Super Mario Land 2 - Ghosts of the Castle

Super Mario Land 2 was the first video game I ever owned, so I thought it would be fitting for the first serious try at remixing I've done. I like this mix more than I make it sound in this post, but I'm a perfectionist.

1. This mix was made on a budget of $0 using a Mixcraft demo, a bunch of free VST plugins, and the crappy built-in webcam mic on my laptop for the two brief spoken parts. That, and it hasn't been mastered per se. Don't expect it to sound spectacular.

2. The idea of the mix was to make a song that's already dark a little more scary. Expect some clattery (not the word I'm looking for, but it'll do) drum parts and high, eerie synths.

3. Between me and my brother, we have all the equipment we need to re-record this thing using live instruments and synths instead of quantized sounds, so if it comes to that, we'll do it.

stats.png

I love the fact that all of the sudden...this tune is being remixed like crazy. Three separate remixes all in a matter of weeks.

Ok, well, this remix follows the source pretty closely, I like the background effects, definitely gives off a spooky vibe. Some of the sounds are a bit...bland and there could be more variation on the drums. The mix overall is a a bit low in volume. The only thing this remix suffers from is low production values because there is a good arrangement near the end.

With all of that said, this is a cool re-interpretation of the original. I like where it's going, and I'd highly recommend continuing with it. Good work but I'd like to hear updates. :)

Also, you might want to put a link to the original, "Wario's Castle" from YouTube or something.