Orchestral: Departure Of The Hero

SJM

Today I finally tried the free "Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra" and so I ended up writing some orchestral stuff - maybe spent 5h or something on that.

Either way, I wonder what you think about it? Because I really don't know anything (theoretical) about orchestration (and my mixing skills are highly improvable, too ;-)).

Here is the link: SJM\Soundcloud - Departure of the Hero

The horn that plays at the beginning and end wasn't very enjoyable to listen to.

The transition into the harp and strings was well done. Their section is well written and sounds good, but the cymbal roll sounded kind of aliased, or something. Which is only something small, since that can be replaced easily.

The orchestral writing is godlike compared to what I could do, so lol.

Overall not a bad piece.

In regards to the horn sound, it is a bit harsh, but to be fair horn sounds are VERY difficult to emulate, and most horn soundfonts simply lack the feel of a true live horn. I didn't find it terrible, but it could be better is all.

As for the mid section, I thought it was quite beautiful. However, I think the strings could use a bit more variation in the dynamics. Perhaps some volume swells could add an extra something to this piece. They tend to drone on at roughly the same volume for a little longer that I think they should. I'm no expert on this stuff, but to my ear I think the dynamics should change a little more.

The melodic content is all quite good I'd say, so not much criticism there. Just a few mixing gripes. Overall, its pretty nice.

Didn't even finish the song and I've already downloaded this soundfont. I have to say it's the best free orchestral sound I've heard. The horn is harsh but some creative use with eq might help to smooth it out. The piece is really nice, I really like the middle section, very movie-esque.

To me, it feels like it just lacks a bit of direction. The overall structure isn't too bad, horn intro, everything comes in in the middle, horn ends it. But the melodies were quite unhummable. It felt a little (at least to me) as though you were kind of noodling the melody, as though it wasn't particularly planned. it feel like it was just going to this note, then to that note for no real reason and there was never really a particular phrase that was repeated.

The whole piece was enjoyable and keep working on this stuff (i'm impressed by the free soundfonts), and i don't think the horn is all that bad. BUT, yeah, the melody seems to jump to unexpected notes and at times the horn plays multiple notes and it sounds quite unnatural.

So I'd say, mute your horn and try and sing something over the top or when you're writing the melody be conscious of which notes seem to fit the best and find a distinct rhythmic and melodic pattern to repeat!

hope this helps,

keep it up,

Calum

Thank you all very much for your feedback so far :)

And @Calum: you caught me :neutral:

Because most of the time I'm really just writing down some notes that fit more or less without really having a big melody in mind.

And while this works IMO for just trying out sounds, when I want to make something bigger, I guess I'll really have to put a lot more thought into melodies, structures, motives and their variations etc. That singing is for sure a great idea, thanks for that tip ;-)

(And of course: to anybody who hasn't commented yet: I'm highly interested in every opinion and criticism I can get ;-) )