OCR01319 - Xenogears "Xenosphere"

djpretzel

Wow... the repeating patterns here work so well! And that singing voice! Wow! That totally kicked my ass when I heard it come in. This rocks. You rock. Honestly, what else can I say? It is a little short, and I wish it were longer, but that which is here rocks so hard it doesn't matter. I'm in awe. Totally sweet.

In order to state my appreciation of this song, let me just say I just registered a few minutes ago to say how awesome it is.

Never have I heard a remix capture a song from a game, make it new, and STILL completely maintain the theme and the mood. And a voice is even added! Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like a real voice.

To put it another way, this song should have been in the original game.

Simply amazing. My hat's off to you, Oceanfire. I will be looking out for your stuff in the future.

Xenogears mixes tend to be legendarily beautiful. Though both mixes are completely different in style and execution, Star Salzman's 'Pillar of Salt' mix also produced a feeling of...wonder. 'Xenosphere' has also produced that sense of wonder within me, due largely to the vocals, but in a different sort of way. Beautiful, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL vocals. Gorgeous vocals. I do not use this word often, as I reserve it for things that truly deserve it, but these are very haunting vocals. Which isn't to shadow the music itself! The opening minute or so is filled with haunting music as well, due to the recognition of the original song, reworked in a different style. I always did love the 'Omen' song to begin with, and really dig the Millennial Fair XG songs. But this is completely different in style to any XG song/mix, I think. It's more focused on producing a sense of wonder and beauty, in a slower, more relaxed, introspective way.

But I too am a bit biased, since Xenogears is also one of my favorite games. It also sparked my interest in Mitsuda and Mitusda mixes. Maybe I'll write more on this song, but I've been long winded enough. Very good job, Oceanfire. A truly beautiful mix.

"Omen" and "Ocean Palace" are two of my favorite pieces of Mr. Mitsuda's work, and Oceanfire brought them together very nicely. I love how well the french horn of "Ocean Palace" blends in with the strings of "Omen", and when the female humming comes in, it makes it even better.

I also enjoy how Oceanfire changed the pitch on the strings at the beginning from a normal pitch, to a more deep pitch. This is easily one of my favorites. 10/10

One more thing: 'Omen' has always been one of my favorite Mitsuda songs. It was very haunting to begin with. Hearing it with (beautiful) vocals seems more like what it should have been, but couldn't be in-game due to technological limitations of the time.

Sorry to obsess so much over the vocals, but good golly by George they rock me. :)

This is my first time posting about a specific song. This song is just beautiful. I have been playing it on repeat for about 3:45 and I'm still not tired of it. This is one of those songs that just relaxes you, and makes you think, and man I love it. I love this type of music because it helps me write.

The vocals, they are small, but so powerful. Does anyone else think they sound A LOT like the ones from a song on the movei Donnie Darko? Thats a good thing though.

ANyways, I'm not a music major or anything like that, but I know what I like. This is beauitiful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My god. This is absolutely one of my favorite remixes ever. The mood is just so great in this song. Everytime I hear it I think of a perilous night sky (though I haven't played Xenogears so I don't really know when this song plays). But when the strings came in at 00:34, I already told myself "God damn. This is gonna be an awesome mix right here". Magnificent (how many times do you see that word?) job Oceanfire, 10/10, I can't find anything I DON'T like.

I love this mix, as my vote shows.

Just wanted to add, though, that there's a reason you may have heard the vocals before; the multisample is from the most popular choral/vocal library on the planet, "Symphony of Voices". It comes with some very distinctive samples, such as this solo soprano (which I have used myself on a few songs).

• 1 month later...
wow, this is definitely one of my new favorites. Those vocals are absolutely haunting, and sound absolutely real (except at that one point where they go insanely high -- but though they don't sound real at that point, they still sound very beautiful)

An operatic soprano can hit two octaves above middle C without that much difficulty, and that's the highest the vocals in "Xenosphere" go. But for normal humans, yeah, that's HIGH.

I plead of you, if you're reading this, YOU -MUST- DOWNLOAD THIS MIX. Extremely well-placed, gorgeous vocals, along with an eerie ambience and excellent tune selection... this remix will go down as legendary. Words can't describe its perfection. AMAZING work from Oceanfire. Simply stunning.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01319 - Xenogears "Xenosphere"