OCR01319 - Xenogears "Xenosphere"

djpretzel

• 2 months later...

The vocals in that song are all done in what is called the Whistle Range. Whoever recorded the original was incredible.

Very very nice mix, somehow reminds me of that silly Chronicals of Riddick movie at one part of the song. Not that that detracts from the song at all.

• 11 months later...

This mix is absolutely amazing. I have been listening to it off and on for months and it never gets old.

I wish Oceanfire did some more tunes as his stuff is excellent. To do his style of music well is insanely hard and involves using strong melodies and very high production values. Not many are capable of pulling it off.

Strictly this is friggin epic, I love it.

Gets kind of repetitive. 0:50-1:07 I'm not fond of, though I'm very familiar with the sound. 1:07-1:24 I like quite a bit. Reminds me of the good cathedral-ish strings from Xenosaga Episode III, and some of Final Fantasy XII, and possibly an area of Star Ocean III. The section after is pretty good. The voice I'm not crazy over. The percussion at 2:33 is reminiscent of a particular track in XS Ep.III within a darkened corporate facility, which has now become a recognizable favorite of mine, so nice touch there. Overall, though, while a slow and smooth constant ambient groove can be a good thing, I really wish the chord progression changed just a tad while still sounding good. I mean it's already a thought-provoking type arrangement/song anyway; might as well have varied it up as opposed to thinking the same thought for 3 minutes or whatever.

I plead of you, if you're reading this, YOU -MUST- DOWNLOAD THIS MIX. Extremely well-placed, gorgeous vocals, along with an eerie ambience and excellent tune selection... this remix will go down as legendary. Words can't describe its perfection. AMAZING work from Oceanfire. Simply stunning.

Holy shit. You're from the same location as I.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Structure and instrumentation are way close to the original, but the voice added was very pretty and added additional sophistication to everything. Nice samples that are well used, with some good articulations, and some new details protect this from lockdown, but overall it sounds like a sound upgrade mostly to me. Doesn't mean I dislike it, but I wish a few additional risks had been taken.

• 1 month later...
...................................................8O

"Ocean Palace" is listed as a source tune, but I can't find a track by any name like that for the Xenogears OST. Is this track from Chrono Trigger?

Yes >> http://ocremix.org/song/68

Note that you can click on songs to see alternate song names and the game they are assigned to.

• 10 months later...

There's just a lingering sense of doom/finality/fate in this mix that is so tasty from an aural sense. I also like the soloist that comes in, almost like she's singing the song that ends the earth.

Ok, yeah, when direct side by side comparing this to Omen, this mix does play it safe and conservatively but it's still a treat. I still like this a lot largely because it's a lot more subtle in its intentions than Omen is. Specifically, there are a few instances where Omen has some orchestral crescendos, but this has much more milder moments. I definitely recommend checking this out.

• 3 years later...

From the moment this track starts, I was sunk into it. I think it captures something the main source track failed to capture, for me, and that was the despair that was so readily running through the course of the game.

The chilling vocalist in the track, too - adds to it.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01319 - Xenogears "Xenosphere"