Soul Calibur V

Honestly, I think it would be cool to have Final Fantasy characters. Regardless of whether you like or not the franchise, they do have a lot of talent in character design and having them probably means more sales, thus more players. Aside from aesthetics and name, there would be nothing Final Fantasy about them either, so it would not affect other aspects of the game.

Also, if they plan to add extra characters designed by manga artists, would it kill them to give them original movesets? The "Mortal Kombat Ninja" days are long gone.

Ditto bigtime....the same thing irked me about character creation in SCIV at least 3 had sort of original combat styles for your character even if they were similar (but not carbon copies) to main character fighting styles.I would've even paid for extra fighting styles for create a character mode. (yeah it bothered me that much) I know it created some balance issues in 3 but that's a matter of polish.

Ditto bigtime....the same thing irked me about character creation in SCIV at least 3 had sort of original combat styles for your character even if they were similar (but not carbon copies) to main character fighting styles.I would've even paid for extra fighting styles for create a character mode. (yeah it bothered me that much) I know it created some balance issues in 3 but that's a matter of polish.

More fighting styles means more balancing means more work. I'd be happy if there was 5 characters and the game was totally balanced.

The thing with balance is that you need to make all characters balanced not only on paper but also with respect to players' skills.

So a move like Mitsurugi's 1A that is pretty well-balanced for expert players because it is slow and unsafe but tech traps pretty well becomes very frustrating to newer players who cannot see it and get hit every time. At intermediate level, where players can sometimes see it if they are expecting it but cannot punish it well, it makes Mitsurugi's mixup game so very good because it means he can use mixups from a great range without fear of being punished.

Obviously, the internet being what it is, you will see things like:

Beginners : Move is cheap and you are horrible for using it.

Intermediate : It is a very good move, no skill required to use it and very effective.

Experts : If you use this move except for tech traps you are retarded and should not be allowed to play this game.

That's why I think it is impossible to make a game that will be regarded as perfectly balanced, and I think that, disregarding Hilde and Algol, Soul Calibur 4 was very well balanced.

More fighting styles means more balancing means more work. I'd be happy if there was 5 characters and the game was totally balanced.

Fewer characters means less choice means less chance for success.

I'd be happy if there was more than 30 characters and the game was balanced enough (no exploits or certain characters who always have the best chance of winning) ;)

EDIT:

I agree with you, PriZm. It's as much about the players as the characters themselves to a certain point.

Even though Maxi has short range and combos which have big, punishing openings, I feel that I can use him well enough to kill

a friend of mine who's very good with Hilde.

"TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE THIS!" sc2maxi1.gif

Totally off-topic:

Father_Knows_Best____by_The_Soul_Vortex_Club.jpg

I agree with you, PriZm. It's as much about the players as the characters themselves to a certain point.

Even though Maxi has short range and combos which have big, punishing openings, I feel that I can use him well enough to kill

a friend of mine who's very good with Hilde.

Well thank you for agreeing but that was not really my point.

I meant that it is impossible for all characters to be balanced if you consider the level of the players.

Mitsurugi vs. Ivy would totally be in Mitsurugi's advantage for beginners

Probably still in Mitsurugi's favor for intermediate players

Ivy by far for expert players

Sophitia < Taki for beginners

Sophitia == Taki for intermediates

Sophitia >> Taki for experts

Setsuka <<< Siegfried for beginners

Setsuka < Siegfried for intermediates

Setsuka >>> Siegfried for experts

EDIT: Point is, to have a game that is balanced across all skill levels, you would have to take execution into account. To counter a move that is hard to do, you would have to do a move/defensive maneuver that is equally hard to execute, and that is just not realistic. I believe this is what people complain about when they say a move is 'cheap', i.e. that it is easy to execute and much harder to counter.

Well thank you for agreeing but that was not really my point.

I meant that it is impossible for all characters to be balanced if you consider the level of the players.

Mitsurugi vs. Ivy would totally be in Mitsurugi's advantage for beginners

Probably still in Mitsurugi's favor for intermediate players

Ivy by far for expert players

Sophitia < Taki for beginners

Sophitia == Taki for intermediates

Sophitia >> Taki for experts

Setsuka <<< Siegfried for beginners

Setsuka < Siegfried for intermediates

Setsuka >>> Siegfried for experts

Indeed skill does make it tough to balance fighting games. Which is why I don't think they ever will make a truly balanced fighting game.

In my opinion the only series where some characters were blatantly designed to be miles ahead of the others is Marvel Vs Capcom.......I doubt there's ever been a day in which someone playing as roll actually beat Iceman or Magneto.

a well designed fighting game is one that is both balanced and without a learning curve steeper than a right angle

I think Soulcalibur is easier to learn than Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, BlazBlue, Marvel vs Capcom and well, pretty much every 2D fighter out there. The reasons being that

1) You don't have to memorize and practice 154 hits combos that do 98% damage to play.

2) You can actually react to moves and punish them without having to do a complex motion on the controller. If you design moves that can be punished only by a shoryuken motion that you have 0.01 second to input, you are sure to alienate a shitload of players.

And yet it is STILL hard as hell to get any good.

Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 was also pretty nice in that respect

So a move like Mitsurugi's 1A that is pretty well-balanced for expert players because it is slow and unsafe but tech traps pretty well becomes very frustrating to newer players who cannot see it and get hit every time. At intermediate level, where players can sometimes see it if they are expecting it but cannot punish it well, it makes Mitsurugi's mixup game so very good because it means he can use mixups from a great range without fear of being punished.

So you're not going to fall for that one. Noted.

so for people interested in the game and, most importantly, for those who are undecided, what kind of features from existing fighting games would you like to see in Soul 5 ?

It does not have to be realistic, just kind of a wishlist/brainstorm.

1) More developed Legion mode like in Blazblue Continuum Shift

2) A story mode like Mortal Kombat's

3) Lobbies/chat rooms like in Mortal Kombat

4) That feature where you can play Arcade mode and have online people challenge you from Street Fighter 4

5) Team battles from previous Soul Caliburs

6) Extensive tutorial like Soul Calibur Broken Destiny

I'd be happy if we got another SC3 story mode. That was so much fun playing through multiple times, adjusting characters' clothes as you go to make them "fit" more into the story (ie, making them neutral/evil during the time you're fighting against the rebels and your former superior, then switching them to noble/good when they betray the empire).

I just want much, MUCH better online support. That's what makes or breaks fighters for me now. It's what's keeping me from really going all out in MvC3. That and the fact that certain characters were unbalanced as hell in SCIV.

Also more robust modes would be nice. Story mode in SCIV had about 5 matches each with literally no exposition in them. Blazblue did it and so did Mortal Kombat 9(no matter how cheesy). The bar has been raised, and a series like Soul Edge/Calibur has some actual potential for good story.

Also, please less terrible lipsyncing/voice acting.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been awhile, but there's been a bit more info released on the game, such as the reveal of a new sword and shield user, Pyrra, Sophitia's daughter, as well as a reveal that will make great katana fans happy, Mitsurugi is back in the frey.

Also, the very first gameplay trailer has been released.

I don't really have too much context on the SC series other than playing SC2 casually and trying to get into SCIV, so other than what look like SUPERS being added in, I can't really tell how different things are. Maybe some of you SC afficionados can give me the up and up.

I kinda wish they stuck with the old announcer voice, though... I know it's the dumbest thing to complain about, but assuming this new one ain't a placeholder, it's kinda "meh" for me.

Anyway, I'll be updating the front page with more sketches and the trailer as well.

every announcer in every single fighting game ever made is horrible

prove me wrong

This is true, however some are going to stand out as "better" than others simply due to the even worse ones used in their sequels/revisions.

Case in point, Street Fighter IV to Super Street Fighter IV, and Blazblue Calamity Trigger up to Continuum Shift II.

Shit looks slick !

This is really exciting and I hope to be able to play it with some OCR folks in 2012.

Also about Pyrrha having the same moves as Sophitia, it could mean anything. Sophitia might not come back and Pyrrha might be her replacement. Sophitia might come back and it the final version Pyrrha might have a completely different moveset than what we've seen in this demo.