Question about buying FL Studio

I'm just now getting into computer assisted music making. I really want to buy a copy of FL Studio, and I'm one of those people who like having a hardcopy of any software they buy.

However, on Amazon the only copies of FL Studio 10 I can seem to buy all say Academic version. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to buy that version?

I'm just now getting into computer assisted music making. I really want to buy a copy of FL Studio, and I'm one of those people who like having a hardcopy of any software they buy.

However, on Amazon the only copies of FL Studio 10 I can seem to buy all say Academic version. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to buy that version?

Can't really comment on the academic version, but I believe you can buy the boxed version through Image Line directly.

As with all FL Studio DAW purchases, you can use the affiliate link of a current FL Studio owner for a 10% discount. If you'd like to do that mine is:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BDDDFEH481

FYI it benefits both the buyer and affiliate.

One warning, though, IIRC the boxed version does NOT come with free lifetime upgrades (the software-only version does). You have to purchase it separately. With that in mind, as well as shipping costs, the downloadable version is really a better value.

Don't get it from ebay. Get it from a trusted site or an affiliate of image-line. Will definitely prevent you from getting scammed. at some point digital is cleaner and better, and should the digital get wiped out if your computer crashes, just download a demo and get your reg-key from the image line site.

I believe Image-Line recently discontinued making hard-copies, primarily because there's very little reason to buy the hard-copy over the digital. Image-Line is very reliable and it should always be available on-line. If it bothers you, you can keep a copy of the software on a hard-drive somewhere, but other-wise I'd just go digital (and get free updates for life!) I highly recommend the Producer version.

There's absolutely no reason to get a hard copy.

"But what if my computer crashes and I have to reinsta-"

STOP.

Redownload the demo, get a regkey from your account page on imageline.com

YOU'RE BACK IN BUSINESS. It's faster than reinstalling from a boxed copy, accounting for opening the CD sleeves, putting it into your computer, and waiting to install from there.

One warning, though, IIRC the boxed version does NOT come with free lifetime upgrades (the software-only version does). You have to purchase it separately. With that in mind, as well as shipping costs, the downloadable version is really a better value.

This is correct, however the boxed copies come with a $50 voucher, which any person who actually cares about value would use for the lifetime free upgrades.

If I switch computers can I just redownload it?

yep. fl studio's demo is the full thing - you'll just be downloading and running a regkey that takes about four seconds through your account page on the fl studio website. you install the demo, you run the regkey, you make music. easy as pie.

i have the boxed edition (of FL 5 :< ) and it came with a text key to give me lifetime updates. so i don't know either way. i got mine academic, as well, through academic superstore, in...2005? don't remember.

yep. fl studio's demo is the full thing - you'll just be downloading and running a regkey that takes about four seconds through your account page on the fl studio website. you install the demo, you run the regkey, you make music. easy as pie.

i have the boxed edition (of FL 5 :< ) and it came with a text key to give me lifetime updates. so i don't know either way. i got mine academic, as well, through academic superstore, in...2005? don't remember.

Awesome, so with the Academic version you have were their any weird restrictions or limitations since it was the Academic version and not a normal version? If there is no weird stuff like that on the Academic version, I'll just buy that and be happy.

Don't get the boxed copy. I bought the boxed copy and I wish to death I'd just got the digital one.

1) You get LIFETIME FREE UPDATES with the digital version. And FL updates almost every year, usually with vast improvements and new features. You have to pay an extra $30 I think to add-on the lifetime updates if you buy it boxed. So it's well worth it for that reason alone.

2) The full version of FL is available to anyone at anytime. All you have to do is download whatever the newest demo version is, and then download your registry key from Image-Line. It's really simple.

3) You don't have to worry about keeping up with a physical disc that's going to be obsolete in a year or two anyway, or worry about it getting scratched, broken, lost, whatever.

4) In exchange for the lifetime free updates, the boxed version gives you the Samplefusion Generic Sample CD I think. It's pretty "meh". I'd rather have got the lifetime free updates.

5) Like those above have said, if you ever reinstall, it's typically easier to just either download it each time, or at least copy the install file on a thumbdrive rather than use the CD.

6) The physical version is for squares.

7) Physical copies make your teeth turn green.

8) If you buy the physical version it means that you watch Jersey Shore.

9) Buying the physical copies ruins the global economy and kills kittens, and you just don't want that on your conscience.

10) I like cheese.

11) 10 is irrelevant.

Hope these tips help.

Oh but yeah, there's no difference (that I know of) between the academic version and the full version. And if you can buy the academic version and get lifetime free updates for less than you could get the digital version, then yeah, just do that.

And you are forgiven for ruining the economy and watching Jersey Shore.

Oh but yeah, there's no difference (that I know of) between the academic version and the full version. And if you can buy the academic version and get lifetime free updates for less than you could get the digital version, then yeah, just do that.

And you are forgiven for ruining the economy and watching Jersey Shore.

actually, like i said earlier, you can get the boxed version with a key that allows you to get lifetime free updates. which is what i've got.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...