OCR01321 - Ninja Gaiden II "Ashtar's Desires"

djpretzel

Oustanding, Sir Nuts. Typical of your style of electronica, and I liked the subtle Asian elements thrown in. Seems slightly more melodic than some of your previous submissions, which I like a lot. This mix held my interest from beginning to end. Again, great job.

Edit: Hm, just noticed that this mixes the same tune as "Sprinting Riffs"... Which I also liked a lot. Anyone listening to this who likes it should download that too.

Also, hurry up and submit "Introduction to Heaven". Just 'cause it's old doesn't mean crap, it's still one of your best works ever.

thanks, I just wanted to add some things.

-For those who got the Vgmix version and liked it, get this one. Its been improved a lot over the old version.

-At last! I'm pretty happy about this because since I started remixing 5 years ago, my wish was to get a ninja gaiden and a megaman song in ocr, and well, only the megaman remix is left :D

-Introduction to heaven is getting a major makeover. Stay tuned.

-Thanks to sadorf for the help with this mix ^_^

You've gone a good job on this, Nuts. Definitely a more refined effort since the VGMix version when it came to the mastering (more than likely to be noticeable on the drum effects, the lack of clipping and some synth pad improvements) and it still stands as one of the more creative variations on the theme I've witnessed (i.e. it's not a rock arrangement like the thousand others I've heard :P).

I saw where Larry was coming from with the flute EQing though, but I don't see that to be a big problem. I'll be sure to keep a grasp on this for a while. ;)

Oustanding, Sir Nuts. Typical of your style of electronica...

Of course. I remember 'A New Ray of Light' by S|r_NutS and Sadorf.

Very cool things going on this remix. I never played the game. But I remember this music. Wow! Beautiful flute. Nice beats. The elaboration and the process of this song are great. I love the other resources too. Definitely some freaky stuff.

Very nice. Excellent choice of sounds too. It may not be as fast and hardcore as Sprinting Riffs, but it's a lot less repetive and very atmospheric. But this sounds more like house to me than trance. Still great though.

The ReMixer writes:

"So yeah as Usual from me' date=' I made a Trance Remix of this tune. Only that this time is not too much of a synth mesh. It has some touches of house and ethnic, with some parts that concentrate on the use of melodies using pianos, flutes, and some other stuff.[/quote']

So yeah, this is more house than most of the stuff I do, but not much like club house, it leans more toward hard trance. :wink:

It's been a LONG time since I found a song at OCR that I liked enough to download (though way back, I DID download a few hundred or so- just not liking much of the newer stuff) But I gotta say that as usual, Sir Nuts kicked my ass (or my nuts rather) so I gave this a listen and now it's sucking up another few megs of hard drive space :) Thanks very much for the awesome listening experience Nuts :D

*PS- Looking forward to your Introduction to Heaven makeover! I already have that song on a CD*

• 4 weeks later...

Just my cup of tea! The usage of the acoustic-style instruments gives this a bit more variety than your average hard trance song. Lots of changeups keep this from getting too repetitive. Piano at 2:00 is subtle but really adds a lot, for example.

I don't have a problem with the levels, myself. Yeah, it's loud, but that's okay.

Only real complaint is the fact that it ends so suddenly. Yeah, yeah... 6 MB limit and all, but a bit more of an outro would have been appropriate.

But overall, a very enjoyable track and I look forward to hearing more from you. I have a few things I can learn from you, S|r NutS. Great work!

I'm currently on a downloading spree, but I had to stop and take a moment to tell you how impressed I am with this work. While I am a huge fan of the source material, this track inparticular, I think your remix brings out the best parts of the original and really cranks up the intensity exactly where it should. The flow and drive of this piece is absolutely superb. This is how a techno remix should be done. You don't overwork the background to the point that it drowns out the original essence of the piece, and I think that is a weak point of many of the techno remixes that I have heard thus far. Kudos and well done!

DeepChild

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Pretty cool stuff; Nice production, and great variation on keeping the theme fresh. The percussion throughout is pretty interesting, nice bongo work, and the flute melody is pretty nice.

I think the flute might be too piercing, I am listening at half volume and it still hurts. Everything else is fine though, volume-wise, and that gated synth is really nice.

Overall this is a really strongly crafted song, and works pretty well as trance. It has enough tricks to keep things interesting, and is pretty danceable.

Check it out, yo.

• 1 year later...

With trance, it's either powerful or it's nothing for me. Thankfully, this one knows when to inject itself with a bit of buff when it needs to and really pounds the melody. I really enjoy the balance between the hard and soft, the tough and the delicate textures in this one. That's what stood out for me most. Bongos up against the strong electronic beats, flutes versus dance synths. And the best thing is, both sides comes out the victor because none of the instruments seem undercut or hampered by the others.

While I did find the piano and the flute were played somewhat hard and shrill at times, I think this is a very accessable, easy to embody trance mix with a strong focus on melody and variation. Which just so happens to be one of my favourite things ever. So, Sir_NutS gets a gold star from me. Score.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01321 - Ninja Gaiden II "Ashtar's Desires"