OCR02240 - Sonic the Hedgehog "Final Progression"

wow its good to finally see this posted. After my tales of destiny remix i spent the last few years honing my skills with the help from Avaris and bLiNd they showed me everything from how to use a compressor correctly to using EQ... as of now im jus struggling with mastering but i'll get it :).... im glad y'all loving it. be on the lookout for my mega man 8 remix and my naruto remix thats also on the way.

oh and as for my wild arms mix im still working on it :)

ALSO ..i will like to thank the judges i know i always be driving ya'll crazy with my style and arragement so i really appreciate it!

for me, this is the "seal the deal" track on the album. I absolutely love it

jewbei knows what he's doing and he doesn't make a habit of compromising his roots in OMFG TRANCE for anyone... so while some (perhaps many) people won't like the fact that they have to wait for nearly two minutes to hear the main melody of the source tune, it is evident that jewbei doesn't give a shit what some (perhaps many) people think. for me, that's what makes it all the more EARGASMIC when the lead finally bares its teeth

this is one of those rare and notable songs that stomps right on the equator between an already established genre and what constitutes an ocremix

I've listened to this track more than any other in the album. I hope there's more to come that are similar to this. This track definitely seals the deal and represents Sonic in an awesome way. Excellent work

I think I know how you feel, I've been struggling for a new YES ;P

By the way, I became a fan of yours since Pretension. Your mixes are so unique; they're very relaxing, clean and simple, yet so lively at the same time. They're violet and sound like flowers, even though that doesn't seem to make sense! :<

About Final Progression, I'm just a bit nitpicky about that lead melody synth, but overall I wubwubwubwubwubwubwubwub

one of my favorites from this album (an album with a ton of killer material on it). the production is great and i think the writing is really well done - getting this source to work in this genre probably wasn't easy, but it seems awfully natural here. really digging the soundscape overall.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice solid build-up in the beginning. The bit between 1:14 and 1:40 was great for the anticipation and things got really good when it came back with the source being recognizable. Amazing job on this progressive track and the ReMix moved along really well. I do think the ending took a hair long to fade out, but that's just me nit-picking like crazy because there is really nothing wrong with this ReMix. Terrific work, Jewbei.

• 6 months later...

Upon hearing this on The Sound of Speed, I really enjoyed it; it was my first proper exposure to Jewbei for a long time (I vaguely recalled his brief presence on VGMix), and to see him pull that out of the bag astounded me within the field of trance. It may not necessarily re-invent the wheel, but I managed to keep a good hold on it.

I've also understood that throughout Jewbei's time on VGMix, he had really, really wanted a review from me, but by the time he started I had come to a stop with reviewing. So to make up for everything, just in time for Christmas, here's me going back to my VGMix roots in regards to evaluating this one!! :razz:

Remix

The execution is pretty much on your standard trance affair, but the writing has managed to work well within the scope of the track. The only real cause for concern is around 1:28, with there not being much of a downbeat with the gradual shift towards the main riff. Yet once the theme comes in at 1:42, its presence is made distinctly clear and variation is added with the gradual building of more synth layers underneath to fit with the genre.

The source adaptation is kind of mixed - when the source comes up in full force at 1:42, it sticks out like a black cat walking on snow (don't ask where I got that vision from). But in the builds around it it's hard to sense much else, yet its presence is still made well with the backing synths starting from around 0:30.

As a trance track it has its place in the genre; might end up being a little lacking for some due to its length, but for what it is it has shown a very solid approach.

Creativity

The variety of detail being provided to the backing synths manages to provide a distinctly fresh direction towards the track. Key components are shown with some solid original touches within the rhythm synths, and there's even a neat melodic rhythm addition at 2:25 that complements the source material's chord progression, and with all the shaping done on even the non-percussive synths it is one that highlights Jewbei's key strengths as a producer.

All the transitions are generally smooth; I would've hoped for more punch on the shift to the gentle string section at 1:13 though but that may be just me.

True, there may be some repetition due to the nature of the genre, but what Jewbei did was made sure that there was enough interest going on in the background for people to not pay much notice. If anything I may have suggested a little more modulation shaping on the lead synth, but it could be seen as nothing more than a nitpick.

Regardless, fans of the genre will find much to enjoy with this track, and given that he's practically bLiNd's apprentice it can be seen as a good thing with his rising skills throughout his recent past.

Production

Zebra2 is a very powerful tool when handled right, and having attempted to use it myself I can understand how the most dedicated of producers are able to provide some solid techniques out of it, and Jewbei has managed to do just that with some careful selection and manipulation (the bass pitch shift at 0:13 was particularly awesome) to really push them over the edge. Even the tracks were appropriately panned; nothing really out of the ordinary happens within the stereo field though, but everything has a distinct presence and really thickens up the soundscape. If I'm to be fair, the track feels a little bit quieter than some of the other trance mixes I've heard on the site; but even then it feels very in-your-face with the way the synths were handled.

tl,dr; Awesome track off TSoS, you're on the radar for me, and I hope to see you keep going strong over the year(s) to come. Go for it Jewbei :D

Jewbei is one of the few go-to guys for me when I am looking for music that enhances any mood without being too distracted by musical pyrotechnics. I'd go so far to say that his approach is really without flaw here; everything is shimmering and seamless, devoid of imperfection. I could seriously just loop this track for days and get lost in the soundscape.

A++ work as trance; just make sure you use enough obvious source for OCR's purposes. ;-)

Jewbei hits us with his bread and butter trance here, - I like that he went progressive with this, it gives more variance and keeps it from becoming too formulaic. The track does a pretty good job overall - I would've loved it more I feel if it had a more gentle & powerful sound towards the end of the song. Otherwise, love the Jewb's music as always!

I'm not big on trance. But this works just fine.

This is great, it builds up rather well.

At 1:13 is has the breakdown for contrast. I enjoy it when there are breakdowns earlier rather than later.

After that it brings in the melody, which has always been one of my favourite Sonic melodies.

Jewbeii really brings it to life with the other synths that come in a bit later.

Sampling the sound of a defeated enemy was ingenious and so is this mix.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02240 - Sonic the Hedgehog "Final Progression"