Eurovision 2011

Wacky

Yay!

Loved the beginning with the big band version of "Satellite" from the winner of last year.

Anyways, here's a very interesting thing I've noticed...

All the songs seem to be in English. Out of 25 songs in the final, 21 are in English.

Curious, isn't it?

I only caught the end of the voting last night (perhaps thankfully...), and it's always fun to guess who the countries are going to give the top marks to. Usually a politically sympathetic move, like Portugal giving Spain top marks, and all the ex-soviet countries sticking together.

Anyway, the singing in English thing really bothers me. I mean sure, everyone understands English in Europe these days, but in a competition that's supposed to show off each country's individuality (I'm guessing here, as it's seen as a total joke nowadays), I'm surprised more countries don't sing in their native tongue. Also, when singing in English as a second language, artists tend to fall into the same tired old rhyming cliches, and it sounds terrible to a native English speaker. At least if they're being cheesy and writing terrible lyrics (99% chance of this) then they'll be speaking Slovenian or something, so most people won't notice.

Then again, if we don't understand the lyrics, we might focus more on the music... *shudder*

Yeah, the big band arrangement of last year's hit had one single problem: it was far bigger & better than 99% of the actual entries.

The Moldovans always show up crazy, it would seem... cone hats this time, plus girl on unicycle, made for an entertaining show.

I was bummed the accapella group from Belgium didn't even make it into the final...

Bully to Azerbaijan for winning - not an awful song, and it's nice to see them get some love. I feel quite bad for saying so, but I actually enjoyed "Jedward" and their 'Lipstick' song - it's a bizarre train-wreck, sure, but in a cloyingly entertaining way, plus the huge shoulder pads and white-red-black mirrored/zoomed imagery somehow all worked. Don't ask me how.

One of the weakest semi-finalists was Cyprus... blah song, and they just kept on reusing the (patented by MJ himself!) Michael Jackson leaning shoes over and over and over.

For anyone new to Eurovision, I strongly recommend checking out the 2009 year in Moscow - of the last four years, at least, it was the strongest by far.

Yeah, the big band arrangement of last year's hit had one single problem: it was far bigger & better than 99% of the actual entries.

The Moldovans always show up crazy, it would seem... cone hats this time, plus girl on unicycle, made for an entertaining show.

I was bummed the accapella group from Belgium didn't even make it into the final...

Bully to Azerbaijan for winning - not an awful song, and it's nice to see them get some love. I feel quite bad for saying so, but I actually enjoyed "Jedward" and their 'Lipstick' song - it's a bizarre train-wreck, sure, but in a cloyingly entertaining way, plus the huge shoulder pads and white-red-black mirrored/zoomed imagery somehow all worked. Don't ask me how.

One of the weakest semi-finalists was Cyprus... blah song, and they just kept on reusing the (patented by MJ himself!) Michael Jackson leaning shoes over and over and over.

For anyone new to Eurovision, I strongly recommend checking out the 2009 year in Moscow - of the last four years, at least, it was the strongest by far.

This year was a disappointment for me. After the last 3 years of total brilliance, this year was way down on the AkumajoBelmont-Scale-Of-Awesome.

It was good to see Azerbaijan win, as you said... they deserve it after all these years. And yes, 2009 was an AMAZING year for Eurovision. So many fantastic songs... particular favourites are Sweden's 'La Voix', 'Norway's 'Fairytale', Bulgaria's 'Illusion' (which was BAD live, but the recorded track is brilliant), Finland's 'Lose Control', Iceland's 'Is it true?', Greece's brilliant Sakis Rouvas classic 'This is the Night', Slovenia's 'Love Symphony', Croatia's 'Lijepa Tena' ... I could go on forever. Really, I could.