Super Mario 64 - Dire Dire Dawx

Chiwalker

RESUBMIT

RENAME

** Unagi's Underwater Cave **

http://soundcloud.com/chiwalker-1/uuc-iteration-3-27

O boy.

I wanted to do a hard trance - ish remix of this song. Please let me know if you think there is a good balance of original:remix and levels in the mix etc. As it says, this is a WIP and I would love any suggestions and am happy to share the .flp file with someone if I think they could help.

Thanks,

Luke

Wow Very nice but I found something pretty weird. When the piano arragement got in It was Nice but there is a transition with the bass from being cool smooth to rather very rash. The bass sound too distorted at some point.

And then the cool break come in and what? I don't know this snare lack in high range and the ride too. But I dig the lead very much. The bass could go down instead of up and would be nicier. When the lead get cutoff now it could get up like you did. ( suggestions ) This put me in head banging mode :) !

I loved the way you added some dubstep discretely. I was even more banging. But I found the snare a little weak. The kick too is a little weak cause it get kicked out by the bass itself. Bass a little too overheilming ^^.

Overall. I DIG IT!

THIS TRACK SHOULD GET FIRST PAGE ^^ But work is needed at some points. Hope it helps.

Wow Very nice but I found something pretty weird. When the piano arragement got in It was Nice but there is a transition with the bass from being cool smooth to rather very rash. The bass sound too distorted at some point.

And then the cool break come in and what? I don't know this snare lack in high range and the ride too. But I dig the lead very much. The bass could go down instead of up and would be nicier. When the lead get cutoff now it could get up like you did. ( suggestions ) This put me in head banging mode :) !

I loved the way you added some dubstep discretely. I was even more banging. But I found the snare a little weak. The kick too is a little weak cause it get kicked out by the bass itself. Bass a little too overheilming ^^.

Overall. I DIG IT!

THIS TRACK SHOULD GET FIRST PAGE ^^ But work is needed at some points. Hope it helps.

I really appreciate your feedback!

I found that I left an effect on the bass that was only supposed to be in a section of the song :oops: so I'll fix that. I did play with the kick / bass levels and effects a lot but you are right, I still need to do more.

thanks

Great update! :) More energy (though not quite enough yet IMO, but getting close!) and nice progress on the piano arrangement (which is not "perfect" yet, but is definitely better than previous version :) )

I think the side chaining is a bit excessive at some parts, especially during second half.

I also think your crash cymbals could use some more "power".

I'm really not a fan of dubstep's typical "wob wob" thing, so I didn't really enjoy this part of your remix, but maybe you're doing it well. I don't think I can objectively comment this part :tomatoface:

Great job, keep it up! :)

i'm not listening on very good speakers at the moment but one comment is that when the piano sort of improvises on the melody it sounds quite weak and unplanned. Particularly in the minor version. And it goes on quite a while with seemingly little direction. Perhaps it is the piano itself - needs more humanisation - the acciaccaturas (when you quickly move from one note to another with a "crushed" "jazzy" effect) are the most obvious! Because it sounded like they hit at exactly the same time, when the crushed note always comes a little bit before and perhaps the velocities could do with some changing too. Was this played in?

That was all i noticed really!

there are some really cool ideas in here but i think, as a couple others mentioned, it lacks energy overall. it feels like it wanders around a bit too much before getting to the point - i would maybe try focusing on just a few key ideas, expanding those, and cutting out some of the connective, slow stuff in between. i think the dubstep portion is coming along really nicely, and i think it might be cool to try a version of this where that's the real meat of the remix. it might not turn out to be the final one, but you'll probably get some good ideas out of it and it might help you figure out the direction you wanna take the final one in. either way, i think there's a lot of good material in here, it's just a matter of figuring out which stuff you want to focus on and which stuff might not be as important to keep in.

it's just a matter of figuring out which stuff you want to focus on and which stuff might not be as important to keep in.

I'm gonna play more with this - probably take out some piano 8 or 16 bar phrase, because my piano sucks - I did record it in, but FL keys + delay + reverb(LOTS) is not doing me justice :(

For the energy overall I'm playing with some mastering multiband compression and EQ, but am not sure what is acceptable/standard for this genre.

Snare >.< Rockos u have suggestion for pumping it up?

I'm very thankful for all the feedback guys!

Has some very interesting elements. I am going to Audiosurf this one as is just to see how it goes. :D

I think the middle section where it is mostly the source melody could use a running harmony in the background. Something that just goes all over the place but stays in harmory. No clue if that makes any sense. :D Just my two cents worth, and take with lots of salt as I am not a 'musician' :D

• 1 month later...

Back to this.

I've reworked the wobble bass a little (just EQ and insert changes)

and added some sampling as well as a new section that goes up 3 halfsteps (just like in the original Koopa's Road).

AND DAT COWBELL which I sampled myself I'm so proud.

SO PLEASE, do you think this part of the song is going in the right direction? I still wanna change the drums b/c they are hiding.

This is just the small minute of the whole original song.

Hahaha, I've only listened to the most recent 53 second loop but this is so cool!! Please do share when you've got a full-length version up and I'll be more than happy to give a full critique, if the whole song is this strong this should be good to go. This is pretty hard-hitting and enjoyable, I know a lot of people who'd appreciate this kind of mix :-)

to give some context, I reuploaded the whole thing with the new wobble section.

-- to this section, I reworked the drums (EQ, SC compression on the basses, and a variation in the section that is 3 half steps up).

-- Also added reverse kicks where I needed that 'vvvVVRROOOOOOOM' punch

I've EQ'd most of my supersaw synths to attenuate the 15-20kHz range.

I also added a (very unsatisfying... but maybe there is something there :-? ) lead in the very bright-pad buildup section.

*Removed*

I'm still waiting for divine inspiration to help me out with the piano part <-- HAH

The small high pitch wooble add-on on synth IS Awesome. Love it. Half-way, when the snare come-in, I don't feel it as other trance track would. And maybe you could add-in time before getting to the second section. (actually trance track length 5:00 or more.)

And the dubstep intro IS AWESOME MAN, with the bowser and mario sounds. But I would add in a layer of more gritty low pitch sound with the wooble. Adding more punch to the snare would help too. And there is a little balance need. Your snare start low on volume and in the middle get boosted for 1 patern and then get low on volume again.

Otherwise, THIS IS HOOOOTTTTT!

I don't have a whole lot to say, besides I think this sounds really good so far. Good job! I've heard many techno/trance/etc. versions of Dire, Dire Docks, but many of them seem to either take the source verbatim, or change it to where it's unrecognizable. You did a really good job on this - I especially like the middle section (around 2:00) where you have the piano melody mixed in. Keep up the good work!