Terraria

Otakatt

It looks interesting, though obviously MC inspired/cloned/ripped off.

My one complaint is i wish they used an original design for at least the characters/sprites.

Sprite recolors in a Minecraft clone does not spell a lot of originality

Borrowing an element from a game doesn't make that game a clone.

Sprites seem to be changed up a bit in the new trailer - I think the previous ones were just placeholders.

Borrowing an element from a game doesn't make that game a clone.

So, what is it when a game borrows multiple elements?

The only thing that really separates it from Minecraft is the PvP combat and boss monsters, which I thought Notch was going to include in the final version of Minecraft anyway.

I mean, even the trailer video makes it look like it's Minecraft. When you're trying to make a new game and distance yourself from being compared to anther existing game, your video really shouldn't help people think it's that game.

Edited by The Damned

Played a little of it, i wish it was more side scrollin' RPG and less minecraft actually. The gathering of materials is pretty tedius and boring.

But the gameplay portion is way better than MC which is still boring and broken for the most part.

Its too bad they wanted to do a MC clone instead of a fun game. I'll play around with a bit more to see if that changes

Edited by Crowbar Man

You must be playing a different game than me if excavating materials is tedious and boring. I just had my first encounter with a worm and it was frightening. I was digging around (which yes is pretty slow it seems) and found a massive copper vein. Not thinking about it, I started digging. Then I noticed a chugging sound getting louder and faster, but didn't think anything of it. BAM! a worm bursts from the stone walls around me and rams me with full force.

For a game that has only been in development for half a year it is fucking amazing.

Also: fuck those goddamn slimes :(

Garian: Again, when the not-MC gameplay kicks in, its way better than MC. I had that worm thing happen only once in the couple hours i've played. The rest of the time its clicking on blocks, waiting for them to break, just like MC but somehow not as fun. Make a work bench, make a furnace, gather materials, make tools, etc etc. Even building seems less exciting since its all stuck on a 2d axis. I like the gameplay, its just the MC part is bland.

Brandon: er I'm actually playing it, and you just think it "sounds rad" how would I be more uninformed than you? It is an MC clone

Also lol at suggesting Dante isn't a GOW clone.

I bought this game the other day and have had a BLAST with it! Personally I feel this game quite different enough from Minecraft. It follows the dig-build-explore aspect that Minecraft really pioneered but has so many unique and charming attributes in its own right.

-

One thing I would like to see would be an OCR Terraria multiplayer server. Has anyone started this? If there isn't one yet, I'd be willing to run one through Hamachi.

-

Cheers and happy mining!

-Krowbar

Gameplay certainly SEEMS smoother online. I've watched a couple streams of it and there's hardly any hiccup. Which is more than can be said for MC.

Seems to do things a little better and a little worse; monsters are vastly more common and deadly (bonus and minus) and items don't drop when you die (big bonus). The graphics though are...on the painfully simple side. Kinda hope they'll release some more building modifications you can add to make it look more unique.

Garian: Again, when the not-MC gameplay kicks in, its way better than MC. I had that worm thing happen only once in the couple hours i've played. The rest of the time its clicking on blocks, waiting for them to break, just like MC but somehow not as fun. Make a work bench, make a furnace, gather materials, make tools, etc etc. Even building seems less exciting since its all stuck on a 2d axis. I like the gameplay, its just the MC part is bland.

Brandon: er I'm actually playing it, and you just think it "sounds rad" how would I be more uninformed than you? It is an MC clone

Also lol at suggesting Dante isn't a GOW clone.

Kratos never used a Scythe.

Argument Over.

Gameplay wise yeah Dante's played very similar to GOW. Is that so bad though?

It was a completely different story that wasn't as good but still decent enough to keep you wanting to play, and really at the end of the day, that is what matters. Not that the controls are the same.

If something aint broke, don't fix it.

I bought this game the other day and have had a BLAST with it! Personally I feel this game quite different enough from Minecraft. It follows the dig-build-explore aspect that Minecraft really pioneered but has so many unique and charming attributes in its own right.

-

One thing I would like to see would be an OCR Terraria multiplayer server. Has anyone started this? If there isn't one yet, I'd be willing to run one through Hamachi.

-

Cheers and happy mining!

-Krowbar

The OCAD server is up. Same address as the OCAD MC server.

Scythe-styled blades of chaos... Claws of Hades.. >:o

In retrospect I also think Dante's Inferno had a much better vibe that just pulls you in, consistently.. First time I played it I had to pause it and walk away for a while.

EDIT: I may be wrong about the Scythe, but it was definitely scythe-styled blades of chaos!

EDIT2: Terraria.. Yeah. I'd love to get it, just can't justify it with what's going on IRL.

Edited by Brandon Strader