Flinstones remade.... by Seth MacFarlane

Toadofsky

So we already know Hollywood is out of ideas, I guess TV is too.

Probably one of the VERY few things that I like from Hanna Barbara, the Flinstones, is now being remade, by everyone's favorite plagiarist Seth MacFarlane.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/116/1168551p1.html

Look, I like the first maybe 3 or 4 Season of Family Guy so don't think I'm some Simpsons fanboy, that show hasn't been that funny in over 10 years. Never liked American Dad, and the Cleveland Show, wasn't that entertaining.

Sure, the Flinstones aren't even that funny for many today, but I really can't say that I'm looking forward to MacFarlane rebooting this show.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

There have been a few Flintstone jokes on Family Guy (one in particular referring Peter and Lois as equivalents to Fred and Wilma), so this isn't a total shocker to me. The guy has done shorts, two "original" series, and a spinoff. I'm not surprised he wants to add an official remake to the list. I think it'll be short-lived, but there will be one or two memorable jokes sprinkled in.

I'm more curious if it will retain the same "animated Honeymooners" feel or if it will feel more like Stone Age McFarlane Series. If you combine the Rubbles and the Flintstones together, you have the same number of 6 "character slots" as one of his typical series. Actually, factoring in Bam Bam, you have one extra character. So it'll be COMPLETELY different.

Back in the day, the Flintstones were still shown regularly on cable, along with many other shows that were made decades ago. So I am sure a good number of us grew up watching them.

And yay, fucking yay, another shitty Seth McFarlane show. The guy has not had a good joke to tell in over a decade, and in each show he spreads his comedic talent (what little he had working on the old cartoon network shows) thinner and thinner.

While I won't care, and won't watch it, I just can't stand the fact that more and more people will lap this up, and the standards for actual humor on TV will continue to drop to new lows.

Of course, everyone will have to be drawn in that same shitty McFarlane style where everyone stands upright at three-quarter angles with their eyes semi-closed.

Uggggggh. Fucking FOX.

Family Guy never was really funny. American Dad is awful and I've never heard of anyone actually watching an episode of The Cleveland Show.

The show that seriously needs to GTFO though, is The Simpsons. There's a series that's been run into the ground and straight to hell. It hasn't been funny for like 10 years. The only episodes I ever watch are the Halloween ones. Even they sucked horrifically for several years in the 2000s because most of them had nothing to do with halloween anymore. I mean, one was about Homer running for president.....wtf does that have to do with Treehouse of Horror?

You guys are really hard with seth. I'm canadian. I don't know what fox presents on T.V. But I found the family guy interesting. I watched all episode in english and in french. Maybe sometimes it goes too far but many of the jokes where funny. No?

Even if you don't like Seth, you don't have to say he's a douchebag or his show are total crap. Some people actually like it. We don't have the same humor everywhere.

And flinstones remade? It could be funny. Why don't you sit and watch. You don't like it, don't watch it that's it. Don't criticise things you don't like.

The Flinstones never felt relevant, or interesting, they were background noise for the lunch hour and nothing more.

pretty much my experience.

Curiously who would be able to do "The Flinstones" justice; some how make them relevant without seemingly hokey or forced. I'd even watch it regardless of who does it so long as it leaves out political rhetoric.

pretty much my experience.

Curiously who would be able to do "The Flinstones" justice; some how make them relevant without seemingly hokey or forced. I'd even watch it regardless of who does it so long as it leaves out political rhetoric.

This is MacFarlane, of course he's gonna shove political rhetoric in. Only this time, Dino will be the liberal... Or the conservative...

IF this show really happens, I'll give it a chance, but I'll be highly skeptical...

I'm curious because to me, the Flinstones never felt relevant, or interesting, they were background noise for the lunch hour and nothing more.

The Flinstones are an important part in both TV and Animation history. It was the first animated sitcom. It's also one of the most successful cartoons in history.

How can it not feel relevant?

So we already know Hollywood is out of ideas, I guess TV is too.

Probably one of the VERY few things that I like from Hanna Barbara, the Flinstones, is now being remade, by everyone's favorite plagiarist Seth MacFarlane.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/116/1168551p1.html

Look, I like the first maybe 3 or 4 Season of Family Guy so don't think I'm some Simpsons fanboy, that show hasn't been that funny in over 10 years. Never liked American Dad, and the Cleveland Show, wasn't that entertaining.

Sure, the Flinstones aren't even that funny for many today, but I really can't say that I'm looking forward to MacFarlane rebooting this show.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

Start watching Family Guy again. After the awful seasons 4-whatever it was 2 years ago, it got REALLY good again.

Curiously who would be able to do "The Flinstones" justice; some how make them relevant without seemingly hokey or forced.

Doc Hammer.

Because it hasn't been on TV for 15 years? Aside from Boomerang, and not everyone has that (or cares for it).

The Flinstones are an important part in both TV and Animation history. It was the first animated sitcom. It's also one of the most successful cartoons in history.

Because it is a relic from the past?

Bear in mind, I love relics from the past, but never for their "relevance." The Flinstones enforced patriarchal values, leaving the women to be the ones that stayed home while the big strong dumb men were the breadwinners. The show also reflects old values of what could and could not be shown on television, which meant that Pebble was born without Wilma ever being "pregnant" or giving birth, because you can't do that on television.

I'd at least give MacFarlane a shot with the show, it's a setting he obviously can use, and he could to breath life in something that was stale 30 years ago.

Looney Tunes have lots of cultural relevance and is a relic of the past, but no one minds when their show is rebooted. What gives :P

And even if McFarlane worked on some genuinely good shows, by The Cleveland Show i don't think there is much good left in the hack.

Oh god, yabba dabba don't!

Heh.

Sorry.

I've always thought Seth was astronomically overrated. Pretty much everyone I know worships Family Guy. I've seen a fair few episodes, and thought it was completely unfunny, though clearly I'm wrong since the general consensus is that it's the most hilarious show ever made.

In fact, there was a show on BBC3 recently all about the jokes of Family Guy. The advert even says "We'll be looking at the genius behind the brilliantly clever gags", then instantly cuts to a scene where Peter says "I tried to fart the alphabet once. But I pooped on the S". Brilliantly clever. Yes.

To be fair, I've fairly enjoyed American Dad on occasion though.

On topic, I'm unsure about the idea. I've never really cared much for the Flinstones. Assuming he doesn't try to inject his brand of 'humor' into it, maybe it could be alright. But it's set in the past and there are already 166 episodes; is a reboot even needed?

A reboot of Top Cat is what we need. Definitely not a Seth MacFarlane one, though.