Gambit's Theme =/

I've always loved Gambit's theme. So I decided to do a home made remix/cover of it.....I'm terrible at mixing and so far I think I've butchered it something bad.

http://soundcloud.com/chrisschmidtmusic/gambits-theme-wip

Well actually, I like it so far but my guitar tone sucks ass so I'll probably just cut out the guitar.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Tips?

Don't go hatin' on your own tracks. This is pretty damn good. The guitar isn't a bad addition, I say keep it!

The drums do overpower the whole song, so you may want to lower their presence. Since it's a short little tidbit, any lengthening of the song should have more variety on your part if you are considering posting to OCR.

Don't go hatin' on your own tracks. This is pretty damn good. The guitar isn't a bad addition, I say keep it!

The drums do overpower the whole song, so you may want to lower their presence. Since it's a short little tidbit, any lengthening of the song should have more variety on your part if you are considering posting to OCR.

I need new strings lol. The drums overpower it? Here I thought they are too quiet.

Thanks, I'll continue workin' on this.

i think this is coming along really nicely in terms of sound quality and mixing and all that, honestly. i didn't notice a problem with the guitar tone or the drums being too loud, but that's just me. my biggest issue with it at this point is that it doesn't seem to be changing or reinterpreting much of the source music - most of it just sounds like a higher quality cover. i think if you did more in terms of putting your own spin on the source, you could have a really nice remix on your hands. keep working on it! i'd love to hear updates.

Well, here it is. It's alright I guess. I don't plan to sub it. I didn't really screw with the arrangement besides adding a guitar solo at the end. This song is memorable to me, because I think it was the first song I ever learned to play completely by ear.

Anyway, it's more of a cover than a remix and I don't think the production is there. So no sub, but I hope ya like it for what it is.

http://tindeck.com/listen/ljbj

Sounds good so far!

And you guitar rhythem tone sound great but a tiny bit too much mids.

But my problems and which are of the following......

You could use some highs definatly, piano is high in mids, your guitar is not panned correctly aswell, when you pan guitar you gotta use the HAAS pan trick which means one of the panned guitar MUST be "delayed in playback" from 4-70 ms to get the stereo image/phase effect.

if you dont do the haas trick, your guitar is concidered as good as Mono.

Last Your drum kit does not stick and some other instuments as well(could mean your mixing hot).

Super Minor problems

Guitar solo is abit Off Beat at times

I dont really like the verb :P

Keep working on this, im liking this.

I really like those drum sounds. Are they from a soundfont, or some type of drum sample library or whatnot? I've always wanted really rocking drums for some upbeat songs like this but I struggle to find ones that are good enough.

At any rate, I'm digging this whole mix. Some nice tones on the rhythm guitars. That lead near the end is pretty sick too, kudos to you.

The piano could use just a bit more humanization in my opinion, but otherwise it seems pretty good and fits well with the rest of the son.

I really like those drum sounds. Are they from a soundfont, or some type of drum sample library or whatnot? I've always wanted really rocking drums for some upbeat songs like this but I struggle to find ones that are good enough.

At any rate, I'm digging this whole mix. Some nice tones on the rhythm guitars. That lead near the end is pretty sick too, kudos to you.

The piano could use just a bit more humanization in my opinion, but otherwise it seems pretty good and fits well with the rest of the son.

Thanks! Yeah the drums are just from EZDrummer.

Sounds good so far!

And you guitar rhythem tone sound great but a tiny bit too much mids.

But my problems and which are of the following......

You could use some highs definatly, piano is high in mids, your guitar is not panned correctly aswell, when you pan guitar you gotta use the HAAS pan trick which means one of the panned guitar MUST be "delayed in playback" from 4-70 ms to get the stereo image/phase effect.

if you dont do the haas trick, your guitar is concidered as good as Mono.

Last Your drum kit does not stick and some other instuments as well(could mean your mixing hot).

Super Minor problems

Guitar solo is abit Off Beat at times

I dont really like the verb :P

Keep working on this, im liking this.

Thanks. However guitar is panned totally left and right. I don't see how that's not correct. Explain more.

The thing I disagree with is where you say "if you dont do the haas trick, your guitar is concidered as good as Mono." As we both know, I'm no master of production, but I really don't think that's true. I have two seperate takes panned. Maybe it's not the best stereo image in the world, but it's certainly better than mono. I did the haas trick on one guitar track before (25ms) but to be honest, I didn't really notice any difference. So I changed it back.

I'm a giant fan of the original. This is sounding sweet. The guitar sounds great and the drums are fantastic. Good stuff, man! I don't know if you're going for that retro sounding brass or not, but the only thing I can comment on is that, and again, if its intentional it gives it a super retro sound which is pretty cool.

Thank you. Indeed, I do love the sound of retro/synth brass.

Thanks! Yeah the drums are just from EZDrummer.

Thanks. However guitar is panned totally left and right. I don't see how that's not correct. Explain more.

The thing I disagree with is where you say "if you dont do the haas trick, your guitar is concidered as good as Mono." As we both know, I'm no master of production, but I really don't think that's true. I have two seperate takes panned. Maybe it's not the best stereo image in the world, but it's certainly better than mono. I did the haas trick on one guitar track before (25ms) but to be honest, I didn't really notice any difference. So I changed it back.

Yes I know the guitar is panned left and right because it sounds overlaped that you might as well not pan the guitar at all if your just overlaping, and thats why im saying you did not delay one of the panned ones rights because it sounds the same, it should sound some what chorus like when you do that, try making comparison recordings, one mono, and with the haas trick, maybe 35 ms apart.