*NO* Chrono Trigger 'X-Veri-Mental'

djpretzel

Hi, ive been submitting tracks to you for the last 4 months but not getting any response form you. I e-mailed one of the judges from the forum and he told me to resubmit them again, soi here:

Im an older remixer by the name of Epoch, also known as DJ Phoenix. You posted a couple of my tracks back in 2002/03.

Ive submitted these to you already buit please can you confirm them.

Chrono Trigger: X-Veri Mental:

Cheers mate, i hope u like em

DJ Liquid Neon

P.S If you dont have this e-mail as my main e-mail, please update you records, thanks.

Just wanted to give Liquid Neon some brief judging feedback on the other submissions that fell through.

Perfect Dark "Supermans In Chicago": Reliant on the vocal sampling (in this case, Eminem) and definitely a guidelines violation. Music is absolutely distorted and the arrangement is very obscured.

SoM "The Likeness Of Death": Same issues as the previous.

Timesplitters 2 "Frozen West": Don't have the original to compare to. Melody at :41 was very obscured; sounds need cleaner separation as well as some more attention to the high-end in the EQing. Strings sound fake moving from note to note when you can hear them loudly. Decent production. Composition changes enough where it might not be a rip, though it would have to have a good amount of the source tune used and interpreted here of course. I'd be willing to fallthrough that one to at least give it a proper vote.

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Corridors of Time" (ct-3-04.spc)

Heh. Nice thick beats introing things. Then some downright unwieldy shit comes in at :19, and again at :32. Wow, the sound balance is ALL over the place. Everything's EXTREME and in yo face nigga.

Wow, all of sudden everything dropped out at 1:10, only to pick back up at 1:36. Reaching 2:00 of this 2:54 mix, so far only the first few chords from the source have been riffed on. Gotta throw a bit more substance on the arrangement side. 2:14 there is some serious distortion/clipping going on with one mo time fo da bass. Certainly a big detraction from an otherwise interesting track.

This is cooler than a lot of people are gonna give it credit for, but in any case, it doesn't use the source tune enough and doesn't do anything particularly interpretive to it, the sound balance/production needs to be overhauled, and the I'm not trying to squash your style, but you do need to place more focus and direction in the piece at times. It can be disjointed compositionally (e.g. Marsland Brotherhood's Speedball "Speedy Guitar"), but the various parts basically need to individually hold up to the standards here.

NO

Tha beetz R a bit PHAT! but there's no 5UB5TANZ to the arrangement.

The whole thing is messy. The synths are automated and interesting, but they don't really fit with each other, or seem to be tailored to the song. It sounds like a bunch of random synths are layered on top of each other with little attempt at blending or mixing.

The bass is way too much. I think I know what the remixer was going for here, but it's excessive and is rife with clipping (the bad kind).

There is no usage of the original other than the beginning chord progression. This is a rejection more because of lack of use of original than sound quality issues.

NO

-D

The first thing I thought of as I listened it, it's just a mess. There's no cohesion between any of the elements. Everything sounds almost too random. The other issues have already been covered by Lion, Dan and Israfel; simplistic arrangement that focuses too much on electro-beats. This needs more compositional work in expanding the source material. Abrupt ending also, this feels overall short and underdeveloped even though going by the length of the piece it really isn't.

Nice, PHAT beats though. Keep working at it.

NO