Students - get free xbox 360 with purchase of windows 7 computer over $699 (US only for now)

Level 99

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/windowsexperience/archive/2011/05/19/students-we-ve-got-you-covered.aspx

"When students buy a Windows 7 PC over $699, they will receive a FREE Xbox 360*.

If you have a .edu email address you can purchase your new PC through one of our participating retailers including Dell.com, HP.com or Microsoft Store. If you don't have a .edu address or prefer to walk into a store, touch the PCs and test their features, bring your Student ID into Best Buy or any Microsoft Store retail location Check with your chosen retailer for additional specifics they may have in place."

There you go - if you've got a .edu email address, and are aching to get a new PC, looks like now might be the time to get a 360 on top of it. It starts on May 22nd, and goes until September 3rd or until supplies run out.

too bad I like building my own computers instead and getting equivalent power of a prefab box at a cost difference greater than the price of an xbox 360

although I must admit that I do have several win7 licenses that I bought as a student so that significantly lowers my costs

too bad I like building my own computers instead and getting equivalent power of a prefab box at a cost difference greater than the price of an xbox 360

although I must admit that I do have several win7 licenses that I bought as a student so that significantly lowers my costs

I would assume this applies to laptops as well, but I get the feeling you don't need/want one, so the point is mute.

Will have to wait and see when this comes to Canada.

Had it not been Level 99 who posted this, I would have assumed this was spam.

This is microsoft realizing they are losing the student customer base to Apple, cause they have something similar for buying a mac.

I would advise against this for first year students. Unless it's a limited time only, keep your consoles away from college. Had my Xbox been with me freshman year, I would have no friends and poor grades. But thats just me.

This is microsoft realizing they are losing the student customer base to Apple, cause they have something similar for buying a mac.

Yes, exactly. It is an incentive to further the userbase of Win7 while also pushing their console (when PS3 is currently at its weakest) as well as fighting Apple with their Student bundle. A console is seemingly as popular to have at college as an iPod, so it makes sense.

I still have my student ID, I wonder if I qualify despite having graduated 3 years ago...lol.

I still have my student ID, I wonder if I qualify despite having graduated 3 years ago...lol.

Hmm, curious, as I too still have my ID despite having graduated three years ago. I also still have my .edu email address that stays active for life, so there's always that, too. Not sure if I want to get into any possible doo-doo, however.

Don't your cards have an expiration date? I know some around here do; at least for community colleges.

Also I too add to the sentiment that a hot console is the last thing you'd want in a college setting. Especially if you live in a dorm that is shared with some one you barely trust or has shitty record of being unsafe from burglaries.