*NO* Donkey Kong Country 'Forgotten Industry'

djpretzel

Hi,

I made made a remix of the Fear Factory Track from Donkey Country, and I would to submit it to your site.

Contact Info:

Remixer name: DJ Nova

E-mail: no_va@hotmail.com

Remix Info:

Name of the game: Donkey Kong Country

Name of song: Fear Factory

Comments:

Well, I like the DKC soundtrack a lot, and i wanted to do a remix, so I just kind of chose a song at random, and started remixing ^^. I got the basics down in like two days or so, but I spent about 2 months fiddling around with the effects/volume settings and so on. I also had to edit the beginning to stay under the 6 mb filesize limit, but I think it still flows nicely.

Hope you enjoy it!

Greetz,

Bart Bakker.

I'm almost sure you used a midi of Fear Factory to make this because of how you left the notes unchanged and just restructured them. The trance surrounding the original song's melody is very weak and simplistic and the melody itself is sequenced badly, such as the sluggish organ starting at 1:56.

So some (not even all) new instruments playing the exact same notes in differently ordered patterns with incredibly sparse drums and synths for support. Very weak.

NO

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/dkc.rsn- "Fear Factory" (dkc-20.spc)

I'm almost sure you used a midi of Fear Factory to make this because of how you left the notes unchanged and just restructured them. The trance surrounding the original song's melody is very weak and simplistic and the melody itself is sequenced badly, such as the sluggish organ starting at 1:56.

So some (not even all) new instruments playing the exact same notes in differently ordered patterns with incredibly sparse drums and synths for support. Very weak.

I think what Binnie was trying to say was that this would have made a hot B-side to Kong in Concert.

Yep, sounds like you just mucked around with a MIDI. Lame as hell. And, yes, that's not harsh enough. Maybe send it to VGMusic or something, though I wouldn't really recommend that either. Should drop a NO Override on this guy, but he tried to do a little something beyond the ripping. Wow, 6:17 for THIS? Nah, bro.

Submission Instructions & Standards]In terms of arrangement - how close or distant ReMixes should be to the original - the general rule is that the ReMix should be YOURS. We don't just mean that you were involved in its creation, but that it is different enough from the original so as to readily illustrate the contributions, modifications, and enhancements you have made. In other words, don't just take the original and drop a few drum loops on top. Also, don't simply take a MIDI file and assign new instruments to the parts, or add reverb, and expect that to pass as 'yours'. When we say 'ReMix', we actually mean something closer to 're-arrangement', if that helps clarify. If you listen to most of the pieces on the site and compare them to the originals, you should get an idea of what a ReMix is.

NO

This just sounds generic to me in various aspects. Instrumentation and samples are average. I liked the synth bell around the 2:50 section, these less frantic sections seem to be the stronger parts of the mix for me. Prior to that 2:50 section, during the busier parts, it just sounded too chaotic and I'm hearing a lot of off notes. I'm not sure sure but it just sounds unpleasantly off for me.

Also there's annoying clipping/crackling at 1:25-1:29.

Processing and effects usage was also average in my opinion. This needs a lot more work. I think there are some nice ideas and a good framework for a good mix, but the execution and concept just isn't there yet. NO