OCR02373 - *YES* Super Metroid 'Dragonfood'

OceansAndrew

Long story short, this mix is what got me to ocr in the first place. Was gonna put it on vgmix, but that site went down. Tired of waiting I finally joined ocr, and got distracted by other tracks. This track had a short trip through the wip board way back, then took a vacation and resurfaced as part of the boss themes project. It's a little better than those previous versions I had, some elements going back to before Eat Your Own Dust (to '04 or so), some parts being _somewhat_ more recent additions. It's always had the signature time sig of the source, but at some point I decided to have a little more fun with time sigs and... this is the result.

-ad

This is pretty cool, I had a lot of fun listening to it. I like how the opening synth is reminiscent of the title screen. Overall it feels like the track has a sort of 'crazy lady' feel, which is a weird but cool image (Ridley as an old crazy lady with 40 cats who is actually a mass murderer or something...yes, I am weird). It's not often that the lower end of a mix is taking things melodically, and I think you worked it pretty well here. I think the low end isn't as clear as it could be, but I felt it was acceptable as is. Nice energy throughout.

YES

pretty solid. really interpretive but instantly recognizable arrangement, well chosen sounds, and the meter changes were fun, though there were a few awkward beats in there. I felt as if the low end was just slightly crowded during some of the busier sections, but overall this is really solidly produced. good transitions too, I especially loved the one at 2:40, and that section until the end. you got a great industrial sound going there. :)

no qualms here, this is definitely some of my favorite work of yours. :nicework:

YES

Pretty fun synth rock here, nice varied drums and an overall very cool arrangement. I think a little more vibrato and such on sustained synth notes would be nice, but there is a lot of other filtering and variation on it to keep it from feeling completely static.

Production wasn't pristine, and in some cases I wish the sound was a little more aggressive, but this will definitely do. :-)

Yes

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just throwing an opinion way after the fact on this. Nothing else to say other than great jorb! [sic] Loving the creativity and dynamics of this one, without a doubt. Agreed with OA completely in feeling that the production and sound should have sounded even more aggressive, but that's not to take away from the excellent ideas and nice execution here. Definitely a side of Rozo's work I'd never heard before, and very cool stuff!

YES