The Witcher 2

Jamphibious

So I haven't seen a lot about this game on the forums, but this game seems to have sparked a positive reaction around the interweb thus far. Anyone else playing it right now?

I'm only a couple hours in, but I'm personally amazed by this game. It has challenging combat, a deep customization system, some awesome storytelling, epic music, and it looks amazing. The new graphic engine they used for this game really shines. And the story is really engaging and has a very mature feel to it.

The first game didn't really get a lot of attention. I tried playing it myself, but I couldn't bring myself to keep playing it, I don't know why. But this game, oh man. I highly recommend this to anyone with a good PC who enjoys RPG games.

If you're willing to donate cash towards me trying it out I'm cool with it. Thing is I got a backlog as it is, plus I'm saving for very specific titles...

I have a ridiculous backlog too so I really should have waited for this >.> But alas, I couldn't resist.

Well, just remember it some time down the road when you have the time / money. It's certainly worth it.

So I haven't seen a lot about this game on the forums, but this game seems to have sparked a positive reaction around the interweb thus far. Anyone else playing it right now?

There's only a positive reaction until you get to forums. Some people expend more effort complaining than was necessary to create the entire game.

I'm about to wrap up the game, but it's been absolutely incredible. There are some technical issues, of course, but that was to be expected given how buggy the first game was at release.

It should be mentioned that it's not exactly the longest game, but I hear that the entire second half will vary based on your decisions in the first half.

There's only a positive reaction until you get to forums.

Welcome to the modern age of video game self-entitlism.

It's interesting how in just the past 5 or so years most video game/forum communities have gotten so much worse. (most, I love it here even though I mostly lurk)

Witcher 2 looks fun though, I'll pick it up when i catch up with my backlog of games.

The first game didn't really get a lot of attention. I tried playing it myself, but I couldn't bring myself to keep playing it, I don't know why.

This happened to me too. Disappointing, but I got it on sale so no big. So the second one keeps your attention in a way the first one didn't/couldn't?

Is the combat system more engaging? Does moving around the map completing quests still feel a little like a single player mmorpg? Might be worth checking out when the price drops.

This happened to me too. Disappointing, but I got it on sale so no big. So the second one keeps your attention in a way the first one didn't/couldn't?

Is the combat system more engaging? Does moving around the map completing quests still feel a little like a single player mmorpg? Might be worth checking out when the price drops.

The combat is much improved over the original I'd say. Its really tough at times, but it feels very rewarding to finish an encounter. The dodge system is a lot smoother, as are the sword strikes. The customization options for when you level up are also pretty great, I've barely even scratched the surface.

And yeah, I'd say it does have a bit of an MMO feel to it. You get quests in town and run around killing things in the wilderness and collecting things to complete them, naturally. There's also a pretty robust crafting system akin to many MMOs.

And yeah, I'd say it does have a bit of an MMO feel to it. You get quests in town and run around killing things in the wilderness and collecting things to complete them, naturally. There's also a pretty robust crafting system akin to many MMOs.

Aw, see, that was one of the reasons I stopped playing the first one.

I'm running through the first one right now, and I've went around on the steam forums, and many people say the combat is horrible. But then there are a large number of people who absolutely love it.

I'll be picking this up with my first paycheck probably. I'm in the second chapter of The Witcher, and The Witcher 2 looks amazing. From what I've read about the combat I'm excited that its more in-depth.

I haven't played either Witcher games, but I bought the Collector's Edition of 2 for my wife. I must say its the most packed and worth the value CE I ever bought I think.

Is that similar to the digital premium edition? That's the one I got which came with the Soundtrack (hell yeah!), world map, and a bunch of other goodies. Though I imagine having the physical copies would be a lot better. I wouldn't hesitate to hang the world map on my wall.

I just finished my first playthrough yesterday and liked it so much, I'll probably start another playthrough with different choices today. The combat is challenging (me likey) at first, but you get the hang of it in time and it gets pretty easy (at least on Normal, gotta try the harder ones). There are 16 endings, if I remember correctly, and I'm planning to get at least half of them. The first game isn't even nearly as enjoyable, the only thing that kept me playing that one was the story/characters.

To those planning to get the game, I recommend reading the manual or at least the tutorial bits in the journal. Otherwise the game throws you in a 1 against 5 battle before you figure out how to draw your sword (which I loved, but I seem to be in the minority regarding that).

I'm running through the first one right now, and I've went around on the steam forums, and many people say the combat is horrible. But then there are a large number of people who absolutely love it.

I'll be picking this up with my first paycheck probably. I'm in the second chapter of The Witcher, and The Witcher 2 looks amazing. From what I've read about the combat I'm excited that its more in-depth.

the combat isn't even close to being the same, and i could overlook the timing-based style of the first with the deep customization and excellent storytelling. then they took a first-tier action game and combined it with those things that i loved about the first. this game is bloody incredible, and if you've got the horsepower to max it out with ubersampling it's amazing. absolutely, purely, amazing.

it just sucks that they haven't fixed the crashing bug. the game draws too much RAM and 32-bit windows will run out of memory, making the game crash to desktop. ignore the drivel on different boards of 'techies' talking about updating drivers and that bullshit - it's a programming issue related to the fact that they never put a RAM limit into the game, just like the first, rather than drivers or registry issues or whatever other crap those idiots are saying. that combined with too few autosaves is problematic. they cleaned it up a bit so that it's a clean crash as compared to witcher 1, but it's literally the only issue i'm having with the game, and it's more spread out because the game uses RAM better.

i can overlook that, though - a major crash-to-desktop issue! - simply because the game is so damned fun. the battles are hard, the gameplay is fluid, the storytelling is spectacular as usual, the characters are as realistic as a mutant white-haired monster hunter could possibly be, and the updated engine is easily one of the best engines i've seen, with incredible graphics as a whole, even during combat.