Sunspotting -- no idea what genre! melodic dance?

EDIT 2: I extended the solo and added a fill that channeled my inner THX, followed by an brief orgasm of NES samples. I added an ending, too, because I might be done with it. It definitely could use a ton of work on the production front, and around 1:50 there's suddenly some weird peaking that emerged out of nowhere that I can't figure out how to fix. And it has 1 measure of Mario samples, so it's really a ReMix! Cool! Anyway, I hope you enjoy what I have so far.

EDIT: Just added a fun solo! Yeah! And sorry, guifrog, you caught me between uploads.

Hey there. I've been away from OCR and electronic music for a while, maybe like 8+ months. I was kind of spinning my wheels for a while there, so I took a step back and focused on improv'ing music and learning more theory. It paid off.

I decided to give FL Studio another shot and try to finally produce my first full-length piece of music. WELL... I failed at that! So far! Instead, I created this half-song over the past couple of days that I'll work on finishing up within the next week or so.

I'd love to hear what you think, good and bad. I'm still a newb, so there's probably some pretty big fundamental errors that I'm not experienced enough to pick up on. Hopefully, you'll catch those; more hopefully, there aren't any.

I had a ton of fun making this, and I've learned so much about FL Studio in the past two days that it puts the past two years to shame. If anyone wants to dissect the actual project file and analyze my methods of doing things (organization, how I automated, how I "mastered" it if you can even call it that), I'd really appreciate the input! Just let me know if you're interested.

Anyway, here it is: http://soundcloud.com/ectogemia/sunspotting-1

EDIT: okay, it now can ^^

I don't know what that genre is either (I never really know how to differentiate dance music), but that's stellar. I have a crush on those dreamy synths at 1:08-1:35, they send me away to an abstract scene with violet flashing lights that play around ;P. I love everything that you've done here, really!

On the bad side there's overcompression (some instruments are eating one another pretty much at times, look at the bass at 1:07!), dry sounds (clap, synths, arpeggio, the looks-like-guitar thing), a break that could use of something else besides that pad. Still, this is a beautiful, pretty, shiny tune.

I can tell you've had fun with this ;D

EDIT: Turns out that when I exported this most recent mp3, I had the snares muted... uploading a corrected version now.

EDIT: okay, it now can ^^

I don't know what that genre is either (I never really know how to differentiate dance music), but that's stellar. I have a crush on those dreamy synths at 1:08-1:35, they send me away to an abstract scene with violet flashing lights that play around ;P. I love everything that you've done here, really!

On the bad side there's overcompression (some instruments are eating one another pretty much at times, look at the bass at 1:07!), dry sounds (clap, synths, arpeggio, the looks-like-guitar thing), a break that could use of something else besides that pad. Still, this is a beautiful, pretty, shiny tune.

I can tell you've had fun with this ;D

:shock:

My first compliments!! Thanks so much!

Not my first criticisms, but thanks for those, too!

Overcompression -- THAT'S what that problem is at 1:08! I just learned what compression is the day I started this song (thanks, zircon!), and you may be able to intuit that I learned sidechaining right after that (see pads once the kick comes in). I couldn't figure out what was wrong at 1:08, but you gave me the word for it, so now I can google a solution! Sweet.

Now that you mention it, maybe I should add a little more to that filtered pad interlude after the bell-ody. I'll definitely give that some thought.

I'm not sure how to address the "dry" synths/claps/arps/guitar since, eh, I don't know what all I can do. I'm still pretty inexperienced. Any suggestions for those?

Gee-hee :mrgreen:

I see you use FL, so just go to the mixer window and take away the fruity limiter to solve overcompression issues for now. You'll need to adjust the levels of the instruments on the mixer afterwards.

For dry sounds... Really, you'll need to 'wet' them. Putting EQUO or Parametric EQ on a desired instrument gives you a clue of the levels from their frequencies, so I'd play with that. You could also add reverb where it's needed, for example. Put flangus and adjust the wet knob, add delay, dunno, it's up to you (as long as you don't mess everything up with your effects :P).

Being completely inexperienced at making anything good (as in me), I really like it. It has some quality that makes it all work. And I'm loving the transition at 3:05. :) It sounds so cool!

Thanks, man! Any feedback is appreciated. I'm inexperienced, too, so even just a "good job!" is really encouraging and makes me feel like I'm on the right track with my skills.

If you're feeling like listening to some more budding Ectogemia crap, please head on over here and let me know what you think of my Earthbound medley! Again, any feedback is welcome.

Thanks, man! Any feedback is appreciated. I'm inexperienced, too, so even just a "good job!" is really encouraging and makes me feel like I'm on the right track with my skills.

If you're feeling like listening to some more budding Ectogemia crap, please head on over here and let me know what you think of my Earthbound medley! Again, any feedback is welcome.

Hey man, no problem. I know exactly what you mean :P