OCR02243 - Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages "Keep Your Nightmares"

Halloween? You don't say... I honor "Christmas in July" every year on July 25. Same would've gone for Halloween had there been nothing to market in May or June. "Halloween in May" would've been on June's Eve, or May 31. It's an early "Halloween in May" release!

To Flexstyle: Do you, by any chance, have titles for your two Lime of the Season tracks?

To HylianLemon: How have things been going with Lime of the Season?

I'm glad Flex is sticking around for Lime of the Season despite having never played the games. PLAY THEM. They will make your life infinitely more meaningful.

This is a pretty awesome, hard-hitting track. The drums are really fun (in a gritty not fun way), and the strange lone melody writhing among the screams makes for a solid nightmarish track.

To HylianLemon: How have things been going with Lime of the Season?

Like any other project basically

trying to remix zelda oracle music is kinda like torture imo

Fun, isn't it

• 6 months later...

Really unnerving start, with the super crisp drums starting, and then ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE! The transitions between sections are very strong, and the section where the drums hit a frantic peak (which are definitely the strong point of the mix) is super cool. The screams throughout are a bit much, but they are treated in such a way that they are more atmosphere than forefront, making it a lot more palatable. The melodic structure is a little loose on this, but the rest of the track is quality.

Rather surprised I never commented on this one when the album came out. This is a really awesome song; Flexstyle really never ceases to amaze, and I knew he'd do the source justice the minute I saw he was involved (this after his Dark Cloud 2 ReMix). I think if this had actually played during my playthrough of Oracle of Ages... well, suffice it to say I would have been scared out of my wits AND rocking out at the same time. Oh, and dying. A lot.

I abso-friggin'-lutely love the intro to this piece; it really chills the piece down and sets the mood for what's to follow. Or at least it seems to, until it really gets going 40(ish) seconds later, at which point I, at least, got completely caught off guard. Really unique track, great for a listen when you're feeling dark, energetic music.

Great stuff, Flex. More please! :)

So when I first heard this track, I managed to hear a huge step up when comparing it to Flexstyle's initial PRC works; even here it does well when taking the source apart (again, 8 measures long... I have a history with these small ones :P) and adapting it well to this much darker DnB setting.

Arrangement-wise it does tend to rely on the first four measures a lot, but there's a lot of variety placed in with the percussion/sfx building and all the strong synth pad manipulations to further amplify this mood - signs that Flexstyle's production skills are really shaping him up to be a prominent face amongst OCR. One can almost envision the calamity for the Great Moblin Hideout coming excessively early by this setting.

I may say that people may not get this safe structure though, but for me as long as the substance carries the mix through, then it's a very appropriate contribution towards Ben's Oracle of Ages album. Nice going, and I hope to see you keep advancing with your work on Lime of the Season too :D

Damn, that's a pretty catchy and spooky intro. I love the dark beat there right before it bursts out into hectic drum and bass. I am in love with that rolling section between 1:40 and 1:55. This really works for a upbeat Halloween scene and the percussion sells this ReMix completely. All in all, this has a wonderful sound and arrangement. Amazing work on this creepy little tune.

What a dark & creepy mix from Flexstyle here. It certainly is not one I'd mistake for the good guys ever, which is a good thing. The source itself doesn't appear to be much from what I can gather with the mix, so it really shows off Flexstyle's touch here in taking the chiptunes and refining it into something more sinister. It builds itself up in a subtle manner, letting it creep up on you more and more as the song goes on. I think a little more silence to the end of the song might actually help bring out that ending some, to help give a sense of the silence from an aftermath of some act from a horror movie.

Great job here!

The melody line in the beginning is haunting. With the scenic effects in the back it's even more so.

The distorted drums in the back add to the melodic scenery even more.

Once it all goes high energy it's like you're being chased around a labyrinth by a demon.

Or I've just got an overactive imagination. Heh

Either way, this ReMix is frightening... and that's exactly why I love it. ;-)

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02243 - Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages "Keep Your Nightmares"