OCR02244 - Sonic the Hedgehog "Clockwork Criminal"

this is my personal favorite track on the album... I've gotten used to and learned to HATE the original track from the OST, this remix has become a kind of testament-- in my mind, at least-- to the audacity of the "profession" we choose as arrangers:

sometimes we have to take utter shit and turn it into gold, but don't ever doubt that one of us (probably willrock or protodome) can remix it with flying colors

I always hated the original tune to Scrap Brain Zone. You know you have an awesome ReMix when something great can be made from a tune that....well, isn't that great. The SFX were a really good addition to the mix and the the melody fit right in with the original pieces. I'm really impressed and it has a nice groovy sound to it. Nice job!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Heya Will :)

I remember this track fondly from The Sound of Speed, namely for all the creativity placed behind the accompaniment writing. And to see there was indeed some inspiration from Michael Jackson's 80s/90s pop work involved was a good direction to take for what seemed to be a more blander source tune from Sonic 1.

I enjoyed it a lot back then because it managed to capture this more industralised nature of the zone to a T, and is emphasized equally when compared to the other tracks on the album which for the most part tended to use more organic instrumentation (or in halc's and Ben Briggs's case, playful chiptune elements). Even the arrangement was marked as recognisable and plain fun, and with all the Sonic sound effects thrown in, what we have here as a result is something that is both quirky and accessible, and can be seen as a huge draw for Will's work.

The judges may have been talking about "low source" here, and even so it barely makes it by only just hitting the 50% mark from what I've been noting down (unless they were counting the Sonic sound effect solos which may account for more time?), but what he did with the source was that he managed to handle it in a very respectable fashion, from the instrumentation choices down to the detail writing to even fitting in a Final Zone reference on the accompaniment at 2:04 - very appropriate given that it's the last fully-fledged zone in the game.

Can't find much to criticise about the production; for the most part it's very clean and easily identifiable. The synths are well modulated and neatly expressed, everything feels well spaced and we have great means of expression elsewhere to really shape the track's progression. Only real qualm that I seem to have may have been the loudness of the snare in comparison to the drums, or maybe that the acoustic tone may not quite seem to fit quite so well in a track of this kind of genre, but they may be seen as nitpicks for what can be seen as a great track overall.

So yes, great track from TSoS, and I am hoping that you will keep up providing the pseudo-80s flavor for 2012! Keep representing us Brits :)

• 3 years later...

Ok, I don't find it liberal and have no problems with recogizing the source. I love how Will handled the orginal source tune, which sounded dark and gloomy. Will made it shine. It's still dark a bit, but has a unique flavor. It's badass. It's groovy. I love how he used various sfx. My most favorite moment here are drop-off at 1:32. It gives this mix some charm. Awesome!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02244 - Sonic the Hedgehog "Clockwork Criminal"