Ainaveltsac Medley (Castlevania DJ Mix, restarted on Feb 1, 2012)

tduyduc

All parts of this album are very long so I can't submit them (and I want more feedback). I am requesting to increase the size limit (http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?p=781691#post781691).

Here's where the songs are located:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=ea81e0060698f530&resid=EA81E0060698F530!420&parid=EA81E0060698F530!119&authkey=!AEeZkMHYdijDkoA

(The 'Ainaveltsac Medley' album was restarted on Feb 1, 2012 and was made for the 25th Castlevania anniversary.)

(I tried to post this into the Castlevania Anti-Chapel, but I could not post anything in that forum, even though I had logged in.)

Listened to the first part. This kind of music wouldn't make it on ocr anyway, so an increased size limit wouldn't solve your problems. The arrangement sounds like a series of conservative takes with awkward transitions between them. Production sounds newby, both in sound design and mixing, and the low bitrate doesn't help. There's some weird timing issues in there too.

So for a number of reasons, this isn't the kind of remix ocr accepts. If you wanna get on ocr, focus on one or two songs, make a shorter arrangement in line with ocr's standards, and improve production. There's youtube, newgrounds, this forum, and some other places where you can release the track... but I wouldn't listen to it twice in its current state, so I would suggest you make an arrangement with a more natural flow and better production anyway. :)

Listened to the first part. This kind of music wouldn't make it on ocr anyway, so an increased size limit wouldn't solve your problems. The arrangement sounds like a series of conservative takes with awkward transitions between them. Production sounds newby, both in sound design and mixing, and the low bitrate doesn't help. There's some weird timing issues in there too.

So for a number of reasons, this isn't the kind of remix ocr accepts. If you wanna get on ocr, focus on one or two songs, make a shorter arrangement in line with ocr's standards, and improve production. There's youtube, newgrounds, this forum, and some other places where you can release the track... but I wouldn't listen to it twice in its current state, so I would suggest you make an arrangement with a more natural flow and better production anyway. :)

I have improved it many times, but it won't be better. YouTube isn't where I can post it, because a video is limited to 15 minutes. I can't split both parts into smaller chunks, because remaking those remixes is very hard.

Probably I'll never be a remixer here...

Probably I'll never be a remixer here...

If you keep settling for worse, then you won't.

You need to change your musical direction and focus more on cohesive songs instead of medleys of tiny song fragments with new instruments.

You should listen to a lot of songs on this site.

Notice how their arrangement has structure and it all sounds like it's part of the same whole. Music is like telling a story, it has its dramatic parts and its not so dramatic parts, but it still has the common theme and setting.

A medley is when you just take tiny different stories and glue them together. Medleys are not allowed under site arrangement criteria, because the point is to rearrange video game music as a interpretation into a different kind of song than it was originally. A good example is I've done an electro latin jazz remix of a Megaman 9 song, which is straight upbeat techno. It's not posted here on OCR because I was younger and wasn't good at production, but it's the kind of thing OCR looks for. There are songs on the site that are the same genre as their source material, but the more interpretation, the more points you earn with the judges (the easier it is for them to say YES)

If you keep settling for worse, then you won't.

You need to change your musical direction and focus more on cohesive songs instead of medleys of tiny song fragments with new instruments.

You should listen to a lot of songs on this site.

Notice how their arrangement has structure and it all sounds like it's part of the same whole. Music is like telling a story, it has its dramatic parts and its not so dramatic parts, but it still has the common theme and setting.

A medley is when you just take tiny different stories and glue them together. Medleys are not allowed under site arrangement criteria, because the point is to rearrange video game music as a interpretation into a different kind of song than it was originally. A good example is I've done an electro latin jazz remix of a Megaman 9 song, which is straight upbeat techno. It's not posted here on OCR because I was younger and wasn't good at production, but it's the kind of thing OCR looks for. There are songs on the site that are the same genre as their source material, but the more interpretation, the more points you earn with the judges (the easier it is for them to say YES)

I also posted my remixes here.

http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?p=103011

But it seems that no one like it.

I have explained there. My plan are to make parts shorter (about 10 minutes, 64kbps, because video game music quality is low), and take soundtracks nearer (make transitions between them).

Yeah, Rozo, actually virtually none of those places would accept that track in it's entirety, unfortunately (YT has already been mentioned, and Newgrounds has a 15 mb limit). You could split the file on Youtube and have it in parts, though (that's what the Hurry album project did with my Minimalist 'In Ab' track).

Don't sweat that OCR won't accept your track. With practice you'll get better. My suggestion is to leave this track alone for right now and focus on shorter tracks, not because of submission standards but so listeners that want to help you will be able to make more precise commentary on your production & arrangement. As it is I can't help you much because the track is too long to really study in any detail.

It'll be nice to hear what you have in store for us in the future.

Yeah, you could slice those tracks into 5 minute segments, they still wouldn't get on. This stuff is awful, and what's worse is you can't tell it's awful. There's no flow to how the several themes are pieced together, there's 1 beat that just lazily changes tempo to match a song change. There's no structure, it's so sloppy and not musical. Don't take it personally, but I haven't heard of anything so ambitious, yet ultimately bad, in a long time.

Don't work on that stuff any further, it will just waste your valuable time and distract you from learning how to make music. Start something else that's a much more manageable size, and focus on learning to improve a 2 or 3 minute piece of music first. If you're not easily discouraged, and stay dedicated to learning from forums such as this one, you'll look back on this Castlevania thing and just be glad you're not at that level anymore.

• 1 month later...