OCR02337 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Chemical Blip'

OceansAndrew

ReMixer name - Anti-Syne

Real name - Jack Lewis

User ID - 31863

Submission Information

Name of game - Sonic 2

Name of individual song - Chemical PLant Zone

So this ReMix was a bit of a wonderful accident. It started life as an original track, until whilst playing round with it I accidentally played those first two chords of Chemical Plant Zone. Out of curiosity I played the Chemical melody into my original and it just seemed to work. This is my first ReMix to really offer a major tonality change from the source, and I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out. Out of interest it's called 'Chemical Blip' not in reference to the blippy, glitchy part, but in reference to a little blip sound that I couldn't seem to stop in early versions of this ReMix, blip is now gone, but hopefully not forgotten. Enjoy!

source

cool arrangement; reminiscent of PR's 'Chemixtrixx' in style at first, but does more than enough to set it apart. I really liked the glitched out, chippy part halfway through. :)

production-wise, it's a little unpolished; the more hi-fi synths and drum samples (esp. that clap) are on the vanilla side, and the lead could cut through a little more in the highs. gets a little crowded in the section from 2:35-2:50 with so much going on, and the drop-off transition wasn't great. the balance and clarity overall though, ain't too bad. despite it's flaws, I can roll with this. :)

YES (borderline)

My sub is having a little bit of trouble with this. Congratulations. Pretty solid electro here with a bit of added funk. The production is as mentioned, a touch rough around the edges but fine at it's core, nothing too distracting. Nice glitching going on in the middle, and some nice FM sounds.

I can dig it.

YES

Absolutely love the new chord progression with this theme - it makes it feel familiar and fresh at the same time, and that is definitely what I look for in a ReMix. Great breaks, great beats, and the counterpoint synth is perfect.

The other judges mentioned some of the rough production issues, which I agree with, but like they said, I don't feel it's holding it back from being post-worthy. I'd love to hear you improve your production skills slightly to get more clarity and power, but I'd be more than happy accepting arrangements of this calibur forever. <3

Yes