PRC195 - Infiltration in A Metal Jungle (Snake's Revenge)

Bundeslang

Just submitted my vote there, hopefully the feedback is useful!

Is there anyway to confirm that my vote went through as my internet has been extremely dodgy and most pages don't load but general the data is still sent. Cheers!

I've received your vote, the three promised bonus points are added to your total.

I have six votes already, but of course: the more, the better.

so i submitted a vote. i hope it went through. i noticed their were 3 drop down boxes for voting?

only voted for one remix, the one i thought was the best!!

good luck everybody!!

I'm sorry, but you are not allowed to vote for only one mix. You must fill in a top 3, without your own song. I deleted your vote (which was #2000 at ThaSauce:-D) to allow you to vote again.

It's results time.

The votes are in.

Total number of mixes - 7 (2 Bonus)

Total number of votes - 9

Maximum Score - 30.

Toilet Goat created two bonus mixes. Both of them where nice on it's own way. Since these are bonus mixes, they didn't get any points.

Mizu claimed 4 points, but it's only rewarded with the last place wooden spoon.

Marcusg voted himself up to the fourth place with 7 points.

Chevamiah received 14 points. He got many 2nd and 3rd places, which brought him to the third place

Gilleece also collected many 2nd and 3rd places. He received enough points, 17, to beat everyone except the winner, so it's a second place

And PRC195's winner, with only first places, is Amphibious with 30 points!

Congratulations Amphibious, your song rocks. I liked the other songs as well, 5 songs and 2 bonus mixes is a very good result, I want more rounds like this. Keep the songs coming at PRC196.

Amphibious, you may select the next source for PRC196. Send your source to me (with a MID/MP3 file if you can) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Do that as soon as you can, but before friday.

You may select any source from any game, as long as it doesn't have an Overclocked Remix and it hasn't been on PRC before. Check it at the list:

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

Here are the votes. The full results can be found at the ThaSauce link

-------------------

I'm very happy to see 5 songs in the voting stage and two bonus mixes as well. Great job. It's the best turnout since #156 I think. Bonus points for all of you and two for Toilet Goat for this excellent choice and his bonus tracks:P

But I can only give one person a first place. It was a hard choice.

Amphibious - Excellent track, very nice rocking style. And variating in a nice way as well. The guitar is amazing and fits perfect with the rest of the instruments. Also a good ending.

Chevamiah - Interesting start. This is a good way to start the song. It is different from Amphibious' work, but this style works as well. The kick 'returning' at 2:29 is a little to hard, but it is only a part of the song. From here, the song is ending and not so interesting as the part before it.

Gilleece - This style also works well. After the long instrumental intro with a nice violin I like the part starting at 1:34. I love the variation of the song. The end is a little short, but in a nice way.

Mizu - Again a totally different song. For a first submission it is a really interesting take. I like the playing on the keyboard, but it misses some variation for the length.

Marcusg - The drums are doing the song, they are a little to much dominating it. The song has many good ideas and I like the last section. It misses an ending.

Toilet Goat - Yet another style. Great work. The beginning is a little too hard. but I like the way you balanced and variated everything in this living song. The ending is typical for this style.

I also liked your other (total different song) as well.

-------------------

1- Amphibious

Great instrumentation and structure, really well laid out. The piano bridge gives a really nice break and the half speed re-entry works very well. The harmonies on the guitar are also lush. The synth runs are very fitting the NES and older game style and work well. Great work.

Now for the contructive critism :P. The production is the major thing in this track, like you said you are new so you've done well but what needs to be worked on is the clarity of some parts. In particular the synth runs need to cut through more [try automating a filter with it or using some side chain compression on the guitar to allow the synth runs to take over] seeing as they only occur every now and again you can aford to have the other parts take a small step back to allow the synth to cut through and accent. Don't be afraid to cut of certain frequency bands with your eq altogether, while solo'd it may sound bad but in the mix it will cut through a lot more and actually sound fuller because the frequencies aren't being cluttered. Try reserving your guitar a bit, your tone is great but in the lower registers it is a bit overpowering [it sounds good when the guitar is the main body but when other parts come in it's no harm to have a bit of automation or sidechain to take it back just a tad]. The drums are just a bit quiet in the mix, don't bother using compression to bring them forward like a lot of people might say. In your case I'd actually bring down the volumes of some other stuff to just have it come out a bit more. The cymbals are sitting bang on in the mix, it's just the kick and snare that need to move forward. The kick more so then the snare, try running an EQ along the band with a high Q to pick out the attack and body of the kick, then accent those parts and roll off slightly the other parts [also your kick should be sitting above your bass altogether about 100hz - 150hz for the body and the bass tends to be having it's sweet spot around 60hz] so feel free to roll off below 80 altogether for the kick to allow it to cut through [although for the parts at like 3.15 I'd probably bypass the eq and bring the full kick back in seeing as it's got a lot more room, just to fill it out nicely]. As for the piano, I'm not sure if you were going for a realistic sound or which but I'd probably contrast the velocities more and have a bit more swing. That's pretty much all the Constructive cristism I can give. Just try to get the lower guitars a bit clearer and balance the levels some more is it in a nutshell.

Overall great work and well deserving on my number 1. Good work, I enjoyed it and fair play for being new to mixing rock. Distorted guitar can take a lifetime to master in the studio. Keep up the great work and best of luck mate. ;)

2. Chevamiah

Nice atmospheric start. Good progession, I would class this as much more Prog House then Electro/Dubstep. The sort of harsh synth is somewhat reminiscent but also found commonly in house so [no offense intended] but there isn't really any Electro/Dubstep in this.

Over it's got a nice atmospheric vibe and good space, I quite like the sort of hollywood movie string build up, works quite well [just be care with the volume as it's much louder then everything else]. The bass is quite over powering in the production in this track and sort of throws all the mids and leads to the background, although this may be your intention.

It's a good remix, it just needs a good bit more clarity and structure. The build ups seem sort of random and the piece doesn't seem to have a clearly defined structure or form which makes it sort of hard to follow. Still though, well deserving of my second vote and it has a lot of potential. Good work and keep it up, I'll be keeping it on my harddrive ;)

3. Mizu

I really enjoy the opening idea, the arpeggiated acid works really well, as does the hihat line to give the track drive. The random tempo boost at 1.00 or so in, was it intentional? I kind of assumed it wasn't as it is quite sudden and at a sort of random spot and throws the listener of a bit.

I can't really give any feedback on the production as it's too hard to hear, was this recorded through your laptop microphone? [Not trying to insult or anything, just wondering!] If you need any help recording directly from your stereo mix or exporting sounds drop me a pm or such and I'd be more than happy to help.

The track is interesting and I quite like the arpeggiated idea, it's just too repetetive and sort of lingers but it does have a very nice drive and push to it. The changed right at the very end works well, you could try introducing it earlier in the remix and expanding it.

Overall it's good, especcially for your first attempt. Once you get an actual recording I can give you much more specific and useful feedback then but a solid 3rd place for me. Good work and definitely keep it up!!

That's me, cheers to everyone for the music!!

-------------------

1. Amphibious- I felt that his remix was the best overall because he played guitar.J/k. This track was just good. Great transition and variations. Can keep listeners entertained. Would be a good ocr submission imo.

2. Gileece- I like dnb and the mixdown was pretty good overall. I like the mixture between orchestrated instruments, synthesis and bass. I would add little more variation in the drums in the dnb.

3. Chevamiah- I respect this track for its originality. Trying to be different with that Daft Punk feeling, but the only problem with this track was the mix did not blend very well imo. Some notes just didnt blend well I think it might of been the low bass notes.

-------------------

I really dig the sort of Daft Punk vibe from Chevamiah's entry. Pad and synth sounds are really smooth and fit together pretty well. Pretty solid production all around, and nice variation when it switches to a more dubstep style.

Marcusg snuck an entry in on the last day but I have to say its pretty good. The beat is pretty tight, I dig that. Some nice variation on the melody also.

Gilleece had a pretty decent take at a drum and bass remix. Considering its his first shot at drum and bass it turned out quite nicely. Dirty bass sound (Me likey).

-------------------

It was difficult for me to cast my vote between the two competitors: Amphibious and Gilleece.

Both contestants stood out from the other remixers with their peculiarity they had brought in to their mixes.

First of all, Gilleeces drum 'n bass mix was nicely done; I really liked the whole song, the piano somehow put me on an awesome mood, though in my humble opinion the high "rock organ" could've been done differently, but thats just my way of thinking. Overall a very good remix.

Secondly, Amphibious had done a guitar remix, which I liked really much, for I play guitar by myself on an amateur level, and I appreciate people playing with their real-life instruments, not always a remixing a full song on their computers.

3rd place for Mizu because its his first time of submitting and he's actually recorded the sounds he makes on a electric keyboard, though I can't recognize the song at all from his remix.

I really appreciate that this song got remixed, because it is one of the better memories I have of my childhood... In total I liked everyone's song in someway, but in the end Amphibious brought his "organic" form of playing to his remix, and for me, that makes his remix the winner between Gilleece and the rest.

-------------------

1. Amphibious- I felt that his remix was the best overall because he played guitar.J/k. This track was just good. Great transition and variations. Can keep listeners entertained. Would be a good ocr submission imo.

2. Gileece- I like dnb and the mixdown was pretty good overall. I like the mixture between orchestrated instruments, synthesis and bass. I would add little more variation in the drums in the dnb.

3. Chevamiah- I respect this track for its originality. Trying to be different with that Daft Punk feeling, but the only problem with this track was the mix did not blend very well imo. Some notes just didnt blend well I think it might of been the low bass notes.

-------------------

First of all, I can't remember the last time with 5 entries! :D Good job everyone!

It was hard choosing between Amphibious and Gilleece. Gilleece did what I was trying to do, I did a try, but I had a hard time with the tempo. Great dubstepish lead!

Amphibious got first cause of a solid track all the way, great mixing too!

marcusg came third mainly cause of better mixing than the other entries.

-------------------

I thought Amphibious had the standout arrangement in the set. Production was pretty good, and I was engaged for the length of it.

-------------------

Amphibious: Rock on

Mizu: Groovy but get a sequencer software.

Chevamiah: Groovy as well, me likes.

toilet_goat: Trancy and loud it's my motto.

Gilleece: very cool rendition, transitions could've been smoother.

marcusg: short and sweet, I enjoyed it.

Overall very good round. Had a hard time deciding for some of these. I would have liked to include marcusg's in the top three, it was very close to the other 2.

-------------------

amphibious had the best mixing, using guitar and synths and pianos and the drumming had good variety,

i am a fan of dnb, so gileece gets second,

and mizu's was ok as well lol