Finalbattleofalltime

Be fair warned I am known for my thorough critiques!

Sounds like something you'd hear from a strategy game published by Atlus like Yggdra Union, or something like that for the PlayStation 1.

It's got some good moments; however, it definitely is rough in several spots and I'd recommend some tune-ups here and there:

notably:

-the transition at 0:12. Now, we all like a good bass intro, but I don't feel like it flows into the song that follows well at all, almost like it was included at the beginning before you knew which way the song was going. You know how in

it's got that long, slow, and thoughtful intro that is radically different from the rest of the song, which is fast-paced and frantic? Try to listen to how that bridges the gap between the two sections, because no one will listen to your track without being violently jarred out of their listening mood in the first 12 seconds or so.

As I said, find a better way to make that bass line work, or trim the fat, so to speak. I'm sure you put it in there for a reason, but it needs some fixing.

-I am not sure if the percussive instruments need a little bit more reverb or effects... as they stand right now they work, but sound a little flat and lifeless. As I said, I think it's mainly because the samples just kind of die after the attack, and feel very mechanical. It's your call though, and it's not a big deal.

-the first major part after :12 feels a little muddy- it feels either that there is too much going on, or there is too much sound hitting the middle, or that there are too many instruments playing at once. Sometimes making silence is as important as making melodies in composition. Now, it's not all that bad (really!), I'd just do a few things like put the volume down on the bass a teeeeny bit, and pan the non-arpeggiated piano bit to the side some more (and lower its volume too). That should be good up to the song hits :42 or so.

Really, most of the problems with "muddiness" in this piece can be solved with volume control, namely, quieting down some instruments at several points and putting them in the background, to compliment the melody, not fight for it.

-the choral solo at 1:37 or so needs a low bass to help it out (like it immediately gets a few seconds later). The choir Aah sample is not good enough on its own to do a solo like that. Too scratchy. However, that scratchiness can be drowned out with a bass or something.

-the piano at 2:00 is kinda dissonant, and that opening section doesn't really mesh well with what goes before and after. Once the rest of the accompaniment comes in, that dissonance just goes away, making its one appearance seem a little extraneous. I would change it up or cut it if I were making the song. But then again, I'm not. All I say is that it sounds out of place.

-I think the synth and choir solo at 2:21 needs a little bit of quieting down- they run into each other, it seems like

-the harmonica...? the brass trumpet? whatever the sample is at 2:47 is a little too grating and prominent. I think it needs to be pushed to the side a little bit more, because out in the middle like it is it isn't really working for me.

Now, you may think I only have suggestions for improvement, but that is not the case!

I actually really liked most of your song, and thought it pretty well-done from a melodical perspective- I love the piano arpeggios ascending periodically, and think that gives the song a really nice flavor to it.

The drum bits are cool and I like you using a little variety in your drum loops, so kudos on that.

When things work in this song, they really work- I like the flow and the energy behind everything. That being said, do I think there is plenty of work to be done? Yes. But I only say that because I think the song is kind of like an uncut gem at this point, needing refinement and polish so it can really shine.

Thanks for the detailed review, I am probably too lazy to do it right now but it sounds like your suggestions are very good.:grin: The intro was actually that dissonant piano part in the middle of the song, at first. Then I got tired of it and decided to scrap the entire song...was going to make a new beat sort of like Sonic in the Sewer, but I thought it didn't have enough "umph" to stand on it's own, so I decided it should be the intro, that way people would have a break from the rest of the song once it repeats, since the intro would not match with the rest of the song's atmosphere. Personally I like the bluesy piano part in the middle, but I guess we all have different taste:razz:

PS: You can tell I'm not working with the highest grade stuff, used a midi-like soundfont for the entire song. There is one advantage though, it is not as muddy this way and composition is much cleaner. one reason retro music sounds more musical than modern stuff.

SoundBoard - yeah i normally don't compose stuff like that, its not like i can't, its just music like that isn't really my style, you hear it in movies and stuff everyday, and I say leave that stuff to Hollywood lol. Not trying to knock it though if u like it. :-D i was just basically going for an animeish song.

PS: Also, the battle is more of a long, drawn out, psychological battle for the fate of the universe, the battle to end all battles.

Yeah, if there's one thing I like, I like the crisp sounds of midi-ish soundfont instruments a whole lot more than the more modern counterparts. I suppose it is a preference thing, but I feel that when you have such an obvious limitation as a soundfont like that, you can "get" more out of it.

Like I said, it would feel right at home on a PS1 game or Atlus RPG.

Yeah, if there's one thing I like, I like the crisp sounds of midi-ish soundfont instruments a whole lot more than the more modern counterparts. I suppose it is a preference thing, but I feel that when you have such an obvious limitation as a soundfont like that, you can "get" more out of it.

Like I said, it would feel right at home on a PS1 game or Atlus RPG.

It's not just that, it's just modern vst's rely heavily on reverb to sound good, delay effects ect. A lot of them have a long attack as well. The worst part is most of them just sound bland and cookie cutter euro, and the harmonics never really blend well with the other presets. Believe me I've tried most of them, flipping through every preset and never really finding the sound I've wanted, always settling for less than I needed. The only internet VST I haven't tried yet is Nexus, which I've heard good things about (and maybe a few others, which I didn't feel too compelled about). Otherwise if you want something modern and good you might need an analogue keyboard.