*NO* Final Fantasy 10-2 'Eternity for Percussion Ensemble'

djpretzel

Hello there,

First off, sorry for my first submission. Didn't read the 6MB limit. This one's under that.

Hope you like it

Etenity for percussion ensemble

From FF X-2

When I played Final Fantasy X-2 for the first time, I immediately fell in love with the opening tune. The urge to arrange the piece for my percussion group was so great that I arranged it within 2 days after buying the game. And here it is. Hope you like it

Remixer name: TheNelis

email: info@nielsvanderleest.com

Kind regards,

Niels van der Leest

http://www.noderunner.net/~llin/psf/packs/FFX-2_psf2.rar - 101 "Eternity ~Memory of Lightwaves~"

Ah MAN. Why's it gotta be a straight cover? Damn. Then it basically repeats after the halfway point. Well, fuck.

Popping sound at 1:05, along with other light pops along the way. Good atmosphere though the overall sound could be sharper, as it's a bit muffly and I'm hearing some light (not bothersome) hissing. Get some higher frequencies into the picture.

Got to 1:41 and we're basically just retreading. The drums in here sound a bit too artificial. 2:23, still essentially the same composition as the PSF. Not saying it's just a rip or anything, but get interpretive too. Even the album version of the original only goes for 2:37, so if you're going for a 3:28-long mix, bring some further creative interpretation to the table or you won't make it. That's not a real ending at 3:17 either. Bring a resolution into the picture.

Anyway, my girlfriend liked it, so she'll be hanging onto it. This was a really unique offering relative to all other music I've heard in my time in the community, but if the arrangement hits auto-pilot it's all but over. Give your production and the level of creativity on the arrangement a kick. This had the potential to be a very well-received mix, Niels, but you need to put more work into it. Come on back with it.

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

Main problem is the arrangement is pretty conservative, if you can even call it an arrangement. Expand on the theme more, add your own exploration of the melody or harmonic content. This is just too straight forward.

I like the vibe going on in this one though. Vibe + 1.™

Definitely a lot of popping issues throughout like at 2:22. Other aspects of the production are pretty dry. The recording quality sounds very dull. I think this needs more reverb for some processing. Maybe a small room. This could benefit from some EQing too.

I hope to see more of your works soon. We need some interesting concepts like these. Cool stuff, but it just isn't polished or arranged enough. NO

i heard this first a while back and was captivated by it. its charged and passionate. its unusual and brilliant. the vibe, as gray pointed out, is excellent.

i'm going to disagree with my fellow judges on this one. the arrangement might not go to many places with this but does it need to? i don't think there's a standardized quality to "going places" necessarily if the track isn't intended to be progressive in nature. that said, i think it does, in fact, go places but in a different manner (the mood and vibe are just phenomenal)

plus wasn't interpreting videogame music creatively the whole premise? have you heard anything like this in... ever?

i dunno. i'm giving this a yes. its an extremely interpretive track as it is even if it isn't the musical ideas that are being interpretive...

YES

As a percussionist, I do appreciate the effort at an actual, authentic percussive piece. I've played more than my fair share of them, and have no problem imagining this as an actual performed arrangement. But unfortunately, there in lies the problem.

This is a decent arrangement plagued by shoddy production. Normally it isn't too much of a big deal if the instrumentation and orchestration is solid (which it is, in this case), but the production really weighs this one down. It sounds like the artist is trying to make it sound humanized, but it really just sounds sloppy in many cases. Along with the totally fake timpani entrance, and the chimes that are a bit to ringy, GM sounding - there's enough of a sound quality problem to reject this. Also, the arrangement is indeed fairly similar to the original, not enough to warrant rejection by itself, but enough to keep it from redeeming the rest of the piece's problems.

Almost there, a boost in SQ would probably put this one into acceptance territory. GJ though.

NO

-D

• 3 weeks later...

i really like the idea. the problems i have with this are mainly technical. There seem to be a lot of crackles and pops. furthermore, there's lots of bloom in the low end of the vibes. needs some EQ very badly.

the arrangement isnt very expansive, but i think the technical issues are bigger in this case.

NO