OCR02370 - *YES* Sonic Advance 'The Glacier's Peak'

OceansAndrew

remixer name: jmr

remix title: The Glacier's Peak

game: Sonic Advance

composers: Tatsuyuki Maeda, Yutaka Minobe

song: Ice Mountain Act 1 -

This one was first hastily put together for Dyne's An OverClocked Christmas V4 over the course of two days in December 2010. I started off with the idea of re-creating the song as a music box jingle, and just expanded on it from there. (I was considering recording an 'introduction' consisting of me winding up a music box, but I thought it would be too cheesy.)

Like my Mario Galaxy remix, the arrangement is close to the original, but I think I've deviated from and expanded on the one-minute long source tune enough to pass the bar here.

Enjoy!

... and expect another one (a resub of my track from last year) from me in three week's time. :)

-Jeff

ooh, killer source tune! considering your posted mix, this seems right up your alley. :)

on to the mix.. boy was I right. ;-) arrangement does take the pretty conservative route for the first half, keeping a lot of the writing the same but swung and with some added embellishment. the second half makes up for it with good harmonies and counterpoint while keeping the general vibe the same. it's close, but I'd say this is interpretive enough to pass.

I thought the bass was a little quiet at first, but on repeat listens, it's no bother. digging your bell and piano samples, and the mix definitely has a wintery vibe to it. I enjoyed this quite a bit. :)

YES

I feel that the soundscape is a little dry in spots, but overall has a pleasant vibe that I really enjoy. The arrangement starts pretty conservatively, but evolves slowly into adding additional parts, making it feel progressive.

I think a little bit of extra detail work would have improved this a good deal, and as-is it's dangerously close to the bar; i'm not certain how other judges would take this, but i'm ok passing it.

Yes

Personally I love how you swung the rhythm; it adds a really fun bounce to the track and really makes it feel happy-go-lucky. Agreed with Andrew that it feels a little dry overall, which is a little distracting, but not a dealbreaker. Arrangement is conservative, but I think it gets the job done and has a decent amount of personalizing and expansion.

YES

• 2 months later...

For some reason, this reminds me of Mazedude's Reich Lake. I guess something about the repeating chromatic percussion :).

Definitely agreed that this is on the dry side. It didn't really bother me until the piano melody entered at :22. I think this could've been pushed back & softened with some reverb without losing the effect you're going for. Some of the high strings stuck out as dry as well at 1:37, which leaves them exposed and loses some of their realism. Overall, though, the production is nice and clear sounding.

I was worried about how conservative this way gonna be, but you brought some additional interpretation as it progressed, while keeping the background underpinning everything.

A few notes I wasn't too sure about in the :42-:50 range which may have been outside the chord; a couple notes in 2:41-2:43 just sounded flubbed with some awkward cutoffs. I don't think I'm going to go conditional on something like this, but it might not hurt to ask about these.

Various minor issues aside, this is a very nice, laid-back track you've put together here, Jeff.

Yes (ask about piano notes)