Frozen Synapse

Newt

http://www.frozensynapse.com (and/or on steam)

If anyone else thought the planning stages were the best part of the Rainbow Six games, buy this.

2 keys for $20; so spread the love or organize some group buys.

Mostly, I just want to support good indie games and also get more people to play with. Anyone who cares about music- 'Critically-acclaimed electronica soundtrack by musician nervous_testpilot' whoever that is..

electronica gets too much critical acclaim :<

the number of games that have electronica soundtracks is extremely annoying; but in an industry where most games aren't original, it's too much to ask that the soundtrack is also creative or unique

also, turn-based? not like... I'm sure the trailer is what the game would look like if it was not turn based

edit: sorry if I sounded harsh against indie games with electronica, but I'm tired of it :-( It's all i ever hear in indie games and it's all they ever ask me to make as an indie composer <_<

This is actually a really solid game. I'm impressed with the execution, especially with such an original concept. At least, it's the first game I've seen do it. The soundtrack is also really good, it has a nice subdued feel to it. Reminds me a bit of SpaceChem's soundtrack, if you've played that.

The first night was pretty laggy, had some trouble with slow servers. I'm guessing they weren't prepared for such a high load of users. However, they've since upgraded to ten different servers, should alleviate the trouble.

I played a few matches with my brother, and I've been enjoying it immensely. The trailer really doesn't do it justice, what with the heavy emphasis on planning and thinking. I really ought to put up a few replays or commentaries that go turn by turn at some point, to more accurately relay the gameplay experience.

In a way, it plays like a cross between counterstrike and chess. Both players spend an indefinite amount of time planning out the actions of tactics of their pieces, and then both players' plans are executed simultaneously in five-second segments. Very unique feel to the whole thing.

It's not much of a spectator game, and is similar to chess in that regard. You can watch a chess game as a spectator, but unless you're playing or the players are keeping notes or something, then you won't get an accurate feel for what's going on in the player's mind.

At least, it's the first game I've seen do it.

It looks/plays/feels rather similar to the planning stage of the missions in Rainbow Six. Not an entire game, but similar things have been done. The scale and execution really make it shine though.