OCR01324 - Sonic & Knuckles "Tomorrow's Wake"

djpretzel

Well, as usually, I drifted out of noticing to the solo piano, but it brought me right back to attention, unfortuantely a bit close to the end around 2:53. It's rather slow and deliberate listenning before-hand, which in of itself, even though it had lost my attention, is somewhat soothing, but at 1:20, it somewhat loses that quality, yet overall it is not destroyed. Decent, but I simply usually look for more energy myself, but I suppose if you keep a Sonic collection, this offers decent contrast to most others.

Sonic music has always amused me. I'm a sucker for piano music, so when I saw the mix, it has two things going for it already!

It's a relaxing track, sure. It wasn't everything I hoped it would be, not sure why. But if you enjoy the piano remixes on this site, give this a listen. In my opinion, there are better, but that doesn't mean this one is not a quality mix. Just my opinion, is all.

Very enjoyable - a 'sweet' mix that could just as easily fit into The Sims (you know, the building music). Although it seems like the judges had some technical concerns with it, I would just like to reinforce the fact that it is a very well done piece of work - one that will be on my playlist for a long time to come. Great Job!

Wow. This is quite a ride... the rhythm jumps all over the place like a bucking bronto trying to shake me off its back, and yet I like it. Slow but lilting, with sharp staccatto accents that emphasize the gaps. Uncomfortable, but addicting. When there are runs (not many) near the end, they stagger like a drunk falling down the stairs on top of the lilting background.

I think listening to this is kinda like eatting spicy salsa. It hurts SO BAD but I just can't stop putting it into my mouth. Thanks! I enjoy! Probably won't be everyone's cup of tea, but for me, this is good. Well done.

I've been waiting forever for a remix of Sky Sanctuary from S3&K, as it was one of the three songs that I felt topped Ice Cap. Understandably, I had very high expectations. When I realized that this was a remix of that, my heart sank.

You can't make just anything into a piano solo. Unless it was specifically composed with the sound and limits of the instrument in mind, it will usually sound unsupported.

I understand the concept behind it, (using rhythm and striking force to convey emotion while the actual melody remains the same) and it works pretty well to convey the mood of the stage. However, it lacks anything to captivate my attention. The tempo was slowed a bit from the already dramatic pace, and the lack of variation in sound makes it difficult for me to focus on, even when I am consciously trying to.

It is not without merit. But it only satisfies me intelectually, and it bores all the other parts of my mind that I like to stimulate with music. I can't say the remix was poorly done, because I'm fairly certain it sounds exactly like Rexy wanted it to, which bespeaks vision and talent. And I would like to hear what he could do if he took it in a different direction. One with more instruments.

And I would like to hear what he could do if he took it in a different direction.

In the words of chthonic, I'm "totally a girl". :P

Mind, I'm surprised with the response granted all around it. I for one had a lot of fun playing the piece through, and I'm proud of that. I understand the thought on the slight unease around the higher notes, and should I put forward future works of a similar calibre I'll look into that. Thanks.

Who knows, maybe one of these days I might cover this particular source again, although chances are it'll be a few years before I think of taking that cannon :wink:

That's a good remix from Rexy. Also, this song is my favourite of Sonic & Knuckles. The composers from this game are awesome. And this remix is pleasant too. The piano is quite amazing. The life of a piano on the melody will vary. That's an piano, really. And I love the production on this mix. It's pure fun.

Nice work! That's a Rexy-Remixy. =^ ^=

I like this, and as I said somewhere else, I don't even like solo piano songs (even though I'm a pianist).

Nice arrangement of Sky Sanctuary; gives a nod to the original ideas and says something new with the same music. It's what OCR is all about.

Well titled, too. Good job.

And I would like to hear what he could do if he took it in a different direction.

In the words of chthonic, I'm "totally a girl". :P

Mind, I'm surprised with the response granted all around it. I for one had a lot of fun playing the piece through, and I'm proud of that. I understand the thought on the slight unease around the higher notes, and should I put forward future works of a similar calibre I'll look into that. Thanks.

Who knows, maybe one of these days I might cover this particular source again, although chances are it'll be a few years before I think of taking that cannon :wink:

Luckily for me, "he" is the correct pronoun in English when gender is unknown. So I don't have to admit that I assumed you were male because you were remixing video game music. :P

I guess the main thing is that, while your remix was good, I still prefer the original. And this is mostly because there is no variation in the sound, what with it being done as a piano solo. Again, I'd love to hear what you could do if you gave yourself more of a range of sound to work with, but I don't expect that to happen.

I'll probably actually have to remix it myself to get something I like done with the song. Which sucks, 'cause I have no experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I could listen to this all night!!

Absolutely amazing.. You've gotta compose more from Sonic (My favourite Mega Drive/Genesis series of games). You take the music and bring it to a completely new perspective. This is my first review posted, and I couldn't be happier that it's for this brilliant tune!

I had completely forgotten about this track, and listening to this brought so many memories back. I was never a huge Sonic & Knuckles fan, either (more of a Sonic 2 guy), so back when I was just a kid, I only managed to get this far in the game a couple times. It's amazing what memories can come forth when you hear a piece of music like this. Very touching.

I really should go back and play Sonic & Knuckles again. ^_^

• 1 month later...

Sorry to drag this up again, but...

Am I the only one hearing David Bowie on this track? I swear the melody keeps hinting at "Life on Mars?"

It really comes through listening to Seu Jorge's cover of it, from the Life Aquatic soundtrack.

Sorry to drag this up again, but...

Am I the only one hearing David Bowie on this track? I swear the melody keeps hinting at "Life on Mars?"

It really comes through listening to Seu Jorge's cover of it, from the Life Aquatic soundtrack.

Well I personally haven't heard of the song up until now, but having been able to check it out a few minutes ago it does have a similar mood to it. Interesting analysis, mind. :nicework:

• 2 months later...
I had completely forgotten about this track, and listening to this brought so many memories back. I was never a huge Sonic & Knuckles fan, either (more of a Sonic 2 guy), so back when I was just a kid, I only managed to get this far in the game a couple times. It's amazing what memories can come forth when you hear a piece of music like this. Very touching.

instead of playing sonic & knuckles, you should play Sonic 3 & Knuckles

=P

anyway.. i love this song.. is there sheetmusic for it? i'd love to play it :P

instead of playing sonic & knuckles, you should play Sonic 3 & Knuckles

=P

anyway.. i love this song.. is there sheetmusic for it? i'd love to play it :P

Sheet music. Thanks for the compliment, and the reminder ^_^

Inbetween exams last may I spent a lot of time in the music labs doing a lot of music-related stuff. Part of it was a bold attempt on publishing sheet music for my piano adaptations. However only two of which ever got published, and luckily for us, Tomorrow's Wake was one of them.

It may be a bit rusty given that I haven't published sheet music outside college coursework before (and the sheet music's key has been brought up a semitone because of my own struggles with working in the key of B), but if you want to fiddle around and make your own version (mwahaha?), feel free to do so.

http://rexy.herograw.org/music/remixes/piano-sheetmusic/Sonic_and_Knuckles_Tomorrows_Wake_01.jpg

http://rexy.herograw.org/music/remixes/piano-sheetmusic/Sonic_and_Knuckles_Tomorrows_Wake_02.jpg

http://rexy.herograw.org/music/remixes/piano-sheetmusic/Sonic_and_Knuckles_Tomorrows_Wake_03.jpg

http://rexy.herograw.org/music/remixes/piano-sheetmusic/Sonic_and_Knuckles_Tomorrows_Wake_04.jpg

Now all that leaves is the wait for a long-overdue resub and a possible candidate for the site's first Dragon Warrior 2 remix :o

This is a really fantastically written/arranged piece - but I have a couple issues with some of the more powerfully-played notes, possibly due to my own personal tastes. Please take this as a compliment - I don't think I'd be nearly as jarred by it if not for the sublime near-perfection of the rest of the piece.

Given the above post, are you okay with me getting some piano-playing friends to cover this?

This is a really fantastically written/arranged piece - but I have a couple issues with some of the more powerfully-played notes, possibly due to my own personal tastes. Please take this as a compliment - I don't think I'd be nearly as jarred by it if not for the sublime near-perfection of the rest of the piece.

Given the above post, are you okay with me getting some piano-playing friends to cover this?

Well, Bladiator doesn't seem to mind when he shares his sheet music, so naturally I shouldn't mind either ;)

Well, Bladiator doesn't seem to mind when he shares his sheet music, so naturally I shouldn't mind either ;)

Glad to know that I'm a benchmark in remix sheet music. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01324 - Sonic & Knuckles "Tomorrow's Wake"