Mario Kart 64 - Frappe Snowland/Sherbert Land Theme "Everything is Ice"

MC Ardle

img.php?fid=1269

If that doesn't work, go here: http://snd.sc/mCeGTY

As far as I know, nobody has put lyrics to this yet. I came up with the first verse and bridge at a friend's house: we were playing a N64 on an old analogue TV, with the brightness turned up too high. I don't exactly know what "I swear on my Kart" means exactly, but it sounds important. You can probably tell that I don't like Bowser's tendency to throw his weight around (unless, of course, I'm playing as Bowser), and the CPU's habit of stealing the item that you were just about to get.

I sent this to the Judges, and they pointed out two problems:

• "The vocal recording is clipping really hard, adding some unwanted distortion to the track".
  • "The backing track is too static sounding as well, and needs more variation".

Could someone please tell me (or link me to someone that can tell me) how to fix these problems? Also, aside those two issues, what do you think?

And here's the source files:

Let's see if I can help you out, here.

Vocal clipping - To fix that, I'm afraid you'll need to re-record the vocals. The issue is that your input is too strong. Windows tends to set the input quite high as the default, since most people use it to speak to other people, not actually make music with. With Windows 7, you can right click the speaker on the bottom right corner and select 'Recording Devices'. Right click 'Microphone' and select 'Properties'. There should be a 'Levels' tab, and in there is a level called 'Microphone Boost'. Turn that down to '0'.

If there is still clipping you can move the mic so it's a medium distance from your mouth (not too far, or else the room tone will be too loud), and adjust the input volume in whatever program you're recording with. That should fix the clipping up perfectly.

Static Background - It's... basically what they said. Your background does the same thing for too long. The only thing that's changing are the harmonies - everything, from the instrument selection to the drums, do not change. I'd also argue that the sample quality is pretty poor in the track, so you might either want to get some better samples or collaborate with someone on the backing.

The track is actually kind of funny. It has a lot of personality. Have you considered submitting this version to OLR? They'd love it, since it's funny and has that clipping quality.

You had me at "penguins"!

Progression from 4:48 to 4:52 sounds very familiar. I've heard it somehwere (other than Mario Kart 64).

At 3:07, when the singer is talking, I can't tell what he's saying.

This song makes me feel like everything is ice.

Normally i hate autotune but it might work in this case trying see which sounds better. the lyrics themselves aren't bad its just the microphone is really crappy, maybe adding more reverb will help. also trying adding more emotion to the singing, really sing lol.

Only listened about a minute in, but I think the instrumentation could work all right if you process it right. Some reverb or delay on the e-piano for a little more room sound, give the tracks a more typical character with EQ and their own place in the frequency range. The arrangement, the first minute, is really just addition and subtraction of blocks. E-piano, fade out while fading in organ, add instrument 3, add instrument 4, add voice etc.. While that helps to keep the mix from getting too short, it's just not interesting enough to listen to. Either bring in the vocals earlier or write stuff more interesting.

And yes, sing, SING! Sounds like you're just mumbling the melody now. Articulate more clearly, and sing louder and with confidence (it both sounds better _and_ makes it easier to hit the notes). You don't have to follow the melody of the original entirely, if the song, the lyrics would work better with a different melody, meter, or rhythm. because you're still referencing the original in whatever alt melody you're using (and the backing), it's still a remix. ;)

Also, EE, reverb does not solve clipping, you just lose clarity that way. Vocals tend to need clarity (reverb with a little extra pre-delay, or a delay effect, works fine on non-clipping vocals tho).

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE! I put a bit more variation in the music, and re-sung the lyrics (I haven't gotten around to re-singing the harmony, though). Following a thing called "speech-level singing", I decided to sing the same way I speak, which is Australian, which is obvious when you listen to the song.

@Gario: By OLR, did you mean the Old Lady of the Rose? Are you sure they'd want to hear a secular video game song? Is this about what happened on the other forum? :P

@Cvramen: I think you might be thinking of "Walking on Sunshine". Many of my friends noticed this similarity too, so I decided to go with it. You'll notice a shout-out to it just before the "Everything is ice, Everything is ice!" part near the end.

@Rozovian: I kinda liked it that way, but I have altered it a bit. But why didn't you listen to the lyrics? You're missing the important message of the song. :D

This is brilliant. The lyrics really make it. Never considered a VG remix with vocals before. You couldn't be more right about the blue-shell either :evil:

I was going to say, that if you want a couple of tips on nice clear but loud vocals (with no clipping) just drop me a PM but the vocals are sounding top-notch on the updated version :D

@Gario: By OLR, did you mean the Old Lady of the Rose? Are you sure they'd want to hear a secular video game song? Is this about what happened on the other forum? :P

OverLooked ReMix

olrolrolrolrolrolrolrololr

definitely olr material.

I like this. I'm glad I speak fast so I could almost understand the little talking part with the snowman- and the blue shell part. haha!

You might want to adjust the volume on the lyrics, because when you sing the lower notes, your voice sort of fades away and I can't hear it.

Everything is ice Everything is ice

However! Again, the backing was too static. You need to add a little... creative flair to the background track(s) because they get boring after the umpteenth time you hear it.

Oh, dear...I just looked at overlooked remix, and...umm...no.

Gario, it was a good suggestion in theory, but I don't think I want to be affiliated with them. They look like a bunch of trolls. Now I may be wrong, but out of what I have seen on their website, it just doesn't look like a community I would want to be a part of.

Oh, dear...I just looked at overlooked remix, and...umm...no.

Gario, it was a good suggestion in theory, but I don't think I want to be affiliated with them. They look like a bunch of trolls. Now I may be wrong, but out of what I have seen on their website, it just doesn't look like a community I would want to be a part of.

9 out of 10 it's probably not...

I don't know what the fanbase of OLR is - for that you would have to ask Xenon Odyssey, but I am almost sure it's less than that of OCR.

And for that matter, if/when your song makes it, then there would be less people listening for it if it was on OLR than if the Judges pass it here.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay first off, i definitely recognised those drums :') You using Cubase or Halion? :D

I can see what you're going for here although at first i was like: 'these lyrics aren't the deepest ones i've ever heard', but it's actually very humorous.

I'm wondering if an electronic kit might work better for the drums? :S Just a thought...

I can't put my finger on it either... but, it does sound like there's a little work to do on the instruments in terms of how it comes through my headphones, it sounds stereo, i like my songs to be surround (That't the only way i can describe it with my limited aural knowledge) xD

Great track though :)

• 2 months later...
Okay, I think it's done. I don't exactly understand how to make the background music "not static".

Make it dynamic. It's static when the same thing loops over and over with the same instruments. Nothing changes, hence, "static." If something changed, like if you change the arrangement somewhat on the background part, or made instruments switch parts, then it would be dynamic.

I'm happy to see this remix come up again. I had thought you abandoned it earlier. I can't give a whole lot of advice as I'm not much of a remixer. One thing that I noticed, wearing my headphones, its that the bass is a lot louder and the voices can be hard to hear. I agree that you should make it dynamic as well though, it can get a little static at times.

• 3 weeks later...

Overlooked Remix DOES have some hidden gems.

Don't discredit it just because it looks like garbage from the immediate outside.

And to go with what they said.

From the beginning and the overall vocals, yeah I can see why OLR was a suggested place for this.

Its great, or... well, rather, it could be.

Here's my main issues.

(Objective)

*Buried Vocals drowning in the rest of the music (Yes still)

*As I said, the vocals are drowning, but its not the levels of the vocals alone. Its everything else being really muddy. This should be a lot cleaner.

(Subjective)

*Repetitive and rather uninspiring lyrics, and I was having a total Chocolate Rain Flashback after I heard "Everything Is Ice" for the 10th time or so in a row.

*Up until the first, I guess you could call it, the first "Chorus" or Bridge or whatever you want to name it (honestly I am unsure) the song feels rather... lackluster to me.

This COULD be a fantastic song, but I suggest working on it a smidge. Pay a lot of attention to the levels of each instrument cause its hella cluttered in there.