OCR01325 - Kingdom Hearts "New Beginnings"

djpretzel

Glad to see this make it! Definitely a huge improvement over your first WIP of this so long ago. Beautiful stuff. My favorite bit has got to be the soaring section at around 3:13 or so. That's POWERFUL there. Good job.

Only crit, listening to it now, is that the sustained flute notes at the beginning seem to cut off a little choppy to me. Later on, with more wind instruments, the "chop" is masked very well, but at the beginning, no so good. Could have prolonged the note right into the next phrase, I think.

It's a minor concern. I'm definitely enjoying the quite a bit.

Wow, now this is definitely an improved effort over the VGMix version. :) I for one thought the sounds are shown to be much sharper than previously encountered, and the extended intro - not to mention the further polish granted on the closure - also managed to surprise me as such. I also loved the extention of the drum patterns in this one - somehow they have managed to provide a fuller sound when it came to the overall provision, something which I thought seemed to lack upon the original unveiling. Awesome cameo granted by Kairi's theme tune at 3:18 too.

Course, much of the repetition can be shown to be there in terms of melodic structure, although I still stand by my original thought of this structure sounding pretty similar to Daniel Baranowsky's "Agony of Obscuration", so you practically can't go wrong.

Of course, Kingdom Hearts can do with some further love in terms of coverage, and not only have you done that but also provided something that I thought wouldn't have deemed possible until a bit later down the line - taking a world theme and emphasizing on its atmosphere. Good stuff.

Now all that's missing is a cameo for Tarzan... :P

This is strange, I posted yesterday on this and it's not here today...

Oh well. Basically I said excellent job. You were able to take a piece I didn't like and make me enjoy it on the very first listen. I don't think I had any suggestions, I really enjoyed it. Next time I play Kingdom Hearts, I'll turn off the sound in the jungle and turn on your tunes instead.

Zipp

I'm so thrilled to see another great Kingdom Hearts remix come out of OC!

I can't find any technical errors in the piece (I wouldn't know, I haven't tried to remix anything), and I absolutely adore your takes on both 'Deep Jungle' and 'Kairi' (excellent choice, throwing that in). I look forward to more. There'll be more.. right? :]

• 3 months later...

All I can say is: whoa. This is an amazing piece. The guitar is a nice touch. The whole remix is a nice, slow pace, but still mysterious, making it sound like it would fit perfectly with a flashback or a major turning point. The Kiari Theme you stuck in there blends in perfectly with the theme of the song. To restate what I just said: Awesome job. Sounds good. Any chance we might get some more of this caliber?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is so well remixed that I can hardly recognize the melody. Nice guitar, some small drums beating and some real good flute together with Kairi´s melody. Then there were some piano and trombones(I think), really none too shabby there either. Thanks for a tremendous KH-remix BL. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Completely fantastic soundscape at the beginning; I love the guitar/dulcimer along with the drums. The flute samples were a little weaker overall, but nothing too offensive to ruin anything. Even the jungle effects were cool, and the percussion, though at times mechanical (the rim hits in the double time section specifically), is well layered and interesting.

The brass punctuation and a lot of the syncopated hits were well used, and added some nice contrast and power.

I always thought most of the Kingdom Hearts music was well executed but overly vanilla, so something like this that throws on some chocolate sauce and whipped cream is definitely welcome. :-)

Nice work Blue Magic. :-)

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I never liked the original source, or the area in the game, but this mix gives the song an entirely new flavor that I can appreciate, even if I’m not overly crazy about it. A nice, breathy, flute takes the melody, and the guitar work in the background is a great fit. Brass/orchestral hits sound a little fake, but they are passable. Drum work is mostly background, but in a good way, nicely done on those.

The slower tempo makes for a more contemplative feeling which I like. I would have liked more dynamic variation overall; there wasn’t much change going on. Especially around 3:15 or so when the flute goes into the second part of the source. A crescendo into that would have been nice.

Good work, not my favorite source, but still an enjoyable listen, and a good change from the original.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01325 - Kingdom Hearts "New Beginnings"
  • 5 years later...

Very panpipey and flutey, laid-back introspective take of the original, before guitar really kicks in. Reminds me of the night time portions of the jungle level. Brass section is a little strong in its flourishes but gives that climactic oomph that the piece requires. Chill out with this one in your treehouse overlooking the waterfall sometime.