The 7 facets to videogame music

-snip-

"Wow, this is an amazing remix. The sound design is flawless, and the production values exceed professional levels. The source is handled beautifully and interpretively and this is an emotional ride that never stops to move you on a spiritual level. But there's no koto. NO."

FLStudio ~ 1997

Music ~ Thousands of years before hand

I didn't forget, it does not belong. :)

Ummmmm, helloooo: every piece of music written before the release of FL studio was just using inferior methods like sheet music and 8-track recorders as an FL Studio surrogate because the world wasn't ready for FL Studio proper yet.

Classical music contains all of those things.

yes a lot does, but some does not, especially the "older" classical music that came around before the famous people, that noone listens to.

also, when I say japanese dissonance, i don't mean "traditional" japanese instruments. Here's what im talking about:

img.php?fid=1247

This is the single most arbitrary and descriptively defunct nothingness dressed up as a definitive checklist. The 7 facets - The great video games music manifesto!

I am lost for words.

I forgot to mention, on the ratometer (value range 0-10) a song must have an average of at least 5 in facet quantity or else technically it does not qualify as facet containing.

I forgot to mention, on the ratometer (value range 0-10) a song must have an average of at least 5 in facet quantity or else technically it does not qualify as facet containing.

...and the award for the most arbitrary rating system goes to!

That just sounds like me when I was 10. It's horribly dissonant, you're right, but I don't seem to understand the difference between playing random notes on the keys and your "Japanese dissonance".

Yes, admittedly, it does sound terrible and I didn't really know what I was doing, but it was supposed to sound like those japanese futuristic mech games that overuse orchestra hits, or stuff that you would hear in an anime.

Yes, admittedly, it does sound terrible and I didn't really know what I was doing, but it was supposed to sound like those japanese futuristic mech games that overuse orchestra hits, or stuff that you would hear in an anime.

Bro, I WATCH anime. It sounds nothing like that.

Bro, I WATCH anime. It sounds nothing like that.

well not my song, it was supposed to sound like a futuristic mech game. admittedly it does sound like crap...by anime do you mean more of an emotional type of music? that's not really western either, but it's not exactly dissonant. i wish I could show you a better example of japanese dissonance so you could know what im talking about, but i forgot the name of the game.

by anime do you mean more of an emotional type of music?

I am highly confused by this. Earlier, you said that it was supposed to sound like your mech game or anime. My comment was that I've heard many anime soundtracks and rarely ever does it sound like that.

I am highly confused by this. Earlier, you said that it was supposed to sound like your mech game or anime. My comment was that I've heard many anime soundtracks and rarely ever does it sound like that.

well yeah, i was taking a shot in the dark, i couldn't remember if i heard it from an anime or not, lol.