Request for the Ice sound from Metroid

Well thanks for the references, but I was thinking more approach to synthesizing the sound:

So far, I have gotten a similar sound using a high sine:noise (like 95%sine) ratio b/w two oscillators and have on the envelope no attack, high decay, with about half the sustain. On a LP filter envelope I have no attack, and about mid sus/decay with a little resonance. Add a light flanger and tons of reverb with a long decay time and that's basically what I have.

High notes give a sort of icy cold feel but it's not quite the same sound I'm trying to get.

HP filter would probably be better, so you keep the icy highs and get rid of the warm low-mids. Can't say what the best waveform to use is but I would recommend something with more harmonics than sine. Part of it's distinctive sound comes from the tuning of the filter and the high resonance. Try the fourth or fifth harmonic with the resonance turned to max (and use a spectrum analyser or tuner if you don't wanna rely on just your ears). Another option is to use sines and a lot of EQd reverb to get rid of all the lows and some mids, but it won't be as flexible as something that's straight out of a synth.

Might work better with an fm synth, as it might help creating the right overtones, but I'm not sure you actually need fm synthesis for this sound.

edit: sine/noise. oh. Never mind my waveform mention then. :)