Commercials and the Loudness War

That's one of the reasons I don't watch TV much anymore. As soon as the commercial break starts, the TV gets about twice as loud as whatever dramatic or interesting show I was watching. And everything has to be so loud to compete, so nobody cares to change it. The worst thing is that even commercials for pain pills get painfully loud this way. And it's not just a loss of dynamics, but there's noticeable compression in any voiceovers or extra loud sound effects that have to break through whatever loud music they've chosen for the ad. The same thing happens during some documentaries, where the voice isn't side-chained right so we just get an ugly compressor sound instead.

I remember watching LOST back when, and at the start of every commercial came sponsor messages from either of two competing telecom services. Either a calm voice saying the service number and a tie-in line to the show's title "so Finns wouldn't be lost", or a loud annoying jingle singing their service number. Not only a moodbreaker, but annoyingly loud too.

Some other guy noticed the loudness problem in commercials too.

Anybody else bothered by this? Anybody else have a TV?

That's one of the reasons I don't watch TV much anymore. As soon as the commercial break starts, the TV gets about twice as loud as whatever dramatic or interesting show I was watching. And everything has to be so loud to compete, so nobody cares to change it. The worst thing is that even commercials for pain pills get painfully loud this way. And it's not just a loss of dynamics, but there's noticeable compression in any voiceovers or extra loud sound effects that have to break through whatever loud music they've chosen for the ad. The same thing happens during some documentaries, where the voice isn't side-chained right so we just get an ugly compressor sound instead.

I remember watching LOST back when, and at the start of every commercial came sponsor messages from either of two competing telecom services. Either a calm voice saying the service number and a tie-in line to the show's title "so Finns wouldn't be lost", or a loud annoying jingle singing their service number. Not only a moodbreaker, but annoyingly loud too.

Some other guy noticed the loudness problem in commercials too.

Anybody else bothered by this? Anybody else have a TV?

Interesting, a lot of the hyper commercials are pretty loud, although I haven't seen them very recently. Although, I have to say the commercials I hate the most are the irritatingly "serene" ones where they play the same piano keys in the background, possibly with a light guitar, with some guy talking about a car that noone cares about, insurance, medication, or vacation, or something like that, with really boring "sleek and modern" architecture. Really boring, feels like being trapped inside of a hospital.