Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Project Chaos - History

k u n g f u c h i c k e n

Kanji, disregaurd Terial, the song is cool to me ;)

>< im sorry, but i just plain love the credits. Kanji, dont let me bother you, i just havent heard anything so far that does the song justice IMHO, I just want the song to be perfect for the project. but really, everyone else likes it, so just feel free to ignore me ^^;.

I've been working, so here it is... :D

Aquatic Pressure (http://www.vgmix.com/song_manage.php?song_id=3802): Some more EQing work, and diferent synth playing in the end. Enjoy. :)

Sonik Bakley and the Jazz Hedgehogs (http://www.vgmix.com/song_view.php?song_id=3867): Ok, im sorry. It’s not my fault, I had NOTHING to do over these last days (too sick to go to school). So, I decided to try and mess around with Reason, to see what could come around. In the end I came up with another WIP for the Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remix Project. Boss Theme Act 2.

It’s still VERY primitive, just a 3 minutes : some seconds jam.

In fact, Aquatic Pressure is by far my main contribution for the project, and I still need feedback on that one (ANY feedback is welcome)… Im not substituting it, just adding this one to see what people think of it (and also, to provide a relaxing tune for everybody who is working hard here to relax and laugh a little bit )

I find this one quite interesting, it is an arrangement for a jazz trio (turning into a quartet later), playing the theme in a blues/piano jazz way, which may seem strange due to the choice of source material, but in the end, it fitted…

PS.: The melody only comes in after the one minute mark, so don’t get scared, it’s NOT an original.

PS.: Yeah, there’s a lot of soloing going on…

PS.: I know the piano is quite mechanic in the main melody, but im working on that. Sax is under work as well.

PS.: It will be longer. It's also my first tradional jazz work, so go easy on me! :)

Super PS.: If anyone here who works with Reason wants to collab on this one, please let me know, it would be great. :D

Any feedback is very welcome, in any one of the two songs…

Thanks in advance!

antipode - Menu Molity

Hm... The composition is okay, but I don't like most of the samples/instruments used. Especially the one starting at 0:32, it really has to go. And the main instrument (Marimba? Xylophone?) sounds a bit weak. You should power it up a bit, maybe use a piano instead.

Thanks. Several of these samples I got from the links in the section here at OCR, but none have been extremely helpful. In a few more days I might have a new edit of the song with the beginning noise altered a bit, the bassline instrument fixed, and the main levels fixed. Plus with a little more added on, probably. Oh and just a random note, it's actually "Motility", but I figure that doesn't matter much because probably not too many people know what that means anyway. :wink: I'm looking forward to hearing the next versions of everyone's work, and by the way Lint, thanks for the comments.

Deadline is today, so the voting should be starting soon right?

Deadline is actually tommorow, and from what I take it, KFC is going to give us much time to work on our WIP's before weeding them out. Kind of pointless to vote anyways right now. There is only a few entries that have two or more people working on the same song. Besides, I need a chance to get rid of my crappy violins and replace them with either a real violin track or better samples.

Just in time for the deadline, I've managed to finish off the composition for my own contribution -

OMG PLZ RIGHT CLICK AND SELECT "SAVE TARGET AS" FO SHIZZLE

Quickly mentioning what I intended again - the first half reflects upon the scenery of the first act, as peaceful as ever and with blue skies flapping around it. This half then ended with a climatic proportion as signalled by the zone's mid boss - you know, that machine that ends up putting the whole island in flames.

The second half then shows a good amount of grief over the island's fate. No longer is it full of peace - it will take a long time just to recover from its own tormented state. Angrily, the player (controlling Sonic, Tails or Knuckles) makes their dash through the second act, gradually regaining their feelings while going around the many pitfalls that eventually lead to the zone boss as well as the Hydrocity Zone upon kicking the crap outta Eggman.

I managed to take in the account of lowering the drum volume ever so slightly and adding some reverb onto the muted trumpet. And I also thought carefully about how to reflect on anger at the end of the first half and the return of the core instrumentation within the second half; things that came to mind here were angry distortion (which have been applied upon some synth VSTs floating around the college campus), a steadier drum beat and a lot of timpani action.

Well, that's about it from me (for now); hope this is an improvement over the previous version :P

Sonik Bakley and the Jazz Hedgehogs (http://www.vgmix.com/song_view.php?song_id=3867): Ok, im sorry. It’s not my fault, I had NOTHING to do over these last days (too sick to go to school). So, I decided to try and mess around with Reason, to see what could come around. In the end I came up with another WIP for the Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remix Project. Boss Theme Act 2.

It’s still VERY primitive, just a 3 minutes : some seconds jam.

In fact, Aquatic Pressure is by far my main contribution for the project, and I still need feedback on that one (ANY feedback is welcome)… Im not substituting it, just adding this one to see what people think of it (and also, to provide a relaxing tune for everybody who is working hard here to relax and laugh a little bit )

I find this one quite interesting, it is an arrangement for a jazz trio (turning into a quartet later), playing the theme in a blues/piano jazz way, which may seem strange due to the choice of source material, but in the end, it fitted…

PS.: The melody only comes in after the one minute mark, so don’t get scared, it’s NOT an original.

PS.: Yeah, there’s a lot of soloing going on…

PS.: I know the piano is quite mechanic in the main melody, but im working on that. Sax is under work as well.

PS.: It will be longer. It's also my first tradional jazz work, so go easy on me! :)

Super PS.: If anyone here who works with Reason wants to collab on this one, please let me know, it would be great. :D

Any feedback is very welcome, in any one of the two songs…

Thanks in advance!

First off, you’re doin’ jazz so you really need some style here. Not meaning to sound harsh, but if you got no style (not you personally) you don’t have much. Jazz is something you gotta feel (and KungFuChicken!, for one, said he wasn’t feeling this track). Here are some tips for giving your song some style.

- For groupings of eighth notes, accent notes on the upbeat. Meaning notes on the upbeat have a higher velocity than notes on the downbeat. Therefore, “ghost” the notes on the downbeat. “Ghost” means to play really soft, but with the same intensity.

- A lot of jazz has pairs of eighth notes being played as a quarter + eighth triplet. If you’re kinda lost on that, the quarter + eighth triplet adds up to one beat and the eighth note is accented. Most likely (if not always) the eighth note is played short and tight, like a bite.

- The bass usually changes notes every quarter note for movement of the song.

- Possibly some small tom fills before the end of a section/phrase will add interest. I notice some, but they are so slight. I’m not saying have the drums shine (since this is just a smooth improv-ishy setting), but just let them have a little more fun.

I hope these tips will help you out on improving this piece. It has a lot of potential and it’s mostly just style-challenged. On a side note, though, some people have a harder time with style than reading the actual music so I’m sorry if I made improving the style sound easy as it may not be for you. Oh, I can e-mail you a page of alto sax sheet music for learning purposes if you’d like. I’d like to collab with you on this, but I’m so busy with college, work and remixing Hydrocity. However, since you said you said you aren’t submitting this for the project, I can probably help you out if you want to work on it in the summer. Good luck! :D

By the way, I’m somewhat worried how our version of Hydrocity will go so can you tell me when the next deadline is going to be, KungFuChicken!? Sorry for being impatient.

First off, you’re doin’ jazz so you really need some style here. Not meaning to sound harsh, but if you got no style (not you personally) you don’t have much. Jazz is something you gotta feel (and KungFuChicken!, for one, said he wasn’t feeling this track). Here are some tips for giving your song some style.

- For groupings of eighth notes, accent notes on the upbeat. Meaning notes on the upbeat have a higher velocity than notes on the downbeat. Therefore, “ghost” the notes on the downbeat. “Ghost” means to play really soft, but with the same intensity.

- A lot of jazz has pairs of eighth notes being played as a quarter + eighth triplet. If you’re kinda lost on that, the quarter + eighth triplet adds up to one beat and the eighth note is accented. Most likely (if not always) the eighth note is played short and tight, like a bite.

- The bass usually changes notes every quarter note for movement of the song.

- Possibly some small tom fills before the end of a section/phrase will add interest. I notice some, but they are so slight. I’m not saying have the drums shine (since this is just a smooth improv-ishy setting), but just let them have a little more fun.

I hope these tips will help you out on improving this piece. It has a lot of potential and it’s mostly just style-challenged. On a side note, though, some people have a harder time with style than reading the actual music so I’m sorry if I made improving the style sound easy as it may not be for you. Oh, I can e-mail you a page of alto sax sheet music for learning purposes if you’d like. I’d like to collab with you on this, but I’m so busy with college, work and remixing Hydrocity. However, since you said you said you aren’t submitting this for the project, I can probably help you out if you want to work on it in the summer. Good luck! :D

By the way, I’m somewhat worried how our version of Hydrocity will go so can you tell me when the next deadline is going to be, KungFuChicken!? Sorry for being impatient.

Thanks for the huge feedback! :D

I don't know if I will do all these things you mentioned, I quite like the feel of it, sounds a bit like a jam, but im going to try.

Things that surely will be on the next version:

1 - re-interpreted main melody, it was very mechanic and wrote it again in a jazzier way.

2 - different drums

3 - wrote some more parts (a bit Yellowjackets like)...

Man, I think I expressed myself wrongly back there. This is a WIP for the project... Unless I can not have two, which doesn't seem to be the case, so yeah, this is a WIP for the project as well as my Hydrocity... Sorry if I said it wrong! :oops:

Thanks yoshi!!! I will work on it!

Man, I think I expressed myself wrongly back there. This is a WIP for the project... Unless I can not have two, which doesn't seem to be the case, so yeah, this is a WIP for the project as well as my Hydrocity... Sorry if I said it wrong! :oops:

That's okay about what you said. :) It's awesome you're trying another song for the project!

By the way, awesome remix, Rexy! It's cool to know there is another female remixer involved with this project. :)

IvoryGadget:Huum... I think emotionally you found your way pretty nicely, but I have a few complaints. First of all, you are right, the recording is really bad, also I think your playing is a little bit static on the beguining (im no pianist, so I can't say for sure, im just telling how I feel :wink: ), the arregement pleases me a lot, but there's repetition in the middle... Nice WIP so far, but there are things to be fixed, I think.

Thank you for the comments. Actually, I tried to sound a little melancholic at the beginning. But the repetition in the middle is just that lack of creativity a talked about and on which I'm working now. But I thought, what's the problem? It's just a WIP it's not the final song. And I had to meet the deadline.