Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Project Chaos - History

k u n g f u c h i c k e n

I still think Snapple has a light point about the amount of quality here. :? Then again, most of the mixes here are involved in fighting over one song (Hydrocity, Sky Sanctuary) so that shouldn't be taken a bit too personally.

What I was hoping for him to do was to provide some constructive criticism for what we as remixers *should* be doing to our works. That way we can learn from our experience and be sure to develop our own works securely.

Putting it this way I think the turnout is much more professional than the Sonic 2 project. Back then the only pro-artists that managed to show themselves were analoq, FFMusicDj and Sir Nuts. Now in this project we've got further assistance from Beatdrop, DarkeSword, AkumajoBelmont, Rayza, Gecko Yamori, etc. That could have easily helped increase the general quality factor here.

But if we're going to have to keep going, we'll need to show as much criticism as we can; even upon much of the stellar works already contributed.

(And for the record, I don't do techno because I suck at it :P)

Equinox, please don't taunt the remixers. While you may be getting a few laughs, you'll end up creating a mess on the forums that the moderators have to clean up. The moderators had to do this when Eccles went on his little tirade in the WIP forums a year ago.

Wow... just wow. I can't believe how far this whole thread degraded. And all due to a few guys thinking that negative reinforcement is actually productive. If you don't like a song(s), then quit whining & offer some advice on how to fix it. Not this totally Elite sounding jibberish,i.e, "I think you smell bad & you mix does too, like a big pile of...." You know what I'm saying.

I remember the Doom project fell through after the guy in charge of it dropped out. Myth took over & heck, it's become something that will rival, if not surpass KiC. So, get off your hi horses, & too the people invloved in actually mixing the project, take whats good in the negative posts, move on, & stop giving oxygen to the fires. The End.

Wow... just wow. I can't believe how far this whole thread degraded. And all due to a few guys thinking that negative reinforcement is actually productive. If you don't like a song(s), then quit whining & offer some advice on how to fix it. Not this totally Elite sounding jibberish,i.e, "I think you smell bad & you mix does too, like a big pile of...." You know what I'm saying.

I remember the Doom project fell through after the guy in charge of it dropped out. Myth took over & heck, it's become something that will rival, if not surpass KiC. So, get off your hi horses, & too the people invloved in actually mixing the project, take whats good in the negative posts, move on, & stop giving oxygen to the fires. The End.

That's exactly what we're gesturing at - looking at ways to improve our own works. :)

Although, it can be a bit difficult to me because I didn't receive much criticism on my latest revision...

Sure, but remember to right-click and "save target as" :P

Quickly mentioning what I intended again - the first half reflects upon the scenery of the first act, as peaceful as ever and with blue skies flapping around it. This half then ended with a climatic proportion as signalled by the zone's mid boss - you know, that machine that ends up putting the whole island in flames.

The second half then shows a good amount of grief over the island's fate. No longer is it full of peace - it will take a long time just to recover from its own tormented state. Angrily, the player (controlling Sonic, Tails or Knuckles) makes their dash through the second act, gradually regaining their feelings while going around the many pitfalls that eventually lead to the zone boss as well as the Hydrocity Zone upon kicking the crap outta Eggman.

I managed to take in the account of lowering the drum volume ever so slightly and adding some reverb onto the muted trumpet. And I also thought carefully about how to reflect on anger at the end of the first half and the return of the core instrumentation within the second half; things that came to mind here were angry distortion (which have been applied upon some synth VSTs floating around the college campus), a steadier drum beat and a lot of timpani action.

Mind, time is getting rather short at my end, and with exams coming I may even struggle to mix these days. :( But heck, be sure to drop a line or two.

Well, I love it :D

Though it's quite quiet - I think you need to up the volume a bit, and work on bringing out some more of the high frequencies - particularly on the hats, and maybe some more mid on the snares.

But yeah, you have some really nice sounding stuff going on... I absolutely love the whole first half... It gets a little too crazy for my liking at 2:17, but after that short section, everything's great :)

As for the section at 2:17...

Personally, I think you need to completely rewrite what you've got there. The vibe I got from that part of the stage was like a feeling of despair and helplessness as you can't stop the impending doom - a rain of fire.

Make it sound thrilling and suspenseful... Maybe drop the drums, or bring in something bigger - timpanis and an orchestral kit, perhaps... though i'm not sure how it'd fit with the rest...

Another option is to just get rid of that sectin alltogether, and have it go straight to the section at 2:30. I think that'd work well too :)

Either way, you've got some great sounding stuff here, looking forward to seeing the next update for sure :D

That's exactly what we're gesturing at - looking at ways to improve our own works. :)

Although, it can be a bit difficult to me because I didn't receive much criticism on my latest revision...

I kept meaning to.

What I said the first time, about the middle transition (2:13) sounding like a cartoon chase montage still holds true.

I'd recommend changing the instrument on the pattern with the has double stabs, and chase-type melody.

Let me know if you can't tell what I'm talking about, from my description.

Apart from that, the bit at the end where it speeds back up is a bit sudden, and that portion (3:36-4:32) lasts too long. I'd suggest basically going straight from 3:44 to 4:11. I want to use the verb "splice" to describe what I'd like to hear happen.

Once again, I apologize if I'm sounding overly bossy: to me, "constructive criticism" means having a solution in mind.

Well Rexy, it's sounding better, & I like the structure alot in the revision. It's a shame to hear you'll have less time to tweak this mix, at least until summer that is. But the things in my opinion that need to be strengthened are the latter parts of the song. The darker tone needs to be a little more... moody & somber.

Side b of your mix, 3:36 or so, needs more... ominous flava. Maybe get rid of the backing notes, the rapid fire melody that accompanies the lead. Maybe slow down that part, just that part while leaving the overall tempo of the song intact, & maybe even switching thsat instrument with a delayed dark piano would do the trick. Changing the happy sounding drum beat would also help this sections intended mood. I guess what I'm trying to say, is if your gonna make the last section sad & moody, take it hardcore sad & moody. Oh, & I completely agree with haydn about 2:11-2:27-ish. It messes with the flow.

And, while I'm at it, how do you guys (& gals)like the newer direction I'm taking Hidden Palace?

I can't believe you used that example as SUPPORT for this project - that bit of information is MUCH more relevant than you think.

Not once have I shown concern with the quality of the mixers. I've heard a few wips, but that's only somewhat indicitave of what the final product. I can't pass judgement on something I don't know enough about. Sithlord's crappy attitude (which I've seen plenty of), however, does nothing but hinder this project.

I'm glad you caught that little thing I mentioned. I actually meant it that way. If this project starts to fall apart & Sith can't handle it, I'll be one of the first people trying to keep it alive. I'm sure a whole butt load will as well. But for the time being, Sith is the director, & until otherwise, we just have to bare with him. It's a big load to lead a project.

Wow. Such hatred and disgust. You know, may be if we actually posted either WIPs, some feedback to the songs, or something to progress/improve the projet that isn't negative, the thread won't be locked for flaming and insults.

With that said, progress on my WIP is slowly but surely.

...you know what, I doubt anybody is going to read this, or even bother taking the advice. Post Count +1.

"Why Can't We Be Friends? Why Can't We Be Friends..."

Big Load? You have no idea. And I think that Eon doesn't really get that/

I fail to see where you could know anything about 'leading' a project.

Well it IS 60+ pages in, and everybody has gotten started, and there are multiple people on each track, and some pretty frequent remixers are showing lots of interest. That's not good leadership?

Big Load? You have no idea. And I think that Eon doesn't really get that/

I fail to see where you could know anything about 'leading' a project.

Well it IS 60+ pages in, and everybody has gotten started, and there are multiple people on each track, and some pretty frequent remixers are showing lots of interest. That's not good leadership?

80% of the posts are entirely irrelevant to the album, this one included.

People have started because of their own interest - sithlord had nothing to do with that. Essentially, the only right thing Sithlord HAS done is gather attention to the project. It's the wrong kind of attention.

His reactions to anyone who doubts the success of this project are laughable. Fortunately for him, much of his comments - including the ones made directly to me - have been erased.

Yeah, he apologized, said he was out of line, etc, then tried to make things right (I ended up sigging it, it was too much comedy gold to let go), but I had decided then that should this project end up finished, it'll be an absolute stroke of luck (or not, we'll have to hear the remixes to determine that) that it did.

That's enough bashing him for me though, I'll just let this all go, and we can see where it ends up. Good luck, all.