Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Project Chaos - History

k u n g f u c h i c k e n

I suggest to sort the tracks randomly.
Really? i like the way the are now, that way there in the order that they pop up in the game. just my opnion.

Also, on the issue of bandwidth... I seem to recall hedgehog haven taking somthing in the line of tens of gigabytes in 48 hours... thats somthing along the lines off 208 MB an hour... and seeing as this one isnt going to suck, i can assume we will need much more then that.

perhaps making the songs 128kbs to encourage people to download the higher quality bit torrent? the only problem i see with that is that people are impatient and download both, making the bandwidth problem worse. Hm.

Anyways, thats my two cents... *goes back to silent lurking*

I don't know about the 128kb MP3s. There's bound to be some people who just can't use the torrents whatsoever, possibly due to firewall situations and whatnot.
ah, right.. good point. anyone ask Djprez if he'll donate the bandwidth? would he do somthing like that?

The songs are being encoded on max quality variable bitrate. This results in the songs being twice the size they would be using 128kbps.

I will not use 128kbps because it sounds like a giraffe ejaculating in my ear. If I find someone encoding the songs from the project in 128kbps and distributing them, I will track them down and fuck their dog.

I will not use 128kbps because it sounds like a giraffe ejaculating in my ear.

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

I'm glad you've made that decision. Anyone who uses 128 kbps (for anything other than streaming) should be dragged out into the street and shot.

I'm glad you've made that decision. Anyone who uses 128 kbps (for anything other than streaming) should be dragged out into the street and shot.

Or having their dog vialated by a human version of a tasty cold beverage.

The songs are being encoded on max quality variable bitrate. This results in the songs being twice the size they would be using 128kbps.

I will not use 128kbps because it sounds like a giraffe ejaculating in my ear. If I find someone encoding the songs from the project in 128kbps and distributing them, I will track them down and fuck their dog.

i understand the reasoning behind not wanting to use 128kbps. however, if you're going to be using max quality vbr (320kbps) what's the point of even having mp3s? that literally isn't compression...hence my reasoning.

In case you're concerned about bandwidth:

- I will set up 3 mirrors for the album files only. Each one has tons of free Gigabytes and unlimited bandwidth (there should be 7 mirrors).

- I will set up a 100 mbits bittorrent seed if I'm provided with a .torrent

- I can host multiple encodings of the files if there's need to, this has yet to be decided.

Also, for websites hosting, I've just set up 2 mirrors, besides main hosting, and if bandwidth becomes a really big issue, I will turn them on (transparent & random redirection).

You can actually test and stress one of the mirrors right here, this way I'll see if it actually sense some sort of tickles (Don't even bother hacking, there's nothing yet).

Feedback about the mirror appreciated.

however, if you're going to be using max quality vbr (320kbps) what's the point of even having mp3s?
max quality VBR isn't 320kbps fyi...

EACH frame in a VBR file can vary from 32kbps to 320kbps, according to the complexity of that particular frame (silences are encoded by 32kbps frames, for example). the resulting bitrate is some value in the middle; the higher you set the quality, the higher will be the final bitrate. but it's almost impossible that ALL the frames will be 320kbps each.

when I encode VBR mp3s using the highest quality they usually end out to be somewhere in the 170-200 kbps range.

some good encoders give you also another option, called ABR. that is in fact VBR, but you set a "goal bitrate" instead of a quality, so the encoder will try to get the final bitrate to be *near* the wished one, but still in an average way.

Neither you nor snappleman like chiptunes, do you. :[

Anyone who uses 128 kbps (for anything other than streaming) should be dragged out into the street and shot.

Neither you nor snappleman like chiptunes, do you. :[

I should have said:

Anyone who uses 128 kbps MP3 encoding (for anything other than streaming) should be dragged out into the street and shot.