Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Project Chaos - History

k u n g f u c h i c k e n

Just a little something that went unnoticed: on the back cover, the text "Project Chaos: ..." from the left, light side, must be rotated 180 degrees, or it will show up upside-down after the cover is mounted...

Also, considering where the emerald is in this cover, maybe it should also be rotated, let's say, 45 clockwise... then it would be kind of parallel to the lines below it on the sphere...

And about this font thing, I think maybe you should try using a smaller, but thicker font, with that thin outline...

I'm not a graphic designer or anything near that, so feel free to disconsider whatever you want on what I said...

Just a little something that went unnoticed: on the back cover, the text "Project Chaos: ..." from the left, light side, must be rotated 180 degrees, or it will show up upside-down after the cover is mounted...

Actually, thats the way it looks on all the jewel cases I've ever seen. On the hinge-side it should be right-side up, but on the other side it's always up-side-down.

READ CAREFULLY EVERYONE

This will be a 3 (THREE) disc album. Since I do want to have a CD version, the only way to really make it work would be to split it into 3 discs. And the best way to get THAT done, is to create a second album.

So yes, there will be the primary Project Chaos album, and the secondary Project Chaos Special album. I think the competition themes and the most notable of the WIPs should be included and showcased, not tacked on to the end of the album.

The primary album will be 2 CDs, 10 to 11 tracks each. It will be broken up by Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles.

I've really been driving myself nuts trying to figure out how to make a CD release out of this, and this is really the only way.

We'll need to make TWO album covers, tracklists should be EMPTY till I sort out what track will go into what album. I am going with Spire's designs, so all your suggestions should go to him. Third disc should be gold. Everything else is up to everyone who's interested in the art.

Actually, thats the way it looks on all the jewel cases I've ever seen. On the hinge-side it should be right-side up, but on the other side it's always up-side-down.

So probably the Brazilian standard is different...

Spire: Looks like I must've been having a cache issue or something this morning; the same links now lead to the non-gray-lighted versions. Sorry about that. I can still see a few gray pixels where there's a change in color though. It's not much, and probably won't even be noticeable when printed at the right size, but I'm a details sort of guy.

Also, shame the Star Sphere won't be used for Disk 3. I thought that was pretty cool too.

Too late! 8O Heh, actually, I think the gold disk might work out just fine if used along with my idea for the 2nd set of album art. Why choose which one of the spheres to use when I could just put one on the cover, and the other on the disk?:

projectchaosspecialfront2fy7.th.jpg

projectchaosspecialback2ny8.th.jpg

projectchaoscdsnewoz7.th.jpg

What do you think?

I suppose I could put the star sphere on the CD too, but I think this is probably the best way to go so long as I'm already putting it on the cover. Of course, if you don't like the new cover, then I can always put the star sphere back on the disc itself and I'd just have to come up with something else.

Also, do I need to label the fronts with 'main track' and 'bonus track', or will the track lists on the backs suffice?

Seeing as how Spire came out of hiding with some great covers, I felt maybe I should do the same.

Sometime around when the project was still in the old thread, I started working on a SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) version of the Sonic and Knuckles logo in Inkscape. I was just bored I guess... but seeing as how I think it looks better then the version that Spire is using, I thought I'd see if it would be of any use to anyone who wishes to use it.

I have three version, all exported to large PNGs.

One with a black background.

SnKBGt.png

One with just the halo.

SnKHalot.png

And no halo!

SnKt.png

yay! I'm a contributor!

You did an awesome job on that emblem Protocol, its spot-on to the original and definatly better than the one I was using! Thanks a lot for the offer, but unfortunatly, I already re-did the whole thing because SnappleMan had asked me (via PM) to make it more accurate. :? I started working on it just after I posted that 2nd cover, and finished it up Saturday morning. Had you posted sooner I probably would have just used yours.

It's REALLY too bad, too.. because I could (and probably would) have easily imported your SVG into Adobe Illustrator and taken it from there, saving me a lot of time.

If you ever get board again, though, you should try your hand at your own cover. It can make for a pretty fun project if you have the time for it.

I think you may have mis-understood my post.

I didn't mean to say that I wasn't willing to re-do my emblem (quite the contrary!). What I meant was that I actually just finished re-doing it yesterday [after I posted the images of the 2nd cover, which still had the old version of the emblem on it]. Maybe its just confusing because I haven't actually posted an image of my new version of the emblem yet... I was saving it for the next time I update on my progress, but here you go anyway.

And here is the old version again for comparison.

By the way, it seems no one has actually commented on that second album cover yet. Should I be taking that as a bad sign? :?

Glad to finally hear some positive comments on the emblem! I spent a while on that so I'm glad it turned out well.

Heres some inside pieces I put together.. its just an idea I had. I overlayed them over some pictures in photoshop to give you an idea of what it would all look like when put together:

Disk1/Sonic|Disk2/Knuckles|Disk3/Tails|No Disk3/Mecha-Sonic

The words on the left edge are also supposed to show through to the front cover if you use it with a clear jewel case. I should look something like this:

Front(Main)|Front(Bonus)

The images of sonic, knuckles, tails, and mecha-sonic were formed by live-tracing the original sprites in Illustrator, though it was no simple task as I had to (sometimes heavily) modify the sprites in photoshop to get them to trace correctly, as well as some further editing beyond that to smooth it out. I have 3 different traces for each character so if you don't like any of the ones I used I have other ones that you might like more.

So what do you think? If you like the idea, I'll see if I can do something better with them than just dropping down a shadow like that. If not, then I'll just forget about it and move on.