Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Project Chaos - History

k u n g f u c h i c k e n

Beatdrop left... that is like the most crippling blow to this project yet... I was sure his mix was gonna be great... ah well, I dropped Sky Sanctuary. It was useless for me to try and keep going. Unless I get some major motivation on it after I finish Staff Roll. Speaking of Staff Roll, put me down as "colab" with Haydn, since he has some major plans to fix the whole song :lol: there's a lot of collabs going down on this project. It's good because 2 heads are better than one. :wink:

While I'm not rejoicing at the leave of Beatdrop, Master Hatchet will no doubt do a fine job with the track. As with zyko and housethegrate suddenly appearing out of nowhere, which I'm sure is going to rock. :wink:

Just checked in, and the first post is wrong, I dropped Sky Sanctuary. It got to the point where I'd made it as good as I can with my current skills, and it still sounded like crap.

I made a post to that effect in the previous thread, but I guess it got overlooked.

It's just as well, because this gives me the opportunity to offer the project file to anyone who liked what I was doing with it, but is better.

(the song is at http://upthorn.mspencer.net/temp/fordownloading/SanctuaryShortMK2.mp3)

The first part is too simple, the last part has too many instruments, and both of the bass harmonies are discordant, despite essentially being ripped straight from the original.

Also, it needs a beat.

Anyway, if anyone has fruity loops and wants to take a shot at fixing it up and submitting it, just gimme a PM and I'll send a link to the flp.

I know Kanjika's is good, but I'd like someone else to take a crack at it, too.

I'll leave that to KFC.

I also have another matter to talk about.

I'm thinking we do a double album set. (hear me out befora ya lynch me :) )

I think it would be cool if we put all the main game music on "part 1" of the album, and all the competition songs on "part 2". The main reason for suggesting this, is cuz I wanna include the better "losing" tracks. Like, if two people are doing the same song, and the end results are different styles, and both are good, we should include the losing track. Not only to give more people credit for their hard work, but also to give the listeners more than one style of a song they may really like.

Reply and tell me what you think.

So you're saying that on one disc there will be the ones of highest quality plus ones that "tied" in quality due to different styles, and on the other disc will be the other pieces that tied along with the competition pieces? That's sounding pretty good to me.

I think DarfaceX and Ichitootah have a point. It's not a huge loss to the losers if their mixes are not included in the final product - they can always submit their mix to OCR as a stand-alone track if it does not succeed anyway. Otherwise the final product may be asking for unwanted criticism in regard to which song is better and which song should have been included as the main track on the album and so on. Plus, this will also result in some songs getting much more coverage than others, making the whole thing unbalanced.

Strong competition needs to be in place to fuel exceptional music, and if any of the mixers know that their mix isn't quite good enough, they will rest easy knowing that it could be included anyway and could slack off rather than driving through the problem and trying to surpass the other contenders with more creativity. In my eyes any project needs to have a definite and clear-cut track list with no B-sides or whatever.

-Jive

I dont see the point in including the songs that didnt make it. It would ruin how we look at the project i think. Since it started there has been this competition aspect, so why change it now? Bad idea in my eyes.

BTW, why does it say two parts on sandopolis? is that one supposed to get two songs(/or acts), while no other tracks gets two ? sounds wierd to me...

I actually like that idea. You know, it'd not as though it's a competition. For some odd reason the projects just took on a role of competition becasue... I don't know why. These things are community projects. And I think you all missed a point. The only mixes that will be on the project are the top quality ones. That means that even if there are only 2 mixes of a given song, if yours isn't good enough in the first place, it won't be on period. So you still have to have an exceptional mix to be included.

How many projects in the past have you seen that had duplicate tracks that didn't make it yet you still wanted to hear, or have heard & it's kicked buttockles?

Well the way the project has been set up has made it a competition. Maybe if remixers were originally screened for quality at the beginning of the project and only one per mix was allocated after this process it would have avoided the problem.

In addition, I was not at all implying that crap tracks will end up being included in the final product - that's common sense and I didn't think that needed to be stated. I just said that I believe the project needs to have a single mix for each song and that's it (for the reasons stated above).

-Jive

I noticed something odd about projects like this one:

Very few remixers post their WIPs in the WIP forum.

Is there a specific reason for that?

Because I think you would get much more feedback that way and the thread would be less cluttered.

That way, there would be only "new WIP"-announcements and discussion on the project itself in this thread.

(Note: I posted this very same post in the SSF2 thread, I hope you aren't offended by my blatant across-topics-double-post™ :wink: )

I have no idea what's with the 2-part sandopolis gesture either, but it sounds interesting :)

Anyhow, yeah. I don't know how long it may be before I'd be able to put up a new WIP but I'm working on ideas. Given that my exams will be over by monday that'll leave me with more time to work on it... providing my two mix revisions and contest entry for RPGamer's "Splendid Performance" contest don't get in the way. 8O

And... what happened to AkumajoBelmont? Did I miss something?

And... what happened to AkumajoBelmont? Did I miss something?

He left, because he wasn't satisfied with his WIP.

Red Tailed Fox left as well, but there are still 3 remixers for Hydro City, so I guess everything is fine... or something. :?

And about the two part sandopolis:

Zyko and I have been wanting to collaborate for a long time now, so I presented him with Sandopolis (this was before I assumed the role of co-director). We both agreed on it, and I went to check on what DarkeSword was doing with the track. I liked what he had, and didn't know if I wanted to go through with the Zyko collab since I was already doing so many other things on here.

Well, I proposed a solution for everyone! DarkeSword will work on his Sandopolis (I offered to play guitar for him), and that will be part one of the song. Part two will be done by Zyko and BrainCells.

Think of it as one song done by 4 people. The two parts we have planned will mix together in one very nice piece.

So yeah, it's one song, split into two parts, done by 4 people.