Windows 8

Deathtank

Yeah... it almost looks like more of a shell/application sitting on top of Windows 7 than something more invasive/extensive. Not a bad shell, from the looks of it, but rewriting/upgrading an OS is different from writing a new visual shell, so I'm particularly interested to see what other areas get an update... otherwise, it's less of an OS and more of an application.

I was going to build a new system, but I decided to put that on hold when I heard about W8 coming out.

I love W7 and I can't wait to see what they will do to improve it in W8.

The "instant on" feature sounds pretty interesting. I guess they're trying to make it more efficient like apple. It only takes my computer a couple of minutes to turn on and load everything up. Its not like I mind the wait, but I'm glad they are trying to implement this feature.

An "app store"? Why the fuck does everything have to have an app store?

Better power consumption is always a good thing. My laptop will like that.

Because it's the new thing. If your product doesn't have the new thing, it's not new, and no one wants it.

The sad thing is that this is partially true...

My first thought when I saw windows 8 was "Wow, this is a really nice tablet interface... wait, this is for a desktop? What the heck?" I'd have to agree with djp, it really only looks like a pretty picture on top of windows 7. I'm hoping there's a way to turn the pretty pictures off.

Yeah, this OS looks pretty good for a tablet, or a windows phone. For a PC though, it looks terrible. Everything is moving towards the crappy large tiles and apps, which is a step back in my opinion. So far, this looks to be really noob friendly, but really unfriendly towards people who actually know how to effectively use a computer.

Yeah, this OS looks pretty good for a tablet, or a windows phone. For a PC though, it looks terrible. Everything is moving towards the crappy large tiles and apps, which is a step back in my opinion. So far, this looks to be really noob friendly, but really unfriendly towards people who actually know how to effectively use a computer.

the tilemenu can be bypassed to the desktop

try actually reading things that people link before you talk about them

I'm still perfectly happy with Windows XP which gets daily use along with Vista on my laptops and 7 on my netbook. WIndows 8 looks fine for a portable computer, but I wouldn't ever use it for a desktop. Here's hoping that software developers don't force us to use that tiled UI shell in the future. I can't even begin to imagine how Photoshop would function properly in it.

Like bleck just said the tile interface is optional. This is 7 with touch screen focus and a terrible, but optional, zune/winphone7 interface. 8 can probably can be entirely ignored if you have 7 unless your really into touch screens. I see this as MS trying to out manuver Apple by offering the windows os in a tablet and still having the simplicity that ipad users want for some reason. The ARM support definatly is a big key there as windows generally has only ran on x86 chips

I feel bad for Alesis.

Earlier this year they told me they don't make new drivers for an OS for like 2 or 3 years and they literally just now have an almost-dependable Windows 7 driver. Now Windows 8 is going to come out and everyone will be yelling at them to produce a Win8 driver. :-D

But yeah, I'm with djp, I really don't need to upgrade Win7 unless it's very substantial.

Could it be that Microsoft is moving toward the more-frequent-updates-with-fewer-changes model that Apple uses for OSX?

I doubt that, windows has always been a 3 year release frame (aside from Vista).

I'll wait to comment on it until I've seen/tried out the final RTM. They have a habit to show selective previews, specifically for hardware distributors (which this preview was aimed at), but there might be some nice things that they've worked on under the hood too.

the tilemenu can be bypassed to the desktop

try actually reading things that people link before you talk about them

Oh, I know it can be bypassed, I just wish they wouldn't even make it with the tiles to begin with. Instead of trying to make their new OS look like a smartphone/apple device to appeal to the computer-retarded generation, they could just spend their time working on a desktop OS and making it better. If they would do that instead of focusing on crappy but flashy things like the tilemenu, then they would have less of a chance of having another catastrophe such as vista.

hmm I must have skipped over the part where they said they were focusing entirely on the tile gui and not really changing anything about the OS itself

oh wait there just wasn't any part like that at all

But it's obvious from the video this is their focus of the new OS. The video pretty much reads "Look at this amazing new tile OS, and how pretty it is. Look at all the cool stuff it can do, it's gonna be so awesome! Oh, and we're also gonna include that desktop thing."

aaaaaaand? Windows 7 is basically perfect for everyone (GUI-wise) in the market right now, what reason do they have to develop a new OS from the ground up other than to re-fuck up a lot of driver compatibility for everyone

Microsoft needs to develop a new OS to a) stay in the market since a lot of people have Windows 7 now and sales are probably slowing down and B) to compete in areas that have to do with interface

what exactly do you want them to do other than make a new thing that nobody needs that they'll probably take a lot of flak for and lose a lot of money with?

aaaaaaand? Windows 7 is basically perfect for everyone (GUI-wise) in the market right now, what reason do they have to develop a new OS from the ground up other than to re-fuck up a lot of driver compatibility for everyone

Microsoft needs to develop a new OS to a) stay in the market since a lot of people have Windows 7 now and sales are probably slowing down and B) to compete in areas that have to do with interface

what exactly do you want them to do other than make a new thing that nobody needs that they'll probably take a lot of flak for and lose a lot of money with?

So, because people are happy with something means they shouldn't bother to improve it? I see a flaw in your logic sir.

Windows fanboys will be Windows fanboys.

Considering Apple follows the same design pattern, I don't see the problem. In the last 10 years, the way we use computers has changed dramatically. Effectively limitless storage, memory and processing power all mean that people can do (and store) way more now than they ever could before. The problem is in interaction. Notice how many of the most significant and lucrative products in the last 10 years have related to user interfaces

* Mac OSX

* Apple iPod and the music players that followed

* Touch-screen smartphones / tablets

* Nintendo Wii

* Nintendo DS (Stylus)

etc.

People like "apps". People like touch. People like cohesive interfaces where they can easily get to their photos, music and videos. People, in short, do not want to think of computers as "computers" but simply tools that allow them to do X, Y or Z. In other words, people aren't (and don't want to be) Linux nerds. Apple has been capitalizing on this for some time now. There have always been MP3 players more powerful and fully-featured than the iPod, and there were great smartphones well before the iPhone. But these products were successful because of their superior user interface design. Likewise, the Nintendo Wii blasted open the market for video games by taking the focus away from increasingly arcane controls and letting people simply play the games intuitively.

As a power user of Windows, I would be disappointed if the newest version did not come with any improvements to, say, multicore threading or audio processing. But I understand why Microsoft is moving in this direction, and it really makes the most sense.

Considering Apple follows the same design pattern, I don't see the problem.

As zirc mentioned, Apple iterates about once every other year -- maybe a little shorter timeline than that. No one complains when Snow Leopard replaces whatever came before it, and everyone is looking forward to Lion later this year.

I would _much_ rather have Windows 8 come out instead of having MS call it Windows 7 Service Pack 2 and go through the whole mess of having to define those terms to computer illiterate people again, even if the update from 7 --> 8 is only as much (relatively) as it was from XP1 --> XP2.

I understand that there will actually be more offered than that, but clearer numbering is definitely the way to go in any case.

Notice how many of the most significant and lucrative products in the last 10 years have related to user interfaces

* Mac OSX

* Apple iPod and the music players that followed

* Touch-screen smartphones / tablets

* Nintendo Wii

* Nintendo DS (Stylus)

I'll take "OS's that I hate" for 500 please.