Windows 8

Deathtank

BardicKnowledge:

Apple charges like, what, $30 for their new OSs? MS charges $120-150 for the basic "home" versions, and the prices climb from there. Much bigger investment.

Also strange you'd rather pay for 8 then get a free service pack for 7.

Not true. Mac OS X is usually in the same price range. Snow Leopard was only $30 because they didn't add any new features, just improved the ones that were introduced in Leopard (hence why it still has "leopard" in the name). Lion will be the same price point as other OS's.

I'm actually excited for Lion. The direction Apple is moving (and why companies like Microsoft are following) is almost begging for an iPad that can run full-featured Mac OS X instead of iOS.

Not true. Mac OS X is usually in the same price range. Snow Leopard was only $30 because they didn't add any new features, just improved the ones that were introduced in Leopard (hence why it still has "leopard" in the name). Lion will be the same price point as other OS's.

I'm actually excited for Lion. The direction Apple is moving (and why companies like Microsoft are following) is almost begging for an iPad that can run full-featured Mac OS X instead of iOS.

Also consider that:

• For the most part, OS X will only install on apple certified hardware
  • Most people aren't going to build their own mac, so they're going to make nearly all the profit on sales
  • OS X has changed VERY LITTLE from version 1 to versions 6 now, when compared to even Windows 98 to Windows 7

Also: OS X doesn't require a key to install so piracy of that OS is pretty rampant as well.

If this smartphone UI isn't allowed to be disabled over the more productive regular desktop UI, I'm switching to Ubuntu.

Don't have to buy it, and I can run anything I need through WINE. Thank Intel for Core i7 processors.

Believe me when I say: You can't run anything you need through WINE unless your needs are quite small. :)

I realize I could very well be wrong, but I believe that they realize the tile interface is not useful to anyone above a casual user. It really does seem geared towards the tablet or netbook market (people who mainly use a computer to check email and news). I kind of see the tile interface as Microsoft's version of what Google is doing with the ChromeOS (in a way). And even if they don't give an option to disable it, at least it appears to be easy to switch away from.

I hope that as they are closer to releasing it (or after it's released), they start advertising those features more towards the casual user. The videos going out now seem more like a "Hey guys, check out this cool thing we're going to do" and less like a "Hey superuser, this is what you're going to be stuck with in Windows 8". I'm kind of glad to see this kind of passion in what they're doing that they want to share it as it is worked on.

Overall, it doesn't seem like it's enough to make me want to jump from Windows 7 to it. However, if I were building or buying a new computer in the future, I wouldn't mind having it. I supposed I'll wait and see based on future news though.

If this smartphone UI isn't allowed to be disabled over the more productive regular desktop UI, I'm switching to Ubuntu.

Don't have to buy it, and I can run anything I need through WINE. Thank Intel for Core i7 processors.

wine loooool...you've never really used it, have you? nothing runs on wine. at all. nothing that matters, at least. dual boot or nothing.

remember that an enormous amount of windows sales - that they've been losing a lot of, lately, to apple - come in the corporate sector. they're not going to massively change the UI after the trainwreck that was the switch to the ribbon UI. the ribbon's way better, but people freaked out because they couldn't see their Edit menu all the time. same thing won't happen here.

besides, you can still do the windows classic skin - basically windows 98's skin - in w7. and people do, too. so they're not going to remove a major 'feature' in favor of a different one. they're just going to hope that more people use it.

Well I may have been incorrect as of my post but now I am correct: Lion is $30 too.

Neblix: the stuff shown shows off the "real" windows inteface both full screen and side by side with the panels. Not sure why anybody thinks these panels aren't optional. Nobody apparently paying attention

Also like everybody says wine is far from a perfect solution. Especially if you want games that arent decades old.