OCR02247 - Final Fantasy VII "Heavy Mako"

this is really fucking cool. i really dig that modern, hyper-compressed sound and it's nice to have it get some more representation on the site. the playing and arrangement are great (nice rhythm work!) and i think it feels like a natural fit despite maybe being a little unnatural in theory. very cool stuff, hoping to hear some more in the future.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt if you will. Maybe I don't like wall-of-sound as much as I think I do.

What bugs me firstly is the distortion (wait, what?!). On smaller speakers, the tune sounds like percussive fuzz. Turning the distortion down to 10.5 might have opened things up just enough to be discernible. That is, instead of a cloud of static where an occasional chord or single note might peek out of the fog and say hello (in a very straightforward manner) and then disappear into the ruckus again. On larger speakers and a couple different pair of headphones this problem is less pronounced, of course.

Though, what can be heard through the distortion in those cases is a "one chord"-feeling through the whole piece. The quick guitar runs and 2-chord swing back and forth doesn't allow the fuzz to relax any, so while chords are well and truly moving, the sensation of motion isn't there thanks to the distortion keeping certain frequencies active all the time.

Leads are simple, to the point of not contributing that much to the piece. Even a well-placed vibrato would have made a world of difference. The doubling was nice, but wasn't quite enough to give them legs.

Overall it feels like a show for the double kick, which itself acts like it's supporting other interesting elements in the higher registers, while the higher-register stuff is conservative(! yes, I said it) because it acts like it's giving structure to crazy awesomeness in the lows. With this dual-support structure it comes across as loud but really, really tame.

There are a couple personal nits about the choir having slightly odd panning (feels a bit tilted to the right and forward), cymbals could have been a bit brighter, but that's me being fussy at this point.

All this being said, I completely respect the effort put into this (yes, really). It's mixed pretty well on the whole and one of the few pieces I don't mind massive compression on. I like the double kick work and the way it cuts nicely through. I fully expect to be disagreed with by others on many points above, but really, after all's said and done this is totally worth a listen or three. :)

Machine-gun drumming? Is that referring to the double bass or the blastbeats? Hehe and now there's a tommy gun snare.. what is this, The Godfather?

Justin's probably my favorite newcoming artist. Sure, metal bias, but also you don't hear metal like this in the remixing world, and definitely not on OCR. This song is a treat and I'm overjoyed to see it up here now. :nicework:

Word to your mother: http://www.myspace.com/knightoftheroundmetal

hatersplit.jpg

Take my opinion with a grain of salt if you will. Maybe I don't like wall-of-sound as much as I think I do....

Going to have to say I agree with you on your review on the whole. The rhythm is so compressed that I initially thought it was a synth until I read the exacting detail of how this was recorded, and it overwhelms the lead, which in the source material is so powerful and emotion-stirring. The source immediately evokes a feeling of respect that is reserved for weapons of mass destruction, where this feels more like an automated assembly plant: a cacophony of noise created as machines solder, rivet, and transform raw materials into heavy construction equipment.

I like it. The original was a lot more atmoshperic, but your ReMix.... just adds a certain flavor that brings out the melancholy undertones in that first Mako Reactor scene. When Cloud starts hearing voices and we have no idea why yet... Truly a nice work.

The title describes it all, but it's not a complaint. I mean, personally, the "loudness" keeps me from enjoying it enough. When it comes to "loud", I like booming bass, not just non-stop rhythm guitars (wrong word for it, I know).

But, really, even though I don't enjoy it, I'd have to say that I do appreciate it for what it is, and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes very, very loud metal. Good work.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to peel my ears off the tracks of the sound-train. Dammit, that metaphor really went to hell, didn't it...

The production on this reminds me of a specific song by the group Biomechanical during parts of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-cQFCCOvX8 <--- however chaotic this is however, man you got it beat with this track.

I LOVE metal, but this is actually a production style I can't stand becuase yes, I love wall of sound, but I prefer my wall of sound to be more Strapping Young Lad (which fits the ARRANGEMENT of this perfectly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-cQFCCOvX8 <--- still full, but amazing.

I agree with Nekofrog on the grounds that the rhythms having less gain may have helped the issue. I know that its hard to get the perfect crystal clear production style that I love, however all I could hear on my set up was rhythms, kick and snare with the occasional lead popping up from underneath the noise.

Now that I have eviscerated what I don't like about it....

OH MY GOD DUDE! This is sick stuff, I love the rhythmic variation and how its brutal the entire time. You're like "screw dynamics man" and I couldn't be happier about it. God that guitar tone is so beefy and destructive that I think my brain melted a little bit which is why it was hard to enjoy all the way through on the first listen. I had to pause and take in the awesome.

http://youtu.be/wscZhvj_lH4?t=19s <-- this fits quite well.

Overall good work, it really makes me happy to see moar METUL, not just like synth hardrock, but metul!

Yeah, have to agree with both the praise and the crits already put out there. LOVE what's here, great track, but can't help but dream of a version where the melodic aspects got a bit stronger run. Make more musics please :)

• 1 month later...
...it comes across as loud but really, really tame.

This...this is actually pretty spot-on as far as my own feelings for this are concerned.

The entire remix is so loud and brutal throughout its entire runtime that it actually loses impact. tefnek's The End was so impressive because the aggressive, hard parts stuck out, but this here is just one wall of sound without any highlights.

Not my cup of tea, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Ah yes, some metal! I can hear what you were going for, but I think the loudness did kinda hold this back a bit. A bit of cleaning would fix that right up, so small deal. I actually like some of the switches you tried towards the middle of the song, and overall this has the "heavy" all covered and I have to say that the latter part of the mix and ending is more my speed. Not bad at all, just one or two nitpicks from me.

• 2 weeks later...

absolutely sick song. It fits the source really well especially when you're in the Mount Nibel reactor. Your rhythms are absolutely sick. I could just sit and listen to just your rhythms and forget the melody even existed. Supreme props man. May this be the first of many sick submissions

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02247 - Final Fantasy VII "Heavy Mako"