OCR01330 - Final Fantasy VI "Haunted Train Disco"

djpretzel

There needs to be a huge front-page announcement:

VBR FUCKS WITH MEDIA PLAYERS.

Anyway, this track is really cool. I dislike how some of the loops are layered, because they don't sound very natural when played on top of one another, but other than that, this is really atmospheric and groovy.

-chth

You said it, buddy! I thought Winamp was going to crash because of this track. Other than that, I did like the mix, but I was a little dissappointed because the original meldoy was drowned in the rest of the groove. It's creepy, man. I love it. Make another one, TO!

I found this when looking through the judge panel for songs with more than 4 replies (you know you'll find some interesting contraversy in those threads). ;)

Interesting new version, it lives up to the name well. My favorite part is probably at 2:20 when the song smoothly jumps back to the different synth/pads harmonizing and cycling through both ears, followed by that nice moogish bass and cool pulsating/reverby background notes. The two drumloops playing together at around 0:57 was interesting, and there's some nice effects hiding within the flow all around. For me, this song gets better after a few listens, after your expectations and/or element of surprise wears off... and you just want to relax and dive into the groove; watching all the subtle things come to life with the atmosphere. Pretty nice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I wasn´t that content with the welcome committee. Sure, this is a spoooooky remix, but that line about "Welcome to your doooooom" wasn´t my cup of tea.

The song did have some nice beats to it. Funky, and of course had those creepy ghost whistlers along, didn´t hear "The Phantom Train", maybe because I don´t remembers it quite well.

I thought I recognized those voices, now I know. Those voices sounds very much as the "Knaaren" from Rayman 3:Hoodlum Havoc.

• 3 weeks later...
Sure, this is a spoooooky remix, but that line about "Welcome to your doooooom" wasn´t my cup of tea.

I believe it's actually "Velcome to your dooooom," but yes, I completely agree. I feel flat out embarassed to listen to this mix with the words at the beginning. Ug. It's a real shame, because the mix after that is good.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

To all the people harping about the Magus theme: I too was a bit thrown off at first, but I didn't have to go back to the source to remember that the melody did indeed start out like that for the Ghost Train theme. The notes at the tail end of the source are a bit different, and the rest of the notes deviate even more as the source goes on, but it definitely sounds like Magus for the first 3 seconds. It seems like Orichalon went full Magus, though, for the first section. Either he did the melody from memory, or did that on purpose.

It's very likely that they used the beginning of this source as inspiration for Magus. It makes sense, him being the ghoulish type and all.

At the end of the day, it's a good remix - and that's all that matters!

• 2 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01330 - Final Fantasy VI "Haunted Train Disco"