X-Men: First Class - nothing after the credits.

ambient

That would be great if it wasn't for the fact that the Z-Men movies kind of suck. Even the best of them is still pretty lame.

Also, the Wolverine movie kind of ruined the whole prequel thing. It was just so random and poorly written.

This has to be a reboot, which would be very welcome.

The wolverine movie made me nerd-rage the hardest.

Your reasoning would be correct, except for the fact that there was one in X3.

It hasn't always been a teaser for what is to come next, as you have seen in the recent Marvel movies such as Thor and Iron Man. Two examples right off the top of my head are 1) once again, X3, and 2) Daredevil.

No, that's not what we're talking about. Iron Man 1 and 2, Hulk and Thor (and of course, Captain America when it comes out) all have stingers that hinted at the next movie in the current Avengers movie series. X3's stinger was just a follow-up to something they foreshadowed earlier in the movie. It didn't mention, showcase or hint at anything to do with any other Marvel based movies, just as the two FF and 3 Spider-Man movies didn't connect to each other. They're separate universes, where the other characters and events from each series don't exist.

This has to be a reboot, which would be very welcome.

No more %$&^ing reboots!

What they did here was exactly what the film industry needs to do everywhere else.

"Okay, we screwed up badly with X3 and Wolverine, so let's keep going, but let's get it right this time."

And then they did. Beats the living hell out of another sorry, unnecessary, money-grabbing reboot. For that, I applaud them. When they made a mistake they picked themselves up and powered forward. Compare that to Spider-Man 3 - "Oh !@#^, REBOOT! REBOOT!"

No more %$&^ing reboots!

What they did here was exactly what the film industry needs to do everywhere else.

"Okay, we screwed up badly with X3 and Wolverine, so let's keep going, but let's get it right this time."

And then they did. Beats the living hell out of another sorry, unnecessary, money-grabbing reboot. For that, I applaud them. When they made a mistake they picked themselves up and powered forward. Compare that to Spider-Man 3 - "Oh !@#^, REBOOT! REBOOT!"

I may be reading this wrong, but the first two lines clash with each other, considering that this definitely was a reboot.

I may be reading this wrong, but the first two lines clash with each other, considering that this definitely was a reboot.

My sense from the movie was that it wasn't intended as a reboot. The opening in Poland is pretty much a shot-for-shot re-creation of the opening to X-Men 1, and the constant cuts between locations also seems to be a throwback to the storytelling technique of X-Men 1 -- I think the location titles even use the same font. And Xavier's pickup-line about mutation is almost exactly what he says in the opening voice-over to X-Men 1.

On the other hand, there are small inconsistencies, such as Xavier saying in X-Men 1 that he was 17 when he met Magneto whereas he meets Magneto in First Class after finishing a doctoral dissertation.

So apparently this movie is amazing. I haven't seen it and wasn't all that interested by the previews, but people whose opinions I respect say it's pretty fantastic, soooo...

As someone you've never met I will corroborate your friend's opinion with my own - it is indeed pretty fantastic.

Regarding the ties to Iron Man, Avengers and all that, I understand that Oliver Platt's character is actually supposed to be that reference. He doesn't have a name, after all, he's just "a man in a black suit."

And Moseph, who says Xavier isn't 17 when he gives his doctoral thesis? He is a pretty smart cookie, after all, eh?

And they definitely tie it into the continuity of the first 2 films what with one particular mutant Charles and Erik try to recruit but has no interest whatsoever in joining them, as well as when Mystique briefly ages herself. And if absolutely nothing else, Bryan Singer helped write the story and served as a producer on the film, so this this was kind of his stepbaby or nephew - that is, not his own project. I reckon they're all pretending X3 and Wolverine: Origins didn't happen.

On the other hand, there are small inconsistencies, such as Xavier saying in X-Men 1 that he was 17 when he met Magneto whereas he meets Magneto in First Class after finishing a doctoral dissertation.

Not to mention the way Xavier becomes paralyzed in this film, which clashes with the Patrick Stewart iteration being able to walk in the X3 opening flashback.

Not to mention the way Xavier becomes paralyzed in this film, which clashes with the Patrick Stewart iteration being able to walk in the X3 opening flashback.

I didn't catch that since I've been putting off watching X3 on account of how terrible everyone says it is. I rewatched X1 last night after seeing First Class (and actually didn't like it as much as I'd remembered) and will watch X2 again, so I'll probably just go ahead and watch X3, too.

Just watched the film, and absolutely loved it. I'm not much of a Marvel fan (quit reading after Civil War series) but I will say they got the dynamic between Eric and Charles perfect.

In terms of continuity with the comics, I've let go of the whole, "be accurate to the page". I recal watching Sin City, and being bored with it (though i did enjoy Mickey Rourkes story). We won't ever have a time were the films are all 100 percent true to the source.

Im in agreement with Spiderman, there's no need for a total reboot. They could do a Incredible Hulk type reboot (show how everything started within a few minutes), besides, we all know how it happened. I'm hopeful for the néw Spiderman film, the guy who did 500'Days of Summer is making it if I'm not mistaken, and that was a pretty good film.

Did you see Spider-Man 3?

Yeah, I did. Again, there's no real need to reboot Spiderman. Most everybody knows how he becomes Spiderman, same goes for Superman, we don't need a complete retelling of it, we know how Superman becomes who he is. Although, I can understand WHY they're rebooting Superman, it's been almost forty years since the first movie, and Singer didn't do anything special with Superman Returns (I did like Brandon Routh as Superman though).

I honestly don't believe that Zack Snyder was a good choice to redo Superman right now, until I see a trailer, then I will try to stay positive on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else seen the movie yet?

For me it's on another level when it comes to all these recent comic book movies. The source material is taken seriously, the writing is fantastic and moving, the acting is top notch, and the SFX are amazing. I wasn't a fan of Thor (I guess Hensworth's Pecs don't have power over me), and after seeing this movie it just made me want to say "THAT'S HOW YA DO IT!"

Not since Inglorious Basterds have I wanted so bad to immediately get a movie on Blu-ray. I will admit it was a bit long, but it's not LotR long at least.