X-Men: First Class - nothing after the credits.

ambient

I have not saw this film yet......but I expect it to be awful. Like all the Marvel films except the first Iron Man film, I'm sure it'll be another horrific slaughter of the 7 different kinds of fuck awesome that is the comics and their beloved characters and story.

My two cents.

My two cents are you shouldn't take comic books too seriously.

ps. Thor was a badass movie :-)

Thanks for letting us know; it always feels like a waste if you chance it and there's nothing there.

Also, AngelCityOutlaw, just curious, are you a comic fan to the extent that you read a lot of them and are familiar with the various series out there that have received movie adaptations over the last decade? I ask because I'm not a comic book fan at all, though I've largely enjoyed the movies. To name a few that I like, and seem univerally praised, X-Men 1 & 2, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and Spiderman 1 & 2 are all pretty good as far as I can tell. I also enjoyed Kick Ass and Watchmen. And probably some others I'm forgetting.

But the one thing I liked that a lot of other people didn't was X-Men Origins: Wolverine. In particular, I loved Deadpool ~ needless to say, this was before people actually told me who Deadpool was. So my question is do you, or anyone else here who wants to chime in, think that comic book fans tend to see these movies in a worse light than non-comic book fans?

Thanks for letting us know; it always feels like a waste if you chance it and there's nothing there.

Also, AngelCityOutlaw, just curious, are you a comic fan to the extent that you read a lot of them and are familiar with the various series out there that have received movie adaptations over the last decade? I ask because I'm not a comic book fan at all, though I've largely enjoyed the movies. To name a few that I like, and seem univerally praised, X-Men 1 & 2, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and Spiderman 1 & 2 are all pretty good as far as I can tell. I also enjoyed Kick Ass and Watchmen. And probably some others I'm forgetting.

But the one thing I liked that a lot of other people didn't was X-Men Origins: Wolverine. In particular, I loved Deadpool ~ needless to say, this was before people actually told me who Deadpool was. So my question is do you, or anyone else here who wants to chime in, think that comic book fans tend to see these movies in a worse light than non-comic book fans?

Indeed I'm a bit of a comic nerd lol.

Well, the reason that I don't like most of the comic to movie adaptations is because...let's use SpiderMan as an example.

I loved to read the spiderman comics. In most of Marvel's spidey comics, SpiderMan is a bit of a nerd.......but at the same time a wise-cracking badass. In the movies, he was portrayed by Toby Mcguire (probably spellin' that name wrong). Toby didn't remind me of Spider Man at all. Everything down to Toby's voice just seemed so weak and scrawny. He just didn't remind me of spiderman.

My favorites are the X-Men. I hated the movies though. The actors were "alright" in my opinion at representing the characters. The big thing with those films though, is that they made changes to the stories and how the characters were related to each other etc. It just didn't feel like the X-Men and in my opinion, it resulted in an inferior plot and characters.

I liked Iron Man because I never actually read much of the Iron Man comics (so I don't know much about the story) but from the ones I did read, I always imagined how Tony Stark would be if he was real. Rob Downey Jr. looks a lot like Tony Stark and he acts like how I always thought the character would.

The reason many comic fans don't like the movies is because of one problem. Reality sucks. The fictional characters lack any truly human flaws and exist within imagination. In a sense, they're perfect. Therefore, it's extremely difficult to find real people who will match up to them in a live action film. The original stories are the ones that fans first came to know and love. However, a writer and director want to make the source material something of their own. So what happens is, they change things. Things that didn't need to be changed. So in lots of comic fans eyes, the story of the live action film is inferior.

Animated series usually fair far better in the opinions of fans, because animation is pretty much the comic pages brought to life with a voice put to the characters. Finding a voice is much easier than finding a real world clone. Plus, in animation, it's easier to portray a true to the original story. Because you don't have real life limitations that may require you to adjust the story/characters to pull it off.

Moral of the story, if you're a douchebag like me. They just can't make ya happy.

Though I can certainly still enjoy a movie or game that isn't completely true to the source.

I loved the 92' version and 30s version of Dracula. Both of which deviate heavily from what is my favorite novel.

I also love the Darkness game (w00t #2 is coming) and it's nothing like the comics. Still beyond awesome in it's own right though.

Man, I make no sense........

First Class was great, it's definitely not one to skip.

I didn't catch Stan Lee in the movie, although considering this movie could have been called "X-Men: Attack of the Cameos" it's likely I just missed it. The number of big names and well recognized actors in small roles and bit parts was ridiculous. One cameo, in particular, stood out as the film's best. You'll know it when you see it.

The rest of casting was fantastic and even James McAvoy, of whom I was most skeptical, did an utterly superb job in his turn as Xavier.

Comic enthusiasts and purists might take issue with the inevitable mythos changes a movie like this incurs, but I thought it all worked really well.

The reason many comic fans don't like the movies is because of one problem. Reality sucks. The fictional characters lack any truly human flaws and exist within imagination. In a sense, they're perfect. Therefore, it's extremely difficult to find real people who will match up to them in a live action film. The original stories are the ones that fans first came to know and love. However, a writer and director want to make the source material something of their own. So what happens is, they change things. Things that didn't need to be changed. So in lots of comic fans eyes, the story of the live action film is inferior.

Wasn't the whole point of Marvel when they first started doing superhero stuff way back then, was that their characters were highly flawed and supposed to be like real people?

I'm going to watch X2 again soon to be sure, but I really think this is the best X-Men movie. I was extremely skeptical of retelling this story, but it is done incredibly well. Surprisingly, the three characters who appear in as "adults" are all played be very talented young people here -- if you fear going to a movie where you're going to hate Magneto, Xavier, and Mystique, be afraid no more -- all three of those roles are incredibly well played.

TL;DR -- Go see this _now_, it's amazing.

Wasn't the whole point of Marvel when they first started doing superhero stuff way back then, was that their characters were highly flawed and supposed to be like real people?

I'm not sure. Either way, I don't think a fictional superhero is ever really like a real person lol. They've tried to make it more realistic by creating all these personal struggles with the characters and all that but in my opinion it actually made it less believable.

I recall reading an old, old interview with Stan Lee or Jack Kirby where he said that in other comics (DC of course) the characters are god like. At the end of the day, No one is smarter than Batman, No one is stronger than Superman, No one is faster than Flash etc. In DC comics and what not.

In Marvel comics, Spidey, The X-Men, Avengers etc. don't always win. They're not omnipotent.

I was under the impression that there was no stinger at the end because it's not tied into the same universe as the Iron Man/Hulk/Thor/Cap America/Avengers series.

Which is a good idea, really.

Both that, and the fact that they can't really tease us with what comes next, since it's either 1) an unlikely sequel to the prequel that takes place before X1 or 2) X1.

That would be great if it wasn't for the fact that the Z-Men movies kind of suck. Even the best of them is still pretty lame.

Also, the Wolverine movie kind of ruined the whole prequel thing. It was just so random and poorly written.

This has to be a reboot, which would be very welcome.

They killed Deadpool, ruining the future Deadpool movie, for me anyway

I was under the impression that there was no stinger at the end because it's not tied into the same universe as the Iron Man/Hulk/Thor/Cap America/Avengers series.

Which is a good idea, really.

Your reasoning would be correct, except for the fact that there was one in X3.

Both that, and the fact that they can't really tease us with what comes next, since it's either 1) an unlikely sequel to the prequel that takes place before X1 or 2) X1.

It hasn't always been a teaser for what is to come next, as you have seen in the recent Marvel movies such as Thor and Iron Man. Two examples right off the top of my head are 1) once again, X3, and 2) Daredevil.