OCR01331 - Final Fantasy VI "Shadows Among the Ruins"

djpretzel

For some reason this mix isn't doing much for me. I think it's just trying to do too much at once.

It's trying to be dark and foreboding, but there's just just too many upbeat elements to it.

It has some interesting moments, like the intro, but ultimately it just winds up being ok. Definitely an interesting period piece though.

• 2 years later...

A pretty nice precursor to the epic madness of future zircon.

I think it would have been nice to have that first lead at 0:47 to have a little more modwheel vibrato (it's pretty subtle), but oh well. These days, that'd happen. I also would have liked that sync lead patch at 3:27 to have come earlier, but that's alright.

To me, the female vocals felt out of place and kind of fighting a bit with the lead, and choir vocals in the background would have worked better, but it's not necessary.

I liked the occasional dBlue Glitch effects and resonant filter sweep effects on the drums. ;)

For a 2005 mix, this is quite awesome! Great work, zircon. :D

Edited by timaeus222

This has been on my remix playlist for many years now, hehe.. Even though old, I still like the soundscape&arrangement so much that I find myself coming back to this. Absolute favorite part of mine, which hasn't dated at all IMO, starts at 1:25. Just so hauntingly beautiful. Of course, that's my favorite part of the original song also. I hope zircon would have used that more in this song :D

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01331 - Final Fantasy VI "Shadows Among the Ruins"