DragonAvenger

Submission Title (See Attached): Quicksander

Genre: Dubstep

Contact Information

Remixer Name: A.COE

Submission Information

Name of game arranged: Sonic & Knuckles

Name of original song arranged: Sandopolis Zone Act 2

Additional Info About Game: (Already added to site)

Link to Original Soundtrack:

My Own Comments:

Sonic 3 & Knuckles was the zenith of the Sonic Franchise. Sadly, the new games are frankly an embarrassment in comparison. Hopefully this bitchin' dubstep remix will serve as a fitting tribute to a masterpiece. Just doing my part to give the Sonic games of yesteryear the proper respect they deserve. The Sandopolis Zone (Act 2) music is a little unusual compared to other Sonic tracks, and allowed me to be very inventive while injecting a load of grit and filth. Here's to a level that caused many players a whole lot of grief.

right on. i'm in a love/hate relationship with dubstep, but I love the melodic approach; having more than just a half tempo drum loop and obnoxious bass is the first step towards a good dubstep. :P

so yeah, really digging the arrangement. it's a great fit for the source, and adds tons of personalization while keeping the source pretty in tact. well chosen synths and nice automation and attention to detail. I do have a few minor complaints. first off, your wobble bass sounds are huge, but I feel they could have some more oomph in the sub-bass frequencies. the song overall is also quite loud, not necessarily overcompressed; the quality is good, but it's pushing the master really hard, and the high frequencies of your trance lead and crashes were a bit harsh on the ears. of course this easily remedied by turning my volume down a notch or two but when it's pushing that hard at full volume, I feel it's at least worth mentioning.

all in all, a solid mix. tempted to go conditional on toning back the highs just a tad, but if the other J's are sold on this, then I am too. :)

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool arrangement. I generally am somewhat dubious about dubstep as it tends to be somewhat gimmicky, but I think you used it really well here. The theme is very present here, and you've given it a nice touch. I do see Halc's worries with the overall volume, and I agree it wouldn't hurt to come down a bit, but I am ok with it as is as well.

Nice mix.

YES

Not a whole lot to add to what's already been said. I can hear what halc's saying on the highs being harsh, but it weren't enough to really bother my ears too much.

To be very nitpicky, I think the balance could be worked on a bit to get everything a little more cohesive. For example, the bass at :27 is quite loud and relegates the beat back in the soundscape a little more than it needs to. There are also some later sections where there's a lot going on and the track gets a bit crowded.

Solid track here, though. Looking forward to hearing more from you in the future.

Dub