Appreciation of VG Music 7: Guitars

Capa Langley

Theme #7: Guitars

What is needed:

• Link a stream or youtube video of your favorite original track that must correspond with the current theme. Not limited to just one.
  • Explain why you like the specific track. Don't just say you like it.
  • Some favorites will often be shared between more than one persons. This means someone else will likely post a track which you like. So instead post your 2nd favorite or so forth. No duplicates. The idea here is to spread as much different tracks as possible.
  • Or, you can post a track you've never really listened to before and write why it should be enjoyed.
  • Participation is key.

Previous sessions:

1. Battle Music

2. Game Boy

3. Vocals

4. Scary Theme

5. Sad Theme

6. Live Instruments

From No More Heroes:

Very nice. Following that up with something from No More Heroes 2, New Destroyman's theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llxpUdS-DLQ

Its a pretty rocking tune. My favourite from that game for some reason. It just got my adrenaline pumping real good.

This is also one of my favourites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drmC7bnF_1E

Snowboarding in Sonic Adventure. A really awesome song. Lovin' the cheesy brass, and the guitars are rocking.

*EDIT - OH I FORGOT THIS ONE.

Sword Sparks from The Last Remnant:

Such an awesome battle theme. Wasn't even for a boss or anything, just normal fights. Really love the rock infused with symphonic elements.

, from Chrono Cross. And that's not the only one on the soundtrack. I have yet to hear another game that uses synths that well. Not completely convincing, but certainly excellent. Just catch those frets.

Chrono Cross's soundtrack is a triumph. As long as we're mentioning pieces with guitar, I love the soft acoustic guitar melody in the background of "Dream of a Shore Bordering Another World".

I can't think of guitars in video game music without thinking of Castlevania. Two personal favorites of mine are:

, from Symphony of the Night

and

, from Aria of Sorrow.

The Tragic Prince may seem to be the clear superior of the two (perhaps due to the celebrated guitar solo at the end), but Clock Tower is one of the best Castlevania tracks ever - I don't care how fake the guitar is! It really is too bad that Aria of Sorrow was a GBA game...

Silent Hill 2 - Promise

I would post a youtube link, but Sony Music Entertainment can suck my shiny dick.

It's really strange that they'd kill any youtube clip that just plays anything from SH2 but pretty much every other Silent Hill's OST is left alone.

Although I have seen some lets plays and play/walkthroughs of SH4's endings get butchered because of complaints and thus forced the sound to be muted.

Makes no sense.

YEEEEEEAH! I love this track because playing through SO3 was the first time I'd heard original rock music in a video game. Then this song track came up when I had to fight a DRAGON. So awesome. Oh, and this song was actually the inspiration for my Tales of Phantasia remix "Sumnoned Without Reason."

i KNEW it

ALL THIS TIME I KNEW IT

Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire (PC Engine CD) - Stage 3

I love the 80s sound in the song and the reverb that the lead guitars and the snare has. The soloing is exceptionally good as well.

Like the previous song, a distinct 80s style of production, but the music itself has a neoclassical style very reminiscent of the great Yngwie Malmsteen and guitar soloing rivaling his abilities as well!

Unlike the previous two songs this song has a more modern sound, but it's also one of the heaviest video game songs I've ever heard, making it one of my favorites. The soloing here is great as it is in most of the fantastic Guilty Gear music.