*NO* Super Mario Bros. 'Jazz Jamm Bros.'

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/smb1.zip - Track 1 ("Overworld BGM"), Track 12 ("Ending"), Track 2 ("Underground BGM") & Track 9 ("Game Over")

I'm not saying freeform-ish jazz can't have it's place here. I've certainly heard interesting material from guys like Koelsch1/The Anti-Jazz that has a lot of potential. (I'm not trying to classify the song. Vig, analoq, or DarkeSword would be better able to actually categorize what type of jazz it is.)

After a brief shot from the SMB Overworld theme intro, things went with an arrangement of the "Ending" theme from :05-:17 & freestyle original work from :17-:30 before bringing in the main theme from :30-1:03.

The "Underworld BGM" arrived at 1:09 and hung around until about 1:27. More freestyle stuffs, then the "Overworld BGM" chorus was back in from 1:49-2:12 before the tired (but true) "Game Over" jingle finish.

The arrangement ideas were interesting, but your samples are awful. Though that's holding you back, it's not simply the quality of the samples. The primary problem is that nothing sounds humanized at all. This MIDI-grade material, with such poor sample articulation and not enough textural cohesion, is just way below par.

A little cheesy, but the arrangement ideas were certainly up there for such a brief mix. Even for a medley remix, it didn't succumb to the verbatim cover trappings of medley-itis. But you'd have to work a miracle on the production side to get these samples working with some believeable velocity variation and so forth. You have no chance to humanize make your time.

NO (revise/resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Production is the main killer here. In particular, the recording quality is quite poor- there's a distant, overly-reverbed quality to many of the sounds that give the impression this is being played in a cave or something; plus, there is a persistant background hiss throughout the work.

The arrangement itself isn't too bad; although, given the amount of material presented here, this really ought to be longer.

NO

There's a lot of audio problems/crackling/clipping at the beginning and throughout. I too also thought there was too much reverb here. The trumpet/high pitched instrument is extremely shrill. I would lower that an octave at the very least. It's too much.

This needs more expansion of the ideas, of the length at this point. Also the production problems alone here doom this mix. Needs more polish. Fun mix on some levels though, but a NO all the same.