OCR02248 - Final Fantasy VIII "Night City Funk"

God, I love this track. Did I ever mention that this is one of my favorites from the WIP forums? I'm glad I had the opportunity to download it when you were showing it off there.

Very tasty soundscape, very nice take on the source. The dirty funk is awesome, and the robo voice is always a great addition (judges be damned!). In all seriousness, though, this is some sweet, sweet tunage, here.

Nice work! :nicework:

Let's see...

0:07 - 0:24 has a quite synth with the source.

0:25 - 0:41 has a harsh synth with a variation of the source.

0:41 - 0:49 that same synth plays the source straight.

0:50 - 1:22 is straight from the source.

2:13 - end is pretty much a continuous string of source (yeah, I got lazy).

It's pretty well saturated, if you listen for the source.

Glad you're all enjoying this, Gario is pretty much spot on with the source usage breakdown.

Thought I may as well share this:

for anyone that's interested in the vague history of this track.

That's a much older, unfinished remix of the same source from my old (haven't touched it in over a year) youtube page from when I first started ReMixing. I actually sampled and salvaged a little bit of this older remix, 'Night City Glitch', to make 'Night City Funk'.

• 3 weeks later...

It took me awhile to see where it was going, but when it hit, I was impressed. This is an underrated song from FF8, and you turned it into a great remix with that - as it's been said a million-billion times - Daft Punk feel.

Keep up the good work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, okay, I downloaded this a while back because I kinda liked the beat. ESPECIALLY the piano bit. But I didn't REALLY like this mix that much, you know? It was sort of a "well, it's alright, but I'm not crazy about it" deal.

Then it got stuck in my head.

Now, the source was catchy as is. But I didn't have the source playing in my brain. I had THIS EXACT MIX stuck in my head. So I put it on my iPod. I started playing it more, and more, and more.

I realized what was happening. Anti-Syne, you tricky little punk you. You made a viral song.

First listen got me "infected". Subsequent listens helped it "spread". I now listen to this mix at least three times a week, and most often more. I feel like a filthy addict, darn it. XD

On a more critical level? This mix is great. Greater than I thought when I first heard it. I just wish the piano breakdown bit lasted a little longer. But other than that, there is no way I could think of to improve on this. Great job.

• 2 weeks later...

I kind of agree with Inferno232. This mix is pretty fun the first time you listen to it, but it takes you over from there. It's one of my favorite songs to play at work. Fantastic.

The best compliment I can give? I know the source material by heart, but had no experience with Daft Punk or anything in this style at all.... and even though I've tried to find other remixes that pull this kind of thing off, nothing else comes close. Phenomenal.

• 3 months later...

Daft Punk is sure getting some love from the community in the mixes this year, and it shows pretty strongly in this mix, probably more than most. I find it hard to recognize the source on first listen until about 3/4 of the way through (maybe a little before? I'm not Larry Liontamer when it comes to stopwatching :tomatoface: ). Solid mix overall, although I feel it's more of a tribute to Daft Punk than Under Her Control.

• 10 months later...

So, a Daft Punk-ish take on Under her Control? Freaking sold on this one! Anti-Syne does some damn good work, and this was the one that started it off. I have to laugh at the robo-vocal after seeing Brandon's post, but this is really well put together. Night City Funk indeed, this is my kind of song and I'll be replaying this for quite a while.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02248 - Final Fantasy VIII "Night City Funk"